Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

They might want to change their company name to MAM; Mexican axle and manufacturing...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    They might want to change their company name to MAM; Mexican axle and manufacturing...
    I've been getting some mileage out of the same exact joke lately.

neat. I wonder will there be any new jobs at all at this facility?
    Where does the company get its cucumbers? Michigan farms at all? Perhaps if Detroit-based farming can take off to some degree, this can be a cooperative effort.

Hype, most 'cukes come from da tumb and Saginaw Valley. They are rotated with the sugar beets and corn. Vlasic used to have huge operations in towns like Croswell.

This plant's location will allow the cukes to get trucked in via I-75 or M-53. Pretty good location.

A pickle plant in Hamtramck makes sense to me. Anyone up for some dill pickle soup?

Just curious, as I drive past here every day. Is this the building between Omaha Automation and the old Ivan Doverspike carcass? That would make for a bustling little corner, with the RIC, Wolverine and Freezer Services.

Their bloody mary mix is incredible - and also the only vegetarian bloody mary mix I've seen.

McClure's is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I've been getting some mileage out of the same exact joke lately.
    I pretty much expected that Islandman! Cool!

Wonder how long before Bay Valley swallows them?

So the pickle factory expands into AMA, wasnt Kowalski looking to expand, would not even have to leave town. Oh thats not the plan, they want a tax break or they will leave town.

Well I finally broke down and bought a jar of their pickles. I was not impressed. I paid $9 and in my opinion they are not nearly as good as Topor's or Vlasic deli dills or even the Meijer version of deli dills. They are somewhat better than store-brand dill pickle spears, but not by much.

But I wish them luck opening and operating a facility in Detroit, you can't fault them for trying. And maybe I bought a bad batch, but at $9/jar I won't be giving them a second try anytime soon.

I love them. They remind me of the home made ones my Grandma used to make. They make a great Bloody Mary mix too.

Anyone know the name of the pickles made at the pickle factory which used to be on St Aubin and Farnsworth?

This company must be doing well. I just picked up a jar of their dill pickles from my usual supermarket in Vancouver, BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    This company must be doing well. I just picked up a jar of their dill pickles from my usual supermarket in Vancouver, BC.
    Spicy pickles are great and the Bloody Mary Mix is fantastic too.

Default McClure's Pickles Moving To American Axle

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    neat. I wonder will there be any new jobs at all at this facility?
    Where does the company get its cucumbers? Michigan farms at all? Perhaps if Detroit-based farming can take off to some degree, this can be a cooperative effort.
    I was wondering the samething too, how are the cucumbers being transported to this facility. Truck or Rail? Both the I-75 Freeway & CN/GTW Holly Sub Railroad Tracks are there.

The last major pickle maker historically to be in Detroit and Michigan related was Vlasic. Their a pickle processing plant is in Imlay City.

Quote Originally Posted by j32885 View Post
    I was wondering the samething too, how are the cucumbers being transported to this facility. Truck or Rail? Both the I-75 Freeway & CN/GTW Holly Sub Railroad Tracks are there.....
    There must be someone here who knows about rail shipping. Am curious. I doubt its economical to ship perishable, light items by rail in smallish quantities. But don't know. My guess is that rail would rather spend their energies moving 6 100-car trains of coal daily from Wyoming to Duluth, and not so much 1 traincar twice a week from the Thumb to Hamtramck.

Quote Originally Posted by j32885 View Post
    I was wondering the samething too, how are the cucumbers being transported to this facility. Truck or Rail?
    Having to make that decision could leave them in a pickle.

I saw several varieties of of McClure's pickles in my local Vancouver supermarket recently. They now say Product of India. I didn't buy.

I saw several varieties of of McClure's pickles in my local Vancouver supermarket recently. They now say Product of India. I didn't buy.
    HA!! Now you know why I shop at Aldi's. All their products [[minus seasonal produce) are made either in the USA, Germany or other parts of Europe. Dollar Stores, Kroger and other retailers sell some items from China, Vietnam, and as you mention... India. I avoid that stuff like the plague....
    Last edited by Gistok; July-11-19 at 02:59 AM.

Are you serious?!

Here's what McClure's has to say about this [[in response to a question from someone named Sherry on their Facebook page, posted last November):

Hi Sherry! Not all of our pickles are produced in India. Some of our "Big Box" retailers require a lower price point, and have opted for this option as a way to keep prices down. But know that we carefully sourced our partner. The family in India is much like ours: two brothers that care a great deal about product quality and food safety. I hope that helps. Know that we still make so so many pickles in Detroit -- our home town -- and we always will.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Here's what McClure's has to say about this [[in response to a question from someone named Sherry on their Facebook page, posted last November):

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Bull on the "two brothers"; they're running a pickle "sweat shop" over there. Last McClure pickle I ate was the last one I eat.
    Last edited by jcole; July-11-19 at 08:29 AM.

Mmm I love pickles!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Topors always were the best, they're as good today as they were 40 years ago.
    100% These are the best Michigan pickles. The next best outside of Michigan are Bubbies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast