Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Best Michigan pickles are the ones my husband makes. Mmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    100% These are the best Michigan pickles. The next best outside of Michigan are Bubbies

^^^ I love home made pickles......Not as briny as store brought...
    PM me a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    HA!! Now you know why I shop at Aldi's. All their products [[minus seasonal produce) are made either in the USA, Germany or other parts of Europe. Dollar Stores, Kroger and other retailers sell some items from China, Vietnam, and as you mention... India. I avoid that stuff like the plague....
    I love Aldi, and just shopped there yesterday. You need to read the label, even there. When they get the German Week items, for the last year or so, one type of pickle is still from Germany and the other type is from India.

I do note that they switched canned mushrooms from China to the Netherlands a couple of years ago, much better. There 75% fruit spread is still from Germany in Detroit, but I bought some in Toledo last month that is now from Poland. They did cut the price on this item from $2.29 to $1.99. Also, the black olives in a can are still from USA at my Aldi, but in Toledo, they had switched to "American Style" black olives from Spain [[still yummy and now with a pull tab).
    Last edited by rooms222; July-11-19 at 09:08 AM.

^^^ Aldi's takes some getting used to but once you find things you like they are pretty cool!

How many 'untouchables' do the two brothers use in their plants?

I'm not thrilled with Aldis out here in the boonies. Last two or three times I was there, the store was very disorganized, things on wrong shelves, no shelf tags/prices and so on. Not to mention the hordes of elders who think the aisles are their personal living rooms to spread out in.

^^^ What!! Hordes of elders? How where they spreading out and about? Canes, walkers and wheelchairs? LOL!

Yes, Aldi's varies from store to store. I like the one Mac and Chalmers. Or the Eight mile near Livernois.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ What!! Hordes of elders? How where they spreading out and about? Canes, walkers and wheelchairs? LOL!

That, and leaning on their cart on one side of the aisle reaching across the aisle effectively blocking the whole thing. Or having a community meeting of several, discussing the weather and how this bone or that one hurts when it rains.

I can be in and out of a store in 20 minutes or less with a full cart. Others spend that much time in a single 10' section of product trying to figure out which of several identical cans of tuna or olives to put in their cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm not thrilled with Aldis out here in the boonies. Last two or three times I was there, the store was very disorganized, things on wrong shelves, no shelf tags/prices and so on. Not to mention the hordes of elders who think the aisles are their personal living rooms to spread out in.
    HA! You better stay away from retirement havens such as Florida and Arizona!

Many of the Aldi's are "supersizing"... building out the stores to be 50% larger.

My favorite pickles are German ones, but I don't remember finding my favorite ones at Aldi's. I found them at Nino Salvaggio's. They come in a gallon size jar for only $3.49, and are called HENGSTENBERG. As mentioned earlier I too don't like briney pickles, and find most American pickles on the acidic side. German pickles [[been to Germany 13 times visiting relatives)... have a much better flavor with less brine/acid....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now calm down Meddle -- one day we will be old too!

And you don't have to be very old for friendly Arthur [[arthritis) to come pay a visit to a joint! Hah!

What I can't stand from ALL ages are those screaming into their mobile phone the most profane/ cursing/ inappropriate conversation in public!

Everyone's a captive audience. Though I keep a pair of headphones for such times!!

...and leaning on their cart on one side of the aisle reaching across the aisle effectively blocking the whole thing. Or having a community meeting of several, discussing the weather and how this bone or that one hurts when it rains.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-12-19 at 04:08 AM.

That, and leaning on their cart on one side of the aisle reaching across the aisle effectively blocking the whole thing. Or having a community meeting of several, discussing the weather and how this bone or that one hurts when it rains.
    Oh, you went to an organ recital.

We've been to Aldi's a couple of times, but it looked chaotic. We'll have to try another location if there's that much variation between stores.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3