Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Remembering the Twenty Grand

I'm searching for folks who visited the Driftwood Lounge of the Twenty Grand in the 1960s for a book. Anyone have photos of the inside of the lounge they could share offline? Anyone recall whether there were tables or booths, what the stage looked like, the decor? Did the Motown groups lip sync or sing to a house band? Remember "Ziggy Johnson" as emcee? Martha and the Vandellas' LIVE album was recorded there in 1967 - anyone remember that concert? Thanks!

When I was about 15 I lied to my parents about goinjg to church and went to the 20 Grand to see Chuck Jackson. At that time they had Sunday mantinees for high school students. That was about 1962 or 1963. I didn't get away with it because a picture was taken of me jumping up trying to catch Chuck Jackson's tie which he always threw out to the audience at the end of his performance. The picture showed up in the Michigan Chronicle [[where my mother worked) and I was grounded for a month.

Owner of the Twenty Grand [[or, at least, the front man) was William Kabbush. Had a nice home in the Pointes. He died April, 1984, was about 70 then. Kind of a Jack Ruby type including looks.

MidTownMs -

What a great story about getting caught in a photo! Were these matinees in the afternoon or early afternoon [[If you were supposed to be in church instead)? Did they serve pop or food? Do you remember attending any other times?

Thanks

Ray1936 - Thanks for the lead on the owner. I'll try to track down his family.

Quote Originally Posted by laurie View Post
    MidTownMs -

What a great story about getting caught in a photo! Were these matinees in the afternoon or early afternoon [[If you were supposed to be in church instead)? Did they serve pop or food? Do you remember attending any other times?

Thanks
    That was the only time I ever went there. But I knew about the Sunday mantinee because a lot of my friends used to tell me about it. . It was every Sunday afternoon around three o'clock . The only place I could go on Sunday was church that's why I told my parents I was going to church. But I had to see Chuck Jackson [[he was sooooooo dreamy) and hear him sing "Any Day Now" and "I Wake Up Crying" and to catch his tie. Which I didn't.... We had sodas with cherries and a fancy straw.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; February-08-12 at 07:09 PM.

Wow what a time! I remember the 20 Grand but at is decline [[late 70's) as I attended Murray-Wright High School across the street.... by then there were not headliners local or otherwise per se I don't think....
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie View Post
    I'm searching for folks who visited the Driftwood Lounge of the Twenty Grand in the 1960s for a book. Anyone have photos of the inside of the lounge they could share offline? Anyone recall whether there were tables or booths, what the stage looked like, the decor? Did the Motown groups lip sync or sing to a house band? Remember "Ziggy Johnson" as emcee? Martha and the Vandellas' LIVE album was recorded there in 1967 - anyone remember that concert? Thanks!