Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Vernor's Lovers

Default Vernor's Lovers

This article and short video was in the Macomb Daily today.
    http://macombdaily.com/articles/2012...mode=fullstory

As a kid, I drank nothing but Vernor's until I was 13-14 yrs old. It will always have a soft place in my heart, along with memories of Boston Cooler's on Woodward Ave.

Ravine Guest

Thanks for starting a new thread instead of dredging up one of the ancient ones, even though there may be one about this topic.
    DY seems to be experiencing a rash of B&P's [[Bumping & Perpetuating) in some of its older districts.

I think the most impressive thing about that story is that there is a James Vernor VI.

Thanks for posting - still enjoy Vernor's!

Attachment 11906

I wonder if Vernor's might consider going back to its stevia sweetened original formula now that stevia is again legal and in vogue as a sweetener.

I don't mind Vernors, but I rarely drink it.

My wife on the other hand, hates Vernors for a very funny reason. She grew up out in the country [[farmland south of Jackson). The folks out there have a lot of remedies for illness. One of her mothers big remedies was drinking Vernors to treat a sore throat or cold.

So, my wife's brain has been wired to associate Vernors with illness, and therefore she absolutely hates even thinking about it.

Today on the phone her father recommended injecting anti-biotics directly into her breasts to cure her mastitis. He recommended this because this is what he did for cows with the same condition. I only wish I was making this stuff up...

I've known Keith since elementary school days. He did a book on Vernor's:

http://www.amazon.com/Vernors-Ginger.../dp/0738551856

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    I wonder if Vernor's might consider going back to its stevia sweetened original formula now that stevia is again legal and in vogue as a sweetener.
    Somewhere out of state there is a bottler making Vernors with sugar in glass bottles. I've seen it available online.

The original Vernors should be marketed nation wide and touted "made in Detroit". It was the best ginger ale made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors

Last edited by RaumVogel; January-31-12 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Thanks for posting - still enjoy Vernor's!
    Vernor's is wonderful!! Available at Publix stores here in sunny Florida - I keep a plentiful stock!

Photo of Vernor's shop, www.efn.org/~hkrieger/vernors.jpg
    from the website at
    www.efn.org/~hkrieger/detroit.htm

Raum....
    .......I'm looking at a can right now [[bottled in Everett, WA) that says "A Michigan Original Since 1868".