Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Original Highland Park Cop Station Demolished

I delivered police cars there in the early 90's. Place was in rough shape then. I remember being there when the fire department across the street got a call for a brush fire. The truck was hard to start, and by the time it got moving the blue smoke was pouring out the open bay door. Almost looked like the station was on fire.

What street was it located on?

Gerald Street, just east of Woodward.

East of Woodward, about 1/4 mile north of the Davison, and 1/4 south of Manchester [[Ford Highland Park plant).

I was by there this past Sunday....saw no sign of impending demolition. Not surprised, though. It really is about time!!

I am glad that they are at least planning to use the site for a good purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I am glad that they are at least planning to use the site for a good purpose.
    Agreed. Makes me not care that they tore an old building down.

While it does make me sad the building is gone, I have to say that the fact they are putting the new firehouse there makes me happy. I had been inside the building many times, and while while appearing structurally sound, it would have required a lot of rehab to re-purpose it. A lot of rehab is a lot of money that HP, like Detroit, just doesn't have. Not to mention the 1917 structure didn't really lend itself to modern police practices. I am very happy that with the new FD building there my favorite HP eatery may get a new lease on life. Victor Red Hots coney island on Victor St. just north of the old PD used to thrive on the Officers, Firemen, and municipal workers coming in for breakfast and lunch. When the Gerald St. Trio closed up, Red Hot's saw a marked decline in customers. If you happen to be in the area during the day, do yourself a favor and drop in. Amazing old school diner and the owner, Rich, is entertaining to say the least. Really a wonderful guy. I know we all hate to see another beautiful old building go, but at least it's not for a gravel lot or "Urban Garden".

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I delivered police cars there in the early 90's. Place was in rough shape then. I remember being there when the fire department across the street got a call for a brush fire. The truck was hard to start, and by the time it got moving the blue smoke was pouring out the open bay door. Almost looked like the station was on fire.
    Sounds like that old Fire Apparatus like so many back in the day was equipped with a "Detroit Diesel" long crank times to start and like all old cold diesels, lots and lots of smoke.

I'm guessing that this was the PD that urban explorers were all up in and posted pictures online of it all. Got to say thats probably an only in Detroit/Highland Park thing that you can actually run up in an old PD's HQ and get away with it. The videos are right on the youtube.

I have a lot of memories of playing on the trucks, wearing the gear and sliding down the pole in the old HP fire station. My father retired from there and was HP ff his whole life.