Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Obama ‘Accommodation’ for Religious Organizations

Obama to Announce Contraception Rule ‘Accommodation’ for Religious Organizations

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...aception-rule/

U.S. Catholic bishops oppose Obama birth-control plan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46343533.../#.TzdVPyN92pJ

How about this for a headline: Catholic Bishops Want to Have their Cake and Eat It Too.

Occurrence Guest

Another good headline would read: Nobody Cares What Catholic Bishops Think.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Another good headline would read: Nobody Cares What Catholic Bishops Think.
    Except Fox News.

Btw - You should have seen Jon Stewart rip these people up last night for their stance. Yes, they are pathetic. And so is Fox.

Yet, no one answers the underlying fundamental questions - where does the federal government get the authority to dictate what any health plan must include or, for that matter, exclude? where does the federal govt get the authority to order insurers to provide "free" [[meaning, paid for by everyone) anything? what else can the federal govt force insurers to give away "free" [[i.e., paid for by everyone else) or, for that matter, prohibit insurers from offering?

I hope these questions are answered when the Supreme court decides the constitutionality of Obamacare.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Yet, no one answers the underlying fundamental questions - where does the federal government get the authority to dictate what any health plan must include or, for that matter, exclude?
    Probably from the same place organized religions get the authority to make or influence laws that affect the rest of us who aren't religious. Or something like that.

Yet, no one answers the underlying fundamental questions - where does the federal government get the authority to dictate what any health plan must include or, for that matter, exclude? where does the federal govt get the authority to order insurers to provide "free" [[meaning, paid for by everyone) anything? what else can the federal govt force insurers to give away "free" [[i.e., paid for by everyone else) or, for that matter, prohibit insurers from offering?

I hope these questions are answered when the Supreme court decides the constitutionality of Obamacare.
    Before you can answer those questions these questions need to be asked

1) Do you think that there were any problems with health care before the affordable care act was signed into law ?

2) If you felt there were problems how would you have addressed them ?

Of course the most basic questions one should answer is Do you consider a high standard of health care a right or a privilege

If you felt health care was fine or a privilege then we have no discussion.

I hear alot about the gov't keeps telling me what to do, yet I don't hear any alternate plans other than die early or lets pass out some vouchers that won't come anywhere near your cost of health care.
    Last edited by firstandten; February-15-12 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Obama to Announce Contraception Rule ‘Accommodation’ for Religious Organizations

U.S. Catholic bishops oppose Obama birth-control plan
    It burns me when the administration attempts to compromise with one of the most hypocritical institutions in US society. The Catholic church wants to lecture us on birth-control and they have been unable to "control" many of their priests for the last 4 to 5 decades

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Before you can answer those questions these questions need to be asked

1) Do you think that there were any problems with health care before the affordable care act was signed into law ?

2) If you felt there were problems how would you have addressed them ?

Of course the most basic questions one should answer is Do you consider a high standard of health care a right or a privilege

If you felt health care was fine or a privilege then we have no discussion.

I hear alot about the gov't keeps telling me what to do, yet I don't hear any alternate plans other than die early or lets pass out some vouchers that won't come anywhere near your cost of health care.
    My answers to these questions, or anyone's for that matter, are not relevant to the issues of government authority and the constitutionality of the federal government to force people to buy health insurance. The more we mix the issues, the worse governance we get.

My answers to these questions, or anyone's for that matter, are not relevant to the issues of government authority and the constitutionality of the federal government to force people to buy health insurance. The more we mix the issues, the worse governance we get.
    But they are relevant because one thing leads to another. Now if you want the benefits that the affordable care act provides and it does provide you with benefits that you aren't getting now then you need to have insurance or you don't have to buy insurance just pay the surtax. Just like you don't appreciate having the government force you to buy insurance [[which isn't completely true as I just stated) I don't appreciate the uninsured using the ER as there doctors office and I don't fault the uninsured for doing what they have too.

If you think that SCOTUS will rule that they will find Obamacare unconstitutional because of that then think again , even with the neocon majority.

Besides we are forced to do many things per government edict, if you don't like it, then you should find a nice libertarian paradise to lay your head on.
    Last edited by firstandten; February-15-12 at 11:48 AM.

Yet, no one answers the underlying fundamental questions - where does the federal government get the authority to dictate what any health plan must include or, for that matter, exclude?
    In the case of the catholic church, how about the nearly $3 B they accepted from the federal gov. last year.

Is this subject something that the majority of Americans are actually worried about right now? I understand that a lot of people feel passionately about the subject, but doesn't it seem a bit curious that all attention has been turned to this specific matter.

Oh, that's right, the economy has been looking a bit better lately. Let's change the subject. If the economy happens to fall again, we can return to focusing our attention on that again. Always focus on the negative. And always, always remember the golden rule in politics, divide and conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    In the case of the catholic church, how about the nearly $3 B they accepted from the federal gov. last year.
    How about the fact that they don't have to pay any taxes, but would love to tell both the government and the private sector what they should and should not do with their money. Hmmm....... must be nice.

The church hierarchy's heads are back in the good old days, the middle ages.

i'm more inclined to say that they are too busy giving themselves colonoscopies to notice that the world has changed

Withstanding the hypocrisy issues, interestingly a large number of democratic voters are Catholic, serving the dem cause therein.

Accordingly [[dems and repub respectively) have NOT always objected to governmental expansion and policy setting 'inclusive' of these areas as it's turn out.

All was fine so long as they were getting what they wanted.

But the 'blob' of big government usually pushes thru to areas not anticipated... [[though the birth control policy change could be seen around the corner).

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    It burns me when the administration attempts to compromise with one of the most hypocritical institutions in US society. The Catholic church wants to lecture us on birth-control and they have been unable to "control" many of their priests for the last 4 to 5 decades

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012...birth-control/

Doctors say all employers should cover birth control.

Even the employers of jobs sent offshore to evade that requirement? Import taxes might be in order to make that option less attractive.

re: import taxes

There have been a few attempts lately.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...bmw-falls.html

This isn't government forcing something on people, it is government denying corporate entities the right to force their beliefs on their employees. good for them