Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Papa's Pizza burned down in Grandmont

http://www.freep.com/article/2012020...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

I rode the bus past the Papa's Pizza this morning and fire and police crews were still there with a front end loader moving the rubble around. A few months ago, the hardware store down the street burned down and it doesn't seem like they are coming back. It's too bad to see these businesses burn down in a pretty nice neighborhood.... A neighboring clothing store also closed down and doesn't seem to be coming back. At least there are 5 or more dry cleaning businesses left on that strip of Grand River. Does anyone know why there are so many dry cleaning shops right there?

Thankfully the GRDC does good economic redevelopment work over there.

Sounds like that funny lightning to me. I mean someone's just cashing in their chips and moving the business to the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Sounds like that funny lightning to me. I mean someone's just cashing in their chips and moving the business to the suburbs.
    Yep, at least Tubby's, Subway [[2), KFC, McDonalds, LJS/A&M, Wendy's, Popeye's, and White Castle are still there. I won't starve to death, that's for sure. I just hope they clean that building up soon. The abandonment keeps creeping in around that area.

detroitjim Guest

It ain't no coincidence Papas pizza done burnt up last week. Offa VanDyke an 7 mile on the easside. I'm bettin that theys havin a feud wiff [[Cr)happys pizza dealers.

Ya very similar themes. Crappy food at cheap prices that dumb people that don't know any better buy!

Unfortunately, the desolation on Grand river is now west of Greenfield, and dare I say it, west of St. Mary's. They need to tear this buidling and the Hardware store down as quickly as possible.

I love that old gas station on the corner of Mettetal next to Tri-county lock [[which is an old Packard dealership). I wish he would do something with that, but I know that's probably a pipe dream for anyone in this area in this market.

And Cross Plumbing is still my go to for really, really, really hard to find plumbing parts......

Support your neighborhood businesses.

That pizza place started out as a Papa Romano's, which I think was part of the much-ballyhooed plan to open a dozen locations in the city. I remember Kwame Kilpatrick boasting about that agreement. Within a couple of years it was "Papa's" and "Romano" was gone.

The food wasn't very good there, but the building was pretty new looking inside. I hope the building is torn down. Aren't there laws to make the property owners clean this crap up? Obviously they aren't enforced if the laws do exist. The amount of burned down buildings on Grand River suggest that Papa's and the Hardware store aren't going to be cleaned up any time soon.

The one on Van Dyke burned last week. No way 2 stores burn in the same week.

Im sure someone had a beef with them, and this is arson

Cuttin into their ghetto pizza chain profits. Every ghetto, trailer park, low income area has one.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    It ain't no coincidence Papas pizza done burnt up last week. Offa VanDyke an 7 mile on the easside. I'm bettin that theys havin a feud wiff [[Cr)happys pizza dealers.
    I'm surprised people don't like Happy's all that much. Never had their pizza but the chicken and jumbo shrimp were good. Happy's opened franchises here in Chicago, but none of them are in the loop or RN which pisses me off because there's only pricier pizza restaurants around here. I'd be hitting that place up every weekend for food after a bar or party on my way home.