Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Election Board Snubbed, Cannabis Legalization Possibly Up for Vote Soon

Wasnt this the initiative that Charles Pugh basicly threw out on his own? As I remember it was obvious it would be back but its taken two years to do so. Looks like this ones gonna pass but the statewide will not, from what Ive read anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Wasnt this the initiative that Charles Pugh basicly threw out on his own? As I remember it was obvious it would be back but its taken two years to do so. Looks like this ones gonna pass but the statewide will not, from what Ive read anyway.
    According to this article, it looks like the Election Commission nixayed this ballot proposal on the advice of C of D law department:
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...legalization_b

For the life of me, I'll never figure out why liberals are adamant about making it illegal to smoke tobacco anywhere, yet scream for the legalization of cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    For the life of me, I'll never figure out why liberals are adamant about making it illegal to smoke tobacco anywhere, yet scream for the legalization of cannabis.
    Because it's way more fun and way less stinky and addictive?

<sigh>

That's the problem with labels, Ray. They never fit, but nearly everyone uses 'em. You will never figure it out, because they are designed to keep folks at arm's length and never actually encounter logical argument, only tidbits to get you inflamed.

That said, I've been called a liberal...and while I've greatly enjoyed the smoke-free atmosphere of the bars and restaurants in town now...I think what they've done against tobacco is just horrible. Increasing the cost of cigarettes...considering treated and non-treated tobacco the same...it is all bullshit designed to get into the deepest and oldest pockets of wealth in the country. Remember that tobacco was one of the first cash crops planted before we were a nation. That wealth runs deep, and is still surviving even against this onslaught.

I want it ALL legalized, and desperately want the CIA out of the distribution chain. People have argument against the distilled and/or lab-created drugs...some of that is valid. Heck, even Jagermeister is a world worse than mere beer.

But THIS plant which grows ubiquitously all over the world...and has SO many positive properties and uses...this prohibition needs to end. Yesterday.

Free Cannabis!

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; February-11-12 at 06:50 PM.

For the record, liberls are adamant about making it illegal to smoke tobacco IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, I would also be in favor of doing the same thing we do with tobacco currently with Marijuana.

Occurrence Guest

I'll never figure out why conservatives cry for small government and personal liberties, but don't have a problem with the government telling us what we can put in our bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For the record, liberls are adamant about making it illegal to smoke tobacco IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, I would also be in favor of doing the same thing we do with tobacco currently with Marijuana.
    As long as that is only Indoor public, closed airspaces...those without air exchangers and flow control...then I agree wholeheartedly. Nobody should ever have to breathe another's smoke in closed airspaces.

Outdoors? We should be able to smoke what we want, as long as MOST of the smoke gets filtered by our own lungs first! Any secondhand smoke is a waste, anyways. [[which is why I use a one-hitter dugout for my medicinal applications).

But for those who CHOOSE to create and join smoking clubs, whether tobacco...cannabis...opium...even crack, I don't care. They should have that choice to create their own private spaces to do what they want. Period. As long as it is posted clearly, and everyone who enters knows what they are going into.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-11-12 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I'll never figure out why conservatives cry for small government and personal liberties, but don't have a problem with the government telling us what we can put in our bodies.
    Or do WITH our bodies, especially those curious smooth and tender parts!

If I open a bar I should be able to choose if ppl can smoke inside. Its my fucking bar.

I consider myself on the liberal side but damn us liberals can get up into ppls asses. I want the best of both worlds I guess. Fuck a big government.

If I open a bar I should be able to choose if ppl can smoke inside. Its my fucking bar.
    Yes, but you've opened it to the public. If a substance is deemed a risk to a person's health, someone should also have the right to not be subjected to that substance because some people refuse to keep their use of that substance in their own private space [[I.E. home, car, non-public place, etc.)

Amen. I am not a fan of smoking period. Only people in my family to have bouts with cancer have been heavy smokers. The cancer type? Lung. The result? Not good.

Yes, but you've opened it to the public. If a substance is deemed a risk to a person's health, someone should also have the right to not be subjected to that substance because some people refuse to keep their use of that substance in their own private space [[I.E. home, car, non-public place, etc.)
    The public chooses where they go, they have the right not to enter my bar that allows smoking. Sure its a public bar but there is no reason why anyone has to enter. A public building such as a DMV or police station where people HAVE to enter is a diff story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon;303152[B
    ]That's the problem with labels, Ray. They never fit, but nearly everyone uses 'em.[/B] You will never figure it out, because they are designed to keep folks at arm's length and never actually encounter logical argument, only tidbits to get you inflamed.
    Amen, Brother John!

43% of Michigan's population lives within the metro area, if it passes here its very possible that it will be followed by a state legalization in the near future. i tried up-voteing this thread and forgot this isn't Reddit. word up to all you ents out here.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Amen. I am not a fan of smoking period. Only people in my family to have bouts with cancer have been heavy smokers. The cancer type? Lung. The result? Not good.
    There has never been a case of lung cancer proven to be caused directly from smoking marijuana. Also, you don't have to smoke cannabis. You can eat it or vaporize it.

The anti-smoking hysteria is silly. The public needs to be protected from people? I thought that people were the public.

Don't like smoke? Smoke my joint.

Occurrence Guest

What about people's cars? I have been walking before and I could smell exhaust from running cars. That's not good to breathe in. Why is that OK, but bar owners allowing people to smoke in their bar not?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    What about people's cars? I have been walking before and I could smell exhaust from running cars. That's not good to breathe in. Why is that OK, but bar owners allowing people to smoke in their bar not?
    That's a very poor strawman.

When's the last time you've heard of a person dying from car exhaust [[second hand)?

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    43% of Michigan's population lives within the metro area, if it passes here its very possible that it will be followed by a state legalization in the near future.
    As long as the DEA has a say, it won't.

Same fight is happening out west where some places have legalized it, but the DEA is still making raids under Federal charges.

That's a very poor strawman.

When's the last time you've heard of a person dying from car exhaust [[second hand)?
    Increased childhood asthma within 500 feet of a freeway is medical fact. But I guess since upper- and middle-class people drive through poor neighborhoods, that's OK. And yet lower-class people can't even smoke in their own bars because ... somebody with money might come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Increased childhood asthma within 500 feet of a freeway is medical fact.
    Citation needed. Linking specific medical conditions to environmental factors is exceedingly difficult. Assuming from your certainty of fact, there is a boatload of studies and controlled experiments proving a causal link.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Increased childhood asthma within 500 feet of a freeway is medical fact. But I guess since upper- and middle-class people drive through poor neighborhoods, that's OK. And yet lower-class people can't even smoke in their own bars because ... somebody with money might come in.
    Note, I did not say car exhaust wasn't bad, I said it's not nearly as bad as cigarette smoke.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20040...-air-pollution

They measured air pollution levels every two minutes during the tests. They also measured pollution particle matter for an additional 90 minutes after the engine was turned off and the cigarettes had burned out. The car's exhaust and cigarettes were placed in the same position.
    Researchers focused on fine particulate matter air pollution -- microscopic particles in the air that measure less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, which is about the size of cigarette smoke particles.
    The cigarettes produced 10 times as much particulate matter as the auto, comparing the first hour after starting the engine with the first hour after lighting the cigarettes.
    Fact of the matter is inhaling smoke from people who are standing around the doorway of a business will kill you faster than cars passing by on the road.

Furthermore, cars are a mean of transportation for the public, and too vital to regulate OFF the road due to questionable health impacts [[I agree we should regulate them to be manufactured more environmentally friendly).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast