Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default National Geographic talks up Detroit

Nice article about "Coming Home"!!

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...roit-traveler/

Thanks for the link!

I heard about this pending article last year from the Michigan Building owner, since the National Geographic photographer took images of the inside of the former theatre [[not sure they made the final cut). The owner had the photographer EMAIL me, and I gave him some background tips on the city and its' surviving treasures. The photographer sent me a stunning image of the surviving auditorium ceiling in glorious color [[not hidden in its' usual twilight).

Then the entire article was put on the back burner for a year. Glad it finally came out!

I tell him I’m here because I hear Detroit is coming back.

Distelrath grins. “There’s more to us than this train station. Go to Slows Bar BQ,”
    Facepalm..

That's a fun article!

Even outsiders have started arriving, drawn by a sense of adventure. A new resident had told me: “If you visit Detroit, you’re an explorer. Be prepared for a rich, very soulful experience.”
    I have encountered a large number of such people over the years of DetroitYES. Everyone was deeply moved the experience and inspired by all the energy happening below the radar.

Detroit has emerged as a symbol for Great Recession America. When we get well America gets well is the rising theme. Much like the sentiment played out in the Clint Eastwood Chrysler ad.

Great article. It sounds like there are a lot of people who want to make Detroit great again. Just gotta solve the crime problem...

I've always felt NG is one of, if not thee most important media outlet to influence our humanity. So I'm not surprised when they take notice of our great city.

If anyone here on DYes is a subscriber to NG, please consider donating your older mags to your local school. Their mags can be a bit pricey but they provide such a unique look into cultures and places of the far corners of the world, it would do children a great service to be exposed to the knowledge this organization provides.

Here's one of the National Geographic images that didn't make it to the article....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/...57626093396465

It's definitely worth zooming into the image for maximum size to see all the details. It is amazing all the detail that can be captured by time lapse photography.