Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

GUSHI Guest

Default What to do with all the empty property in Detroit

With all the vacant land especially on the east side, any ideas what we can do with it?

a new homestead act for america's cities. Get a plot of land, keep it up for 5 years, and you get it for free.

A couple of years ago my sorority purchased two empty lots on the east side and donated them to Habitat for Humanities. A house was built for a single mom with three kids. The last two Christmases my sorority prepared dinner and took it to the family. I realize two empty lots didn't even put a dent in the number of empty lots throughout the city but like this post it's a start.

GUSHI Guest

That's wonderful midtownms, but how can we eat up a large area? How about a Detroit verSion of A CedarpoinT, Detroit themed, it would eat up a large chunk of land, and keep some of those Michigan dollars from going to Ohio, with such a rich automotive history, have the rides named after, local car companies, Motown , vernors, fagyo, better maid, national coney island, etc etc etc, we did build slot of shit her at one point, why not use that history, run it as a non profit, with the proceeds helping the community, and also were ever it would get built, incorporate some of the historic buildings in the park, and put the Michigan hall of fame there and move the Motown musem in it, also the beautiful old buildings and churches in it. Make Detroit a tourist attraction, how many michiganders go to freaken Sandusky, or six flags, keep the money here.

It's not just vacant land. Half of the streets on the eastside, while they appear dense at first glance, are lined with nothing but abandoned homes waiting to be demolished.

GUSHI Guest

Knock that shit down, I had a few glasses of wine, just trying to think out of the box, how about a race track, bring NASCAR to Detroit we. Are the motor city, that would eat up a bunch of land. detroit is gonna never hit 2 mill in my life time,

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    That's wonderful midtownms, but how can we eat up a large area? How about a Detroit verSion of A CedarpoinT, Detroit themed, it would eat up a large chunk of land, and keep some of those Michigan dollars from going to Ohio, with such a rich automotive history, have the rides named after, local car companies, Motown , vernors, fagyo, better maid, national coney island, etc etc etc, we did build slot of shit her at one point, why not use that history, run it as a non profit, with the proceeds helping the community, and also were ever it would get built, incorporate some of the historic buildings in the park, and put the Michigan hall of fame there and move the Motown musem in it, also the beautiful old buildings and churches in it. Make Detroit a tourist attraction, how many michiganders go to freaken Sandusky, or six flags, keep the money here.
    As I said it's a start.

Knock that shit down, I had a few glasses of wine, just trying to think out of the box, how about a race track, bring NASCAR to Detroit we. Are the motor city, that would eat up a bunch of land. detroit is gonna never hit 2 mill in my life time,
    I really like your style. You started this thread with "With all the vacant land especially on the east side, any ideas what we can do with it?" and now you've found the solution in a wine bottle an hour later. It was so easy - knock the shit down. i like it.
    I've just come in with a couple of bottles myself to chill for the game [[and some munchies).
    Maybe we should sent a case for the Council's consumption.
    BTW did you miss the $ sign of the 2 mil while in your cups?

I'll take the over on that.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I really like your style. You started this thread with "With all the vacant land especially on the east side, any ideas what we can do with it?" and now you've found the solution in a wine bottle an hour later. It was so easy - knock the shit down. i like it.
    I've just come in with a couple of bottles myself to chill for the game [[and some munchies).
    Maybe we should sent a case for the Council's consumption.
    BTW did you miss the $ sign of the 2 mil while in your cups?
    Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

You can't "knock that shit down" without money.

when ever i look at the prices for land, why are they always higher than the cost of a house

Something like this, only without the buildings and trees in the background.

in an interview in Ebony magazine, Dennis Archer offered the idea of consolidating 100 acres and setting up a gated community with a golf course.. [[!!!)

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    in an interview in Ebony magazine, Dennis Archer offered the idea of consolidating 100 acres and setting up a gated community with a golf course.. [[!!!)
    Actually that not a bad idea, I liked Archer I would say he was the best Detroit Mayor on the last 40-50 years.

GUSHI Guest

Contained fires would be cheaper than knocking down empty property, a match, some gasoline and the fire department, contained fires.

Didn't someone already come up with a solution for this problem? I thought everyone agreed on a park.

Well, urban farming has been mentioned many times.

You should look into the recent history of Youngstown. They actually implemented some ideas regarding "turning the grey into green".

And then there's alway:

It's real simple. Build some man-made lakes out of all that vacant land and in some places build some lakefront mansions around them. Currently it's illegal to jet-ski on the Detroit River. Building inland lakes for recreation like jet-skiing would easily solve the vacant property issue. The area bounded by Conner to the west, Kercheval to the north, Alter to the east, and Jefferson to the south would be an ideal area to turn into a man-made lake. Just imagine travelling down Alter Road and watching the setting sun shine off of the beautiful lake water.
    Last edited by royce; February-08-12 at 03:12 AM. Reason: additions

Contained fires would be cheaper than knocking down empty property, a match, some gasoline and the fire department, contained fires.
    Problem is man can never contain a fire.

We tried that in 1967 and look where it got us...