Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit History Books

I am wondering is there is a "definitive" Detroit history book someone knows of out there. I have more than my share of books on specific topics [[founding of Detroit, architecture, auto industry, Motown sound, famous Detroiters, etc). But I am really wondering if someone knows of a comprehensive, well written book about the city, from Indian times through the relatively modern era [[at least the 70's; after that I would call more "current events" and I remember them well enough). Specifically, I am interested in a book that incorporates the stories of our city into well written narrative, intertwining the sub-categories of geography, politics, economics, culture, etc. I am not looking to spark a debate about various books and their respective merits. I merely have an old NY friend who made the off-hand comment when I moved back to Detroit that she wishes she could read a book to get to know the city [[and she is visiting this summer, so she'll see us firsthand). I realized I did not have a "go to" book for her. For myriad subjects under the heading of Detroit yes, but not one book to summarize the last several hundred years. Any titles? Help would be appreciated.

PS I am looking for a book a la the histories [[on other topics) written by David McCullough or Simon Winchester. Thanks- Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I am wondering is there is a "definitive" Detroit history book someone knows of out there..... But I am really wondering if someone knows of a comprehensive, well written book about the city, from Indian times through the relatively modern era [[at least the 70's; after that I would call more "current events" and I remember them well enough). Specifically, I am interested in a book that incorporates the stories of our city into well written narrative, intertwining the sub-categories of geography, politics, economics, culture, etc.....
    I learned a lot by reading American Odyssey, which was written by Robert Conot back in 1974. His and several other good books are recommended in this archived DetroitYes thread
    Last edited by Mikeg; February-12-12 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I am wondering is there is a "definitive" Detroit history book someone knows of out there. I have more than my share of books on specific topics [[founding of Detroit, architecture, auto industry, Motown sound, famous Detroiters, etc). But I am really wondering if someone knows of a comprehensive, well written book about the city, from Indian times through the relatively modern era [[at least the 70's; after that I would call more "current events" and I remember them well enough). Specifically, I am interested in a book that incorporates the stories of our city into well written narrative, intertwining the sub-categories of geography, politics, economics, culture, etc. I am not looking to spark a debate about various books and their respective merits. I merely have an old NY friend who made the off-hand comment when I moved back to Detroit that she wishes she could read a book to get to know the city [[and she is visiting this summer, so she'll see us firsthand). I realized I did not have a "go to" book for her. For myriad subjects under the heading of Detroit yes, but not one book to summarize the last several hundred years. Any titles? Help would be appreciated.

PS I am looking for a book a la the histories [[on other topics) written by David McCullough or Simon Winchester. Thanks- Mikey
    I don't think there are any that cover the entire history up to contemporary times [[let's say written from 1990s to present). This is a book waiting to be written, it seems.... But there are a couple fellows from the past who wrote their comprehensive histories of Detroit...

Silas Farmer was not the city's first great historian, but he did record all the history of Detroit up until that time in his sprawling 1890 epic, called "History of Detroit and Wayne County, Michigan". It was probably the most comprehensive volume on Detroit history written at the time. It can be found on Google Books here:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=_Od...chigan&f=false

Clarence Burton was the city's great historian during its prime: 1900s-1930s. He was a great collector of Detroit history, artifacts, manuscripts, maps, and bought them up and created the Burton Historical Collection. He wrote books as mundane as "List of Streets in Detroit" to a colorful & detailed 5-volume history of the city, called "The City of Detroit, Michigan 1701-1922" . The first volume can be found here:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=jd3...page&q&f=false

In 1930, Clarence and Agnes Burton collaborated on the multi-volume "History of Wayne County and City of Detroit". I have a copy of just the first volume and it covers the history of Wayne County specifically, and the areas it encompassed [[Wayne County, in its infancy, covered much of the state), the geologic and Indian history, through the Detroit years, the formation of different municipalities and the growth of Detroit. It also paraphrases, compiles, and adds sections from the earlier "City of Detroit" book. Since it is written in 1930 and is one of his later books it might be the most 'current' history of the city. I can't find this one online or in his biographies but it is most likely found at the Detroit Public Library [[all of these books mentioned can probably be found at the DPS or specifically the Burton Collection. If you strike out, I know for a fact that U of M library definitely has these books).

For later decades, my favorite is "The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit" by Thomas Sugrue.

It seems like there are a lot of writers with opinions out there, focusing on specific subjects, and we haven't seen the likes of Farmer or Burton in a long time.... Maybe the city is due for its next multi-volume or 200-page definitive history? Maybe something I don't know about that the folks here can help us with?

But damn, none of this is weekend reading. I gotta plug Amy Elliot Bragg's new book "Hidden History of Detroit", a very fun read. And it's not five volumes long.

Have fun searching!
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; February-12-12 at 02:43 AM.

I see on amazon that a book called "Detroit: A Biography" is coming out in April. That looks to be a broad-in-scope book on the city's history.

The only book I've read on Detroit is "the origins of the urban crisis," which is a well written exploration of race relations and deindustrialization from the 1940s to he 1960s. It definitely has an academic slant to it and isn't a popular history, but it is full of lots of interesting anecdotes and analysis on what went wrong in Detroit in that period.

Thank you all very much. You know, I've always thought a History Book Club would be a fun thing to start. Kind of like the Junior Readers Club we had in elementary school. The books mentioned would be good titles to start with. You know, I should also probably pay a visit to the DPL & DHM. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I learned a lot by reading American Odyssey, which was written by Robert Conot back in 1974. His and several other good books are recommended in this archived DetroitYes thread
    As Mikeg suggested, look at the archived thread for a good discussion of this topic. American Odyssey would still be my recommendation for a readable history of Detroit. While it is out of print, used copies seem to be available on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/American-odyss.../dp/0688002617

Some oldies but goodies in terms of readable histories of Detroit from its early days through the 1920s and 1940s when these books were published:

Catlin, George B. The Story of Detroit. Detroit: The Detroit News, 1923.

Pound, Arthur. Detroit: Dynamic City. New York: D. Appleton-Century, 1940.
    Beautifully illustrated by E.H. Suydam.

Stark, George. City of Destiny. Detroit: Arnold-Powers, 1943.

"Arc of Justice" by Kevin Boyle is a brilliant essential read, the best book I've read about Detroit.. It's centered on the Ossian Sweet story and goes deep into a lot of history...
    Boyle is a great writer.

Some of the best history books on Detroit I've seen are at the Burton Historical Library. They have the first Detroit City Directory that was printed in 1835.

Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    "Arc of Justice" by Kevin Boyle is a brilliant essential read, the best book I've read about Detroit.. It's centered on the Ossian Sweet story and goes deep into a lot of history...
    Boyle is a great writer.
    If you are interested in Arc of Justice, you might be interested in these upcoming events:

Great Michigan Read: "Arc of Justice" Sweet Trials Reenactment, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 7pm. Kevin Boyle’s book Arc of Justice tells the story of African American Dr. Ossian Sweet and the chain of events that occurred after he purchased a home for his family in an all-white Detroit neighborhood in 1925. This encore performance of Dr. Sweet's Tinderbox, by Brenda Perryman, is a dramatization of the historic Detroit murder trials involving Dr. Ossian Sweet, Clarence Darrow, and Judge Frank Murphy that became an early and significant marker for civil rights efforts.
    Free and open to the public. This event takes place at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, located at 315 E. Warren.
    http://www.thewright.org/upcoming-ev...al-performance

Michigan Reads! Book Discussion: Arc of Justice: A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age, Monday, February 27, 2012, 7pm. In the steamy summer of 1925, Detroit, like many northern cities, was in the throes of rising tension from racism as native-born whites, immigrants, and blacks, drawn by the flourishing automobile industry, jockeyed for jobs and housing in the teeming metropolis. In the jazz-age era of changing social mores and rising expectations, Dr. Ossian Sweet, grandson of a slave, attempted to move into a working-class white neighborhood. His neighbors, fanned into a panic by avaricious real-estate brokers and the growing presence of the Ku Klux Klan, threaten Sweet and his family with violent eviction. In self-defense, Sweet and his friends arm themselves and end up killing a member of the mob. The murder indictment of Sweet, his wife, and their defenders attracts Clarence Darrow as defense attorney and the newly organized NAACP, which was in the midst of a national campaign against racial restrictions in housing. This program is hosted by the Sterling Heights Public located at 40255 Dodge Park Rd., Sterling Heights, MI 48313. No registration required. http://sl.libcoop.net/sterling/lib/eventcalendar.asp

I also recommend Silas Farmers' History of Detroit and Wayne County. It is fascinating reading. It was written in 1890. Frontier metropolis Detroit from 1701-1840 is another very good book.