Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2 Questions about a old bar and old restaurant former locations

While cleaning out a junk drawer, I found a set of drink stirrers embossed
    St.James Infirmary Conner S. of 94 Expressway. I also found a pair of chopsticks embossed, Oriental Gardens 1530 3rd Detroit. I have googled both, cannot find information on either! I know the memories run deep on hear,hoping to learn a bit about these 2 items!

^^^^^ Hmmm, I'm familiar with the song [[St. James Infirmary)... sounds like a hopping r & b/ blues joint for sure.

I'm not absolutely sure about this but the place on Conner, which is now a renal center, used to be a restaurant that served wild game back in the 60's. I don't remember the name maybe someone else knows. After that it was a nightclub before they turned it into the renal center.

Mid
    You are correct it was something Like African Safari I rode by that place for years late 50s early 60s But like most who rode by places back in those years I Just cant be sure

[QUOTE=Jer W;301270]Mid You are correct it was something Like African Safari I rode by that place for years late 50s early 60s But like most who rode by places back in those years I Just cant be sure[/QU

You are right it was African Safari!!!!! Thanks
    Last edited by MidTownMs; February-02-12 at 09:32 AM.

Mid We went to Church furthar down on Conner near Mack Ave I remember my Dad would say you can eat any kind of meat you want there Zebra or whatever Not sure if that was true or not

After Church we would stop at either Top Hat on Warren and Conner or on a special Occasion Cupids was on Warren just east of Conner

Quote Originally Posted by Jer W View Post
    Mid We went to Church furthar down on Conner near Mack Ave I remember my Dad would say you can eat any kind of meat you want there Zebra or whatever Not sure if that was true or not
    It's true I heard they served all kinds of wild game there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer W View Post
    After Church we would stop at either Top Hat on Warren and Conner or on a special Occasion Cupids was on Warren just east of Conner
    I got kicked out of that Top Hat following an altercation I had with my big brother....to this day the friends that were with me that night still call me Top.

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    While cleaning out a junk drawer, I found a set of drink stirrers embossed
    St.James Infirmary Conner S. of 94 Expressway. I also found a pair of chopsticks embossed, Oriental Gardens 1530 3rd Detroit. I have googled both, cannot find information on either! I know the memories run deep on hear,hoping to learn a bit about these 2 items!
    I would guess that the Oriental Gradens was part of the old China Town district that occupied Thrid and Forth streets just south of Michigan Ave. Essentially the area now occupied by the old MGM and the IRS buildings.

IIRC China Town fell to an Urban Renewal program aimed at removing blight along Michigan Ave. Back in the day, a series of pawn shops, flop houses, dive bars and whatnot occupied Michigan Ave from The Michigan Bell/McNamarra Federal Buildings out towards Tiger Stadium.

China Town was moved up to Cass Ave in the late '60s, early '70s.

The WSU virtual library has a handful of pics of the old China Town.

Go about 10% on this page, and you can click on two photos of the menus from the A-Z Safari Land restaurant....

http://www.................com/newsl...1/04-2011.html

Is the Top Hat you're referring to in anyway connected to the Top Hat in Windsor?? Or am I thinking of a place with a different name? It's been awhile. I remember they are supposed to have great ribs.

Top Hats were all over town, along with Mott's. The White Castles of their day.

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Is the Top Hat you're referring to in anyway connected to the Top Hat in Windsor?? Or am I thinking of a place with a different name? It's been awhile. I remember they are supposed to have great ribs.
    No we were talking about the Top Hat hamburger place that was on the corner of Conner and E. Warren.

[QUOTE=gnome;301285]I would guess that the Oriental Gradens was part of the old China Town district that occupied Thrid and Forth streets just south of Michigan Ave. Essentially the area now occupied by the old MGM and the IRS buildings.

IIRC China Town fell to an Urban Renewal program aimed at removing blight along Michigan Ave. Back in the day, a series of pawn shops, flop houses, dive bars and whatnot occupied Michigan Ave from The Michigan Bell/McNamarra Federal Buildings out towards Tiger Stadium.

The WSU virtual library has a handful of pics of the old China Town.[/QUOT

I used to go to Forbidden City and Chungs in China Town. There are still remnants of Chungs [[the sign and building) along Cass near Alexanderine and Peteboro.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I would guess that the Oriental Gradens was part of the old China Town district that occupied Thrid and Forth streets just south of Michigan Ave. Essentially the area now occupied by the old MGM and the IRS buildings.

The WSU virtual library has a handful of pics of the old China Town.

The Michigan Avenue Urban Renewal was during the early 1960's. Many buildings were leveled in 1963, in particular. The Lindell Hotel on Cass that housed the orginal Lindell A.C. was among many of the buildings demolished in that period.

Chungs now has a location on Kelly and Houston-Whittier [[if it's still open).

I believe the location in the Cass Corridor closed sometime in the mid 90s.

The sound of crashing metal and bricks. The result of unemployment according to a neighbor whose kids graduated from the school.

http://www.michigannow.org/2012/04/1...c-high-school/

This case appears a lot like the Cass Tech scandal. Someone wanted to buy it but the archdiocese chose instead to pay Adamo a half million to tear it down.

How is this not a misallocation of resources, to use Frances Grunow's terms?

What the hell??
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    The sound of crashing metal and bricks. The result of unemployment according to a neighbor whose kids graduated from the school.

http://www.michigannow.org/2012/04/1...c-high-school/

This case appears a lot like the Cass Tech scandal. Someone wanted to buy it but the archdiocese chose instead to pay Adamo a half million to tear it down.

How is this not a misallocation of resources, to use Frances Grunow's terms?