Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paczki Day is coming soon.

Set your calendar for Tuesday, February 21st. because Paczki Day is coming. People from all around will flood to those Polish own bakeries [[including Hamtramck) the center of it all. But those calorie and sugar loaded Paczkis YUM YUM!

I haven't been to one of the original Hamtramck bakeries - previously settled for the Meijer knockoffs - but want to try this year. What's your favorite Hamtramck bakery?

The Hamtramck area will be minus one this year with New Deluxe bakery closing up shop a few months ago. The lines at New Martha Washington and New Palace are going to be even more crazy this year. I like the paczkis from NMW better than NP, but they're pretty similiar.

The best paczki I've had in recent years was from the Tel-Way on Michigan Avenue. I stopped to get a coffee about three years ago and picked up a paczki and it was the real deal. This thing was sugar glazed and heavy. When you ate this paczki you knew you were downing a lot of calories.

I don't those knock off Paczkis. Go to REAL Polish bakery and a REAL Polish made Paczkis. Only the Polish can make the best Paczkis in the planet.

I just don't understand why paczek consumption needs to be limited to one day a year. *Sigh*

I can't wait for Paczki Day! Here's what Small's has planned this year:

Small's Bar [[10339 Conant at the corner of Caniff) will have complimentary paczki for customers while supplies last. We'll also have "paczki bombs," which are mini-paczki filled with flavored booze [[custard paczki with vanilla vodka is my favorite).

The bar will be open 10 a.m.-2 a.m. on Tues. Feb. 21. The Polka Floyd Show [[Pink Floyd cover band, polka-style) will perform at 6 p.m. They will perform "The Wall" in its entirety. A dirty sea shanty trio, Captains of the Head will also make their debut on Paczki Day at Small's. Come in and pick up a limited-edition 2012 Paczki Day t-shirt.

NO COVER ALL DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I just don't understand why paczek consumption needs to be limited to one day a year. *Sigh*
    Paczek are a very sacred Polish treat for givin up sweets before Lent. Thanks to media attention. Paczek has became a promotional local pop-culture holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    The Hamtramck area will be minus one this year with New Deluxe bakery closing up shop a few months ago. The lines at New Martha Washington and New Palace are going to be even more crazy this year. I like the paczkis from NMW better than NP, but they're pretty similiar.

The best paczki I've had in recent years was from the Tel-Way on Michigan Avenue. I stopped to get a coffee about three years ago and picked up a paczki and it was the real deal. This thing was sugar glazed and heavy. When you ate this paczki you knew you were downing a lot of calories.
    The one from Tel-Way may have come from Supreme Bakery just a stone's throw away from Tel-Way.

Quote Originally Posted by beanietek View Post
    The one from Tel-Way may have come from Supreme Bakery just a stone's throw away from Tel-Way.
    I did a search on this place and people were raving about the paczkis so it very well could be the bakery TW got their paczkis from. I might stop in this place the next time I'm in the area.

I was at Kroger yesterday they were already selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Paczek are a very sacred Polish treat for givin up sweets before Lent. Thanks to media attention. Paczek has became a promotional local pop-culture holiday.
    While that may be true, paczki are available in any cukiernia in Poland on a daily basis--not just Fat Tuesday.

I like the Polish approach better than the American. ;-)

You can buy paczki any day in Hamtramck or Detroit, too. I always pick up a couple whenever I'm back home. I'm partial to the blueberry from Sunnyside, but they also have paczki whenever I'm at New Palace, New Martha W., Polish Market, or Stan's.

New Deluxe was my go to. This may be true with other bakeries but if you call a couple days ahead of time you can pre-order and skip the line a bit??? Correct me if I am wrong.

Then it's off to New Dodge until it gets too crowded...

Is there a way to make them without eggs? I'm allergic, so i've never been able to enjoy..

I will not rest until there is a Pawpaw flavored Paczki.