Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Robert Bobb wants to be a Mayor? I'll take him as my mayor.

As a DPS employee, I am really impressed with Robert Bobb. Rumor has it that he wants to be a mayor [[in Oakland, Ca.). I say we just forgo the election and give hime the job here in Detroit [[joking). The guy gets more done while taking a piss than most of these has-beens that float from one elected position to another all the time. When I read that Anthony "Playa" Adams was appointed to the school board I wanted to puke in my mouth and swallow it, I know he's drooling about being able to dole out DPS contracts again [[which hopefully the school board will NEVER be able to do again). I am so sick of these "brutha's and sista's" constantly keeping the same tired old names in DPS and city government. Robert Bobb is the only one that has done anything respectful in years and he arrived here via the governor. Maybe having the state takeover Detroit wouldn't be such a bad idea. My choice would be for Robert Bobb to take the reins and clean up my corrupt city!
    Last edited by jhartmich; June-10-09 at 08:42 PM.

jhart, i agree totally. i'd love to see that man cloned, and made mayor, chief of police, head of city council, president of board of water commissioners, and ceo of ddot. it's a shame it took so long for mr. bobb to take charge at dps. detroit would be blessed and have a true chance of turning around if similar individuals were elected or appointed to the aforementioned positions.

There's a big difference between being in a position in which one has full financial authority and being elected offical or an appointee of an elected official.

MIRepublic Guest

I was thinking the same thing, rjk, and it's an important distinction to make before you dole out ridicule or praise. Just because Bobb may be an excellent administrator doesn't mean he'd make for an excellent politician. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you instantly get uglier looks from the public the moment you subject yourself to a political campaign. I mean, at the moment, the best thing that we know about Bobb is that we know relatively little about him as a person. It's apples-to-oranges if you ask me.

It's not to say that temperament and competence aren't impressive, but that doesn't automatically equate to being just as effective a head-of-government. And, not knowing where he stands on other issues of public policy, it makes me even warier of superficially heaping praise on an apointee. I'd feel comfortable in saying he'd probably make an excellent city manager in a manager-council form of government, but would probably stop short of simply assumming he'd make as equally a great mayor.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; June-10-09 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, rjk, and it's an important distinction to make before you dole out ridicule or praise. Just because Bobb may be an excellent administrator doesn't mean he'd make for an excellent politician. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you instantly get uglier looks from the public the moment you subject yourself to a political campaign. I mean, at the moment, the best thing that we know about Bobb is that we know relatively little about him as a person. It's apples-to-oranges if you ask me.

It's not to say that temperament and competence aren't impressive, but that doesn't automatically equate to being just as effective a head-of-government. And, not knowing where he stands on other issues of public policy, it makes me even warier of superficially heaping praise on an apointee. I'd feel comfortable in saying he'd probably make an excellent city manager in a manager-council form of government, but would probably stop short of simply assumming he'd make as equally a great mayor.
    You make some good points. Mr. Bobb seems to do well in a city managers role. We do not know how he would function as a mayor in a strong mayor system like most big cities have. It really helps that he's experienced, and a outsider who politically doesn't have to answer to anyone other than the Gov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bobb

What the wikipedia page doesn't mention is that the mayor of DC dismissed him and the school board when he took over the school district. I believe thats what freed him up to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    There's a big difference between being in a position in which one has full financial authority and being elected official or an appointee of an elected official.

Yes, you guys are 100% right, being a dictator is easier than learning the art of compromise. I guess I was talking about two things. One as Bobb being mayor, and two as Bobb being a EFM if the state took control of Detroit. I know I'm dreaming, I just like seeing things get done for once.

What you guys are referring to in regards to having to negotiate politically is what scarred me about Dave Bing. As a businessman he always had control. Now he has to negotiate all his decisions. I'm sure he will feel the huge bog down compared to how he's use to doing business.

Election jingle...

Bob Bobb Bob, Bob Bobb for mayor,

Bob Bobb Bob, Bob Bobb for mayor,

Bobb for mayor....

[[sung to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys)

Feel free to embelish.