Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bar Louie Opening in Currently Vacant Building Downtown

Curbed has reported that Bar Louie will be opening a location at 30 Clifford St. downtown. I know many on this forum are hesitant to like national chains, but I think this is fantastic news. More confidence from national investors is a sign that things are getting substantially better in our urban core. It sure as hell beats an abandoned building.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ain-eatery.php

Good for them, Let's bring some folks in the downtown corridor like Sky Bar.

neat. hopefully there will be a big grand opening.. what all type of food do they serve?

Sky Bar most ironic name in the city if they don't get around to opening the upstairs VIP area. Boo to them I want elitist drinks at the top of the building and I'm tired of waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    Sky Bar most ironic name in the city if they don't get around to opening the upstairs VIP area. Boo to them I want elitist drinks at the top of the building and I'm tired of waiting.
    Wrong thread... wrong building... wrong bar....

I hope it’s true, but I'm a little skeptical...see my post on the 30 Clifford thread...

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?11621-30-Clifford-St/page2

I hope I'm wrong - I like Bar Louie!

I hope it is better than theBar Louie location I have been to. Shitty service and outright overcharging/lying on bills has been the norm at the loction I used to go to. If there is a gathering of friends there, I no longer attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    I hope it is better than theBar Louie location I have been to. Shitty service and outright overcharging/lying on bills has been the norm at the loction I used to go to. If there is a gathering of friends there, I no longer attend.
    I agree. I have been to the one at Great Lakes Crossing -- overpriced, bad food and even worse service. I'm usually very tolerant of bad service but here, it was exceptionally bad.

So it has been updated that it's not going to be a Bar Louie's the national chain, but a bar/eatery opened up by Louie's Ham & Corn Beef in Eastern Market. As the update says, mall haters can breath a sigh of relief. Still exciting though!

I had not seen the building with the new facade. I like it!

I used to go to Bar Louie in Oak Park, IL. They have good happy hour specials for food and a beer of the month. They also have lots of tvs for sports, but play Nickelback on the internet radio so you can't hear the game. I liked it as a place to go right after work, but after happy hour ended it was too expensive. Nice place to meet for the downtown business crowd, which I assume they are going after.

It seems odd that they would put a Bar Louie at this location. It seems like Bar Louie's are usually located near upscale shopping areas in the suburbs. I'll be really surprised if this is true. If it really is a Bar Louie, then I would think there are more national chains to follow nearby soon...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So it has been updated that it's not going to be a Bar Louie's the national chain, but a bar/eatery opened up by Louie's Ham & Corn Beef in Eastern Market. As the update says, mall haters can breath a sigh of relief. Still exciting though!
    Jowiska - I think you missed the update to the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Jowiska - I think you missed the update to the original post.
    Sure did! The update makes more sense, thank you!

Even better, still a great location.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I agree. I have been to the one at Great Lakes Crossing -- overpriced, bad food and even worse service. I'm usually very tolerant of bad service but here, it was exceptionally bad.
    The one in Ann Arbor also has shitty service. A couple of years ago the bartender tried to charge my $5 for a bottle of PBR that should have been $2.50. Fortunately I looked at the bill before I paid it. She didn't even apologize.

Curbed has corrected the story - check the link again. It's not the Bar Louie chain - but Eastern Market's Louie's Ham and Corned Beef.

Still very nice to see development in the city. It might even be better than Bar Louie!