Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hackel: Demolish Kessler design in Mt. Clemens

http://www.freep.com/article/2012020...ing-Mt-Clemens

Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel is calling on County Commissioners to either sell or demolish an iconic former bank building in Mt. Clemens.

Ya because it's the biggest eyesore in the city. Go pick on something worthwhile Hack!

It reminds me a little bit of that great bank that once graced 8 Mile & Kelly. A large building of similar design.

It would be a pity not to find a use for it, rather than tear it down. At some point in the future, buildings like that could once again become very fashionable. I remember people hated fancy old movie palaces from the 20s because they were too gaudy... until the 1970s turned things around full circle and they are once again stylish.

Macomb County has so little architecture that saving this building should be a priority.

Gistok, that's the importance of preservation groups. Buildings go from new and exciting, to overwhelmingly unpopular, to niche appreciation, to mainstream appreciation. Preservation groups need to help protect buildings while they're in those middle stages, so that they're still around for the last stage.

Reminds me of the bad old days of Mount Clemens mayors like Bert Van de Vusse. In the 19th century, Mount Clemens had mayors who oversaw the building of beautiful edifices, Richardsonian Romanesque hotels, all kinds of wonderful stuff. By the 1970s, Bert was screaming about the need to demolish all these slimy old buildings and the creation of wonderful parking lots, a holiday inn, and a new courthouse where the black folks used to live.

Pure Macomb County.

Thats not typical modern archtiecture. That is actually a nice example of Googie[[sp?) that was popular in the 40s and 50s....

I wouldn't preserve every single midcentury building in town, but that one is pretty unusual. Shades of the TWA terminal at JFK? Good luck to the preservationists. It's kinda neat.

I grew up just south of Mt. Clemens and remember what a splash this building made when it was new. As an 8-year-old I thought it was really cool, and remember trooping into it to open a kiddie savings account with my mother. Do I recall correctly that it had heated sidewalks around it to melt snow?

When I last returned to downtown Mt. Clemens, I was appalled at its current appearance: basically one large parking lot.

As someone who usually hates mid-century modern architecture, I must say I find this one quite beautiful.

How about the old film theater on Cass and Walnut? That is a hulking eyesore that's falling apart. At least the old Bank nightclub is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It reminds me a little bit of that great bank that once graced 8 Mile & Kelly. A large building of similar design.

It would be a pity not to find a use for it, rather than tear it down. At some point in the future, buildings like that could once again become very fashionable. I remember people hated fancy old movie palaces from the 20s because they were too gaudy... until the 1970s turned things around full circle and they are once again stylish.
    Curious about the building at 8& Kelly. Which corner? Any pics? I work near there.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Curious about the building at 8& Kelly. Which corner? Any pics? I work near there.
    It was on the NE corner, but was demoed about 15 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How about the old film theater on Cass and Walnut? That is a hulking eyesore that's falling apart. At least the old Bank nightclub is secure.
    I'm guessing you are referring to what most people know as the Macomb Daily Buiding. The theater ceased operating in the 1960's but the newspaper stayed there until 1994.

Unforturnately, the history of Mount Clemens includes bad timing in post war era. When downtown finally began bouncing back to a significant degree in late 90's-early 2000's the obvious buildings for loft conversions didn't exist anymore. The old Medea Hotel was demolished in the early 90's for the new county administration building. The Arethusa bath house was torched in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    I'm guessing you are referring to what most people know as the Macomb Daily Buiding. The theater ceased operating in the 1960's but the newspaper stayed there until 1994.
    You are correct. I park in the lot behind it a couple days a week [[satellite site for Oakland University). Looks a lot like the Wurlitzer: open windows, water damage, peeling brick off the structure. Not sure if the city thinks it's a viable option to attract a tenant, but the building isn't very secure. The windows and doors on the ground level are boarded up, but you can still easily get in. It looks like the 1-2 story building that is "attached" to it was an addition of some sort with loading docks and retail on the side. I'm guessing this was from when the Macomb Daily occupied it?

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnew...Daily0029.aspx
    Looks like this redevelopment effort got scrapped due to the economic downturn. Too bad, looks like a pretty good development.
    Last edited by mikeg19; February-08-12 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    You are correct. I park in the lot behind it a couple days a week [[satellite site for Oakland University). Looks a lot like the Wurlitzer: open windows, water damage, peeling brick off the structure. Not sure if the city thinks it's a viable option to attract a tenant, but the building isn't very secure. The windows and doors on the ground level are boarded up, but you can still easily get in. It looks like the 1-2 story building that is "attached" to it was an addition of some sort with loading docks and retail on the side. I'm guessing this was from when the Macomb Daily occupied it?

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnew...Daily0029.aspx
    Looks like this redevelopment effort got scrapped due to the economic downturn. Too bad, looks like a pretty good development.

I'm guessing that addition is from the Macomb Daily although their were other tenets in that building during the Mount Clemens Monitor-Macomb Daily years. At some point when in town I will ask someone in the know. Yes, the economy one factor in the lack of redevlopment concerning this property.

It was already getting seedy by Prohibition, but the postwar dispersal and sprawl hurt Mount Clemens a lot more. Now, this isn't a huge compliment, but it's a compliment nonetheless: Mount Clemens is the most walkable city in Macomb County...

The people of Mt Clemens are the dumbest people in the state of Michigan.

I still cant believe they would force out the Mt Clemens Race Track for that flipping flea market.

The County seat should be removed from that pit and rebuilt in a mall like fashion some part in the middle of the county. Built some place with plenty of free parking. Then the City of Mt Clemens can take their parking meters and choke on them.

Stupid, stupid, stupid - and short-sighted.

Does anyone know if the nightclub that was there did good business? I would think if they went a bit more upscale they could do decent business [[not draping the exterior with Bud Light banners would be a step in the right direction.)