Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Civic Drugs in Dearborn

Kind of a longshot, but I'm wondering if anybody has an old picture of the Civic Drugs drugstore that was on the corner of Michigan and Greenfield in the 60s to early 70s. It became an Arbor and then [[and currently), a CVS.

Thanks so much for anyone's help.

And so ya know, I did try Dearborn libraries and the Dearborn Historical Museum. Thanks again!

Kudos for trying traditional research before pipiing up.

I don't have any photos, and I don't remember anything there except a COLOR TILE.

I wonder if Bruce Harkness could help. He was Dearborn's official photographer for years and may know more. Good luck!

That is the building on the SE corner...attached to what was originally a Hudson's or K-Mart outlet store. I want to say Hudson's originally...but the mental image is fuzzy. That was 40 years ago!

I do know that on the same side of Greenfield, but across Michigan Avenue, there used to be a Chatham Grocery store...and Andy's Beer&Wine [[who always got the first Sunday drop off the Free Press truck on Saturday nights...)

Cheers!

I grew up in the Joy/Greenfield area and used to ride my bike to the Civic Drugs as a teenager. They carried many products not found anywhere else. Civic became an Arbor Drugs, then Perry Drugs. It was next to the Hudson's Budget Store, which later became a Kmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That is the building on the SE corner...attached to what was originally a Hudson's or K-Mart outlet store. I want to say Hudson's originally...but the mental image is fuzzy. That was 40 years ago!

I do know that on the same side of Greenfield, but across Michigan Avenue, there used to be a Chatham Grocery store...and Andy's Beer&Wine [[who always got the first Sunday drop off the Free Press truck on Saturday nights...)

Cheers!
    You're correct it was a Hudson's Budget Store prior. One of two, another one was located in the Warehouse on Warren near Schaefer. The Drug Store used to be much smaller, and if I am not mistaken was one of Arbor Drugs first [[if not the first) locations. It was butted right up to the Hudson's and there were other stores toward Greenfield. Darned if I can remember those.

T-Bird, Perrys was bought by Rite-Aid. This store was never a Perry's, though its easy to make that assumption. Many of the old Cunninghams in this area became Apexes which then became Perry's which then became Rite-Aid stores. There was a lot of Drug Store gobbling happening at that time!

You're right. Arbor was bought by CVS--not Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Cheers!
    I forget you know the old hood. I think the Chatham's was on the east side of Greenfield. And there was a little party store and a little bar there on the corner around Henn or Paul. The only things that remain, IIRC, are the Clark station and the Gracie-See pizzeria.

Actually isn't the Clark Station now a 7-11 with pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Actually isn't the Clark Station now a 7-11 with pumps?
    Looking at Google street view, I believe you're correct. So Gracie-See would seem to be the sole survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Looking at Google street view, I believe you're correct. So Gracie-See would seem to be the sole survivor.
    Grew up in Franklin Park [[Cody) before settling into Warrendale once I got outta college.

My first W2 came from Civics, 69-70. It was suggested I find employment elsewhere when discovered eating unpurchased Ekrich Balogna and Kraft cheese slices with Borden's chocolate milk while 'stocking' the cooler...but don't have any photos, sorry.