Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Clint Eastwood Chrysler commercial

I recall Clint saying very similar things about Detroit doing the press stuff for Gran Torino.

I was impressed by the ad. The "Imported from Detroit" theme continues with Fiat-Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I was impressed by the ad. The "Imported from Detroit" theme continues with Fiat-Chrysler.
    Add in Madonna and the Big Boy statue, and Detroit's a triple-threat.

Chrysler does it again!

Occurrence Guest

Oh great, another cliched commercial to get some of the sheeple here to break out in tears.

If Chrysler is so proud of the city, why don't they move their corporate headquarters back?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Oh great, another cliched commercial to get some of the sheeple here to break out in tears.

If Chrysler is so proud of the city, why don't they move their corporate headquarters back?
    Well stated.

Oh great. Another poster poo-pooing a commercial that makes the whole city and SURROUNDING area look good. It goes both ways.

Maybe it's an ode to regionalism?
    Last edited by adamjab19; February-05-12 at 10:06 PM.

Occurrence Guest

But the whole city doesn't look good. Have you drivin around lately or heard about the possibility of a "financial manager"?

I agree completely, but at least they are showing Detroit in a positive light even if it's not 100% sincere.

Ad - pretty good though it didn't grab me the way last year's did. Where was my favorite coney? The city shot about 15 seconds in Manhattan, I think. Best product placement was the Jeep fender at about 1:20 - unmistakable.

And regardless of the content/message of the commercial, I do agree Chrysler should put some more of itself back in HP and/or Detroit - something substantial. But I don't see it happening this millennium. At least they have been hiring people, which makes Brooks Patterson happy.

But overall I am glad to see some good Detroit coverage. I was watching this in a bar in Indianapolis and it got some applause from the patrons. To be fair, the commercial with the little dog winning the race against the greyhounds got more applause, but this one got some as well.

Great commercial.

Chrysler is still in Detroit. You know... the Detroit that encompasses our region. Not the manufactured bullshit divisive nonsense political boundaries that naysayers like to cling to in order to aid us in self-hatred and cause more steps backward... and some "leaders" like to play up to keep the sheep fighting each other. Chrysler could be in Germany or Italy, but they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    I do agree Chrysler should put some more of itself back in HP and/or Detroit - something substantial. But I don't see it happening this millennium. At least they have been hiring people, which makes Brooks Patterson happy..
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-office-space

how very sad...two years in a row our city/region is the centerpiece of a major commercial...one that paints this city/region in a positive light...unlike the drumbeat of negativity that has dominated popular media for so many years and here we are griping about the fact that this company-which employs thousands of people locally-is based in Auburn Hills and not "Detroit" - until we all recognize that we are much more as a region than the sum of our parts I'm not entirely sure we deserve prosperity.

Didn't do it for me the way last years did. Kinda thinned out the Detroit aspect I thought. Watched last years and it still gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    how very sad...two years in a row our city/region is the centerpiece of a major commercial...one that paints this city/region in a positive light...unlike the drumbeat of negativity that has dominated popular media for so many years and here we are griping about the fact that this company-which employs thousands of people locally-is based in Auburn Hills and not "Detroit" - until we all recognize that we are much more as a region than the sum of our parts I'm not entirely sure we deserve prosperity.
    Amen^ to that. We are one big international city. Chrysler's comeback and survival is good news for all of us, both sides of 8 Mile, both sides of the straits. The sooner we embrace that reality the quicker our comeback and healing will occur. We have a long way to come back but we are in the right direction. So I say, let's celebrate these moments.

They're trying to sell cars. Period.

Chrysler *IS* in Detroit, with thousands of jobs. Have you by chance ever heard of Jefferson Ave Assembly? Seriously. Yes Fiat inherited a company with an HQ that happens to be able go from design to prototype in Auburn Hills. Be happy they never moved it to Germany or Torino, Italy. I don't get the idiotic hate on this list about arbitrary borders. Don't you realize its about us against a global economy, not Detroit vs. Troy. Did you listen to Clint's message: divided we fall. Grow up, or get out of the way.

Ravine Guest

Goddam, it ain't like Chrysler abandoned Detroit by having their national headquarters in Auburn Hills. They stick a little spot, speaking positively of Detroit, into the middle of the Super Bowl, and somehow that's a piss-off, it's offensive or irritating?
    Shit, not even I am that ​burdensomely negative & cynical.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    They're trying to sell cars. Period.
    Bullshit. Commercials that are "trying to sell cars. Period" use the voice-over to make the car sound sexy & smart, not to make a city sound gutsy & persevering.

And it makes the potential owner [[who wishes to adopt that "gutsy & persevering" persona or wishes to be thought of as that sort of person) want to buy the car. They're trying to sell cars. Period. If the spot sells cars, it worked. If it doesn't, it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    And it makes the potential owner [[who wishes to adopt that "gutsy & persevering" persona or wishes to be thought of as that sort of person) want to buy the car. They're trying to sell cars. Period. If the spot sells cars, it worked. If it doesn't, it fails.
    Of course they are selling cars. I hope they sell millions and continue to prosper and keep Importing from Detroit! This is a win-win situation. They sell cars and they sell Detroit.

Ravine Guest

If the entire text of the spot was about the car, your "period" would be on-schedule, but that's not what happened.

I hope they sell them by the jillions. But let's not get all misty-eyed about Dirty Harry's rap. Chrysler exists for one reason -- well, two reasons -- only. It sells cars and [[hopefully) makes profits. Everything it does is directed toward those ends. If rallying round the Spirit of Detroit statue helps the company move metal, it's a success. It donating to a particular cause or event gets people into the showrooms, that's good for the company and the balance sheet. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. I get all that. But I don't think for a minute that the commercial was shot and placed for any other reason than to sell cars. If you want to get all warm and fuzzy on it, feel free.

Typical divisive comments. Nice commercial. I am glad Fiat didn't decide to close up shop in Michigan and move everything abroad. FYI, the greatest deciding factor for a company to decide where they are going to locate is going where the talent is.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Last edited by rjlj; February-06-12 at 01:02 AM.

The commercial was ok, not as good as last years though. The rest of the ads as a whole were several notches below last years as well. The best one to me was the Doritos one with the dog burying the cat and writing a note.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-06-12 at 01:42 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast