Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default McClure's Pickles to move to Detroit/American Axle

Troy-based Mc'Clure's pickles is officially moving to Detroit. Well more specifically, the company is moving to 8201 St. Aubin, in a 20,000 square foot former American Axle manufacturing plant behind the Russell Industrial Center.

Hahahaha. Oh, man. That's funny. Welcome to Detroit-Hamtramck.

I hope making pickles in a former axle plant doesnt turn them into pixels, eh?

Check out their website. Their t-shirts are made in Brooklyn, New York. I shall never eat another McClure's pickle!

Detroit News article. I've never had one of their pickles; how are they?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...mer-American-A

They're OK. I prefer Perkin's.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Check out their website. Their t-shirts are made in Brooklyn, New York. I shall never eat another McClure's pickle!
    That's awesome! But if you look closer, they are actually screen printed in Brooklyn. The T-Shirts before Screen Printing are Distributed from either East/West Coat or South Carolina. Before that they are made in Honduras.

In all seriousness though, when I'm back in Michigan I will be giving these a try.

Does Mudgie's still provide pickles as an appetizer while waiting for meal, I know that Eph's used to do it and Mudgie's continued with the same deal. But for some reason the last time I was at Mudgie's I don;t remember having them?

SteveJ Guest

I think I paid $4 for a little jar of their relish and it was disgusting. Not a huge fan. They are $$$ but someone is buying them and they are creating jobs so thats good.

A once legendary AAM plant is now a sleazy pickle factory. YUM YUM! now those East Indians and Yemenese folks can havest and cut those pickles and put into the jar. It would be nice the pickle with go on Koegel polish dogs.

YAY Hamtramck residents are saved, now they can stay and save its downtown from becoming like Chene St.

The pickles are really good. I would buy them more often if they werent $10 a jar.

Default Topors are the best!

Topors are the Best!

That entire blue complex is going to be a pickle factory? That's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That entire blue complex is going to be a pickle factory? That's hilarious!
    I doubt it. 8201 St. Aubin is a smallish stand-alone building at the southernmost end of the complex, and the complex as a whole has to be a lot bigger than 20,000 square feet.

GUSHI Guest

I'm gonna try this michigan product, next time I'm at the store, but the price seems a little pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I doubt it. 8201 St. Aubin is a smallish stand-alone building at the southernmost end of the complex, and the complex as a whole has to be a lot bigger than 20,000 square feet.
    Ok yes, I didn't notice the little info box at the end of the article.

Best pickles I've ever had were "Hengstenberg"... a German brand without as much of a vinegary flavor... they have those at Meijer's and Nino Salvaggio's.

I love supporting local businesses, but unfortunately I can't stand pickles.

I just read an article that stated that they were operating out of a 2,300 square foot kitchen a few years ago. It's great to see a local company expanding, good for them.

Is the buidling sandwiched in between Hamtramck and Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    In all seriousness though, when I'm back in Michigan I will be giving these a try.

Does Mudgie's still provide pickles as an appetizer while waiting for meal, I know that Eph's used to do it and Mudgie's continued with the same deal. But for some reason the last time I was at Mudgie's I don;t remember having them?
    last time I was at Mudgies all you recieved was a spear with your sandwich. ALthough it looked like you could ask for more.

I like McClures. They are a bit expensive but good. I actually like their spicey relish, that's what I buy most often from them. And their chips are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Topors are the Best!
    Topors always were the best, they're as good today as they were 40 years ago.

Slightly off topic, but what's going on with AAM? Do they do any production at that complex or do they just maintain their headquarters there?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what's going on with AAM? Do they do any production at that complex or do they just maintain their headquarters there?
    Their headquarters is still there [[250 workers), but all of their manufacturing has moved to Mexico.

Apparently it's because Council wouldn't extend their tax breaks.

That said, I don't think it was all worth it in the end. We lost thousands of jobs from AAM [[many of which consisted of folks who probably commuted from the suburbs anyway) to shift 20 jobs or less into the city from the suburbs.

Seems pretty dead now, some admin staff and a skeleton maintenance crew.

I don't think it was the city not extending tax breaks. There was a huge strike there and the management said, OK, we'll move your jobs to Mexico. Bye.

Hamtramck took a big hit on tax revenues, thousands of jobs lost, and this fortified headquarters basically turns its back on the community.

I know, DetroitYES. Go ahead. Blame the union. Not the people who moved the jobs to Mexico.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast