Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Same building/place? Old bus photo and the "ghost sign" photo!

I stumbled upon this and the building looks the same-different sign but still Faygo. Anyone want to investigate further? Name:  6722992477_a65db4a05e.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  29.5 KBName:  dsr-4549_twin-c2.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  84.6 KB

Replying to my own post the difference I see now is the amount of "wall cap tiles?". 8 vs 9.
    Also the facade in one looks like enameled tiles and the other brick. Coulda been covered over but? Be something if it really was!

Gifton's Market
    12001 Haper Ave

Oh, man, that hatless guy looks just like my dad! I don't know what he would have been doing over there, though. I'm going to send him the pic, hope you don't mind!

also photo one is for Faygo Orange and photo two is for Faygo Beverages.
    One is in an oval; two is not.
    This is like one of those "Spot the differences" puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    also photo one is for Faygo Orange and photo two is for Faygo Beverages.
    One is in an oval; two is not.
    This is like one of those "Spot the differences" puzzles.
    Well ya I noticed that. Coulda just been updated to pitch a new flavor though.

http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...549_twin-c.jpg

Weeds under the sign, or is it a parking lot billboard?

I've been corresponding with my Dad about the hatless man at the bus stop. He isn't sure if it is a picture of him either. Here's what he says:

I know so little about the east side. Worked at the Dodge Main plant for a while. And lived with The Shaw family on John R. It does look like me. Probably following the two girls just ahead of me. The hairline and the way the hair stands out looks like me too. I've got a picture here that was taken in the same general time perod. It would have to be in 1946 or before 1942 because I was in the service between those years. My Style of that era was topcoat and sometimes a suit underneath. Used to go out to Eastland but not so dressed up. Also went horseback riding on the east side, but again I didn't wear a tie to ride.

Either way, I wasn't around then, but that picture sure got my attention. I did ask him if he could have been job hunting. I know he worked at Highland Nash when I was born, but before that he worked in a number of places. First I heard about Dodge Main. It's funny how a thing like that can trigger some family memories.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...549_twin-c.jpg

Weeds under the sign, or is it a parking lot billboard?
    Parking lot billboard

I wish I was alive before Detroit killed itself. I love these pictures.

The building in the first picture of this thread is mentioned and shown in photographs by me in post 9 of this thread.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ark+ghost+sign

DH has identified the bus in the second picture as a Fageol Twin Coach. He says they ran on very stinky gasoline engines. They were built in Kent, Ohio.

Wikipedia has some history and a couple of pix. I love that little Pony Express.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Coach
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-05-12 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I wish I was alive before Detroit killed itself. I love these pictures.

The pictures are black and white but even back then the world was in colour... Not everything ran like in the movie Pleasantville.

They are different buildings and only one is still standing...Giftons was at 12001 Harper and the other is at 8747 Mt. Elliot and Georgia street