Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vote for a Detroit bike rental system

I recently blogged about possibly bringing a public bike rental system to downtown Detroit.

One rental system is called B cycle. Their web site lets folks vote to express interest from their city. Please take a few seconds to vote for Detroit [[ZIP code 48226 works).
    http://bcycle.com/who_wants_it_more/.

Doesn't Wheelhouse Detroit, on the Riverwalk, do this?
    www.wheelhousedetroit.com

Yes, the Wheelhouse rents bikes, but a rental system is different as it's more transportation-oriented versus recreational. I have discussed this with the Wheelhouse in advance and have addressed it on m-bike.

Also, there's a video on their web site that explains it more.

This is innovative which means its DOA. Seriously though, what’s up with bike lanes MDOT promised to add as they restripe the main arterials? Atleast a sign every 20 miles that says “Share the road” would do.

While I'm all for the overt connotations of having a bike rental system in downtown Detroit, I'm having a hard time seeing the necessity of this. Aren't there plenty of bikes in the city? Everyone I know owns one. They are not difficult [[or expensive) to be had. The percentage of homeless people on bikes has increased exponentially over the years.
    The Hub is an excellent resource for any enthusiast. 3rd Ave Hardware always has a good selection of decently priced bikes. And of course there's always Value World/Salvation Army.
    The only scenario I see this working in is with people driving into the city and wanting a bike for a few hours downtown, and as someone pointed out earlier, Wheelhouse Detroit has this covered.
    Am I missing something? [[Honestly not trying to be a negative naysayer).

Default Remember bike rentals on Belle Isle?

In the mid 1960s, they had a bike rental service on Belle Isle. You could even rent tandems. Maybe they should start it up again. Come to think of it, a bike rental for the new Riverwalk would be a great idea, too.

dexterferry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thomprod View Post
    In the mid 1960s, they had a bike rental service on Belle Isle. You could even rent tandems. Maybe they should start it up again. Come to think of it, a bike rental for the new Riverwalk would be a great idea, too.
    genius! don't tell kelly and karen your great idea!

good idea.. city leaders should try to attract some interested parties..

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    Am I missing something? [[Honestly not trying to be a negative naysayer).
    The key is would be a transportation option from New Center to Downtown and from Corktown to Eastern Market. Sure, if you have you own bike handy, maybe you'll use that instead.

But imagine this scenario: You live in Midtown, have friends in from out of town, and want to go to Slows for dinner and drinks. You could hope on the Woodward streetcar to the Rosa Parks station where everyone rents a bike for a quick pedal to the Corktown bike rental station then walk to Slows. An automated bike rental system would roughly triple the side reach of the Woodward line when compared to just walking.

I think it would be great and much more viable if it included Southwest Vernor corridor as well as belle isle ...

Bearinabox Guest

Why is Detroit up in Clinton County somewhere? For a second I thought I'd voted for St. Johns by mistake.