Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: RR Tunnel

Default RR Tunnel

Is there any truth to the rumor of a new railroad tunnel to Canada?

http://www.windsorstar.com/Rail+tunn...915/story.html

Article from the Windsor Star in November about the tunnel.

I was at HoneyBee market the other day and I saw what appeared to be double stack container cars coming out of the tunnel. I thought they couldn't fit in the tunnel.

I say that if... the second bridge to windsor gets the greenlight, there should be a light rail system built into it. It could accommodate people who work on either side of the river and tourists. The trains would lead to a bus depot nearby on each end. USA and Canadian homeland security would share security duties.

I wrote a letter to an assortment of officials, including the Canadian authorities promoting the bridge [[they sent me an encouraging letter back)..

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was at HoneyBee market the other day and I saw what appeared to be double stack container cars coming out of the tunnel. I thought they couldn't fit in the tunnel.
    Only the smallest double-stacks fit.

There are two sizes of containers. The smaller "standard sized" fit double stacked just fine. But there's a picture in the archives of a double stack train after it exited the tunnel. Seems at least one of the containers in the stack was the new "larger" containers. A whole string of containers came out with their top sheered off.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Nearly 20 years ago the tunnel was deepened to allow this. Also around this time new tunnels were opened in Port Huron to allow double stacks. Not all double stacks can cross at Detroit.

At the time they were going through a push for a new crossing, one of the early options was to turn the old rail tunnel into a new car/truck tunnel. And build a rail crossing somewhere else. This option was scrapped very early on because it would have forced all of the traffic onto City Streets [[which is the primary reason Canada wants a new crossing that is better connected to 401).
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-29-12 at 10:54 PM.