Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Victorian Homes in Detroit

Hello,

My best friend is coming to Detroit the first week of February and she has always stated that her favorite home is one that is a Victorian [[or just an older home) with a front porch swing. I think it would be neat to show her that homes like that still exists here in Detroit! If anyone knows of any that would be great, they do not have to be for sale/ for lease.

West Canfield Historic District [[between Second and Third). Not sure there are any frontporch swings....but the houses on this block are beautiful!!

How about the homes that comprise the Inn on Ferry Street?

The well-preserved Moses Field House on Field Street is certainly worth a look.

http://detroit1701.org/MosesWField.html

GUSHI Guest

Village of Romeo, 32 and vandyke

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Hello,

My best friend is coming to Detroit the first week of February and she has always stated that her favorite home is one that is a Victorian [[or just an older home) with a front porch swing. I think it would be neat to show her that homes like that still exists here in Detroit! If anyone knows of any that would be great, they do not have to be for sale/ for lease.
    True Victorians are not very plentiful in the city but late 19th century homes can be found. As mentioned West Canfield, East Ferry and the Moses Field home are a good start. Also you can tour the few homes left in Brush Park, plus Woodbridge and Hubbard Farms has a few. The oldest homes in Indian Village are late 19th early 20th century including my favorite Queen Anne at 1023 Iroquois. If you want to travel a bit there are homes in Saline, Milford and other long established cities in southeast MI. A little search time on the net will help.

Your friend should come in summer months. Hanging out on a porch is a time honored tradition. Don't have a swing but do have wicker rockers.

I was just going to say Romeo....yep

Travel down Fischer and Crane street from Gratiot south to Moffat and you will see a street lined with turn of the century victorian homes.

There are a few in Brush Park still standing.

There are a lot in Woodbridge; especially on Avery.

If you want swing-sized porches you should go see Highland Park. First block or two east of Woodward on Farrand Park, McLean, or Colorado are pretty fantastic. I would't call them Victorian, more craftsman, but they're amazing, still a cohesive historic district despite the economic doom and gloom. In some cases the gardens are even better than the houses.

The other place that smells like porch lounging is the Villages - my pics would include - Seyburn between Van Dyke Place and East Lafayette St, or Field between Vernor and Charlevoix, or Seminole or Iroquois from Jefferson to maybe Kercheval.
    Last edited by southofbloor; February-01-12 at 12:36 AM.

A lot of Victorian in Woodbridge....but don't forget about Wyandotte, MI...beautiful

Not strictly a Victorian this beauty at 82 King just behind the old Utley library has a terrific front porch
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Grand Boulevard has a great many. They spill over onto streets like Van Dyke in West Village too.

There really aren't many Victorians in the city anymore.

There is a good row of houses on Avery in Woodbridge just north and south of Forest.

Corktown containes the best collection. Along with what is left of Brush Park. The most stunning example is Canfield between 2nd and 3rd

Also, there are a lot of Victorian era houses or 19th century farm houses that totally blend in and are very easy to miss. Many of them have been renovated over the years or had additions added so they look nothing like the typical Victorian "painted lady"

I don't know if this is actually a true example, but the "Painted Lady" bar in Hamtramck is painted in the characteristic style... you can find it at 2930 Jacob Street

Outside of the city, check out Northville, Plymouth, Milford and Ann Arbor for some nice examples.
    Last edited by casscorridor; February-03-12 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I don't know if this is actually a true example, but the "Painted Lady" bar in Hamtramck is painted in the characteristic style... you can find it at 2930 Jacob Street
    Painted Lady was likely built in the 1890s, according to the owner. Actually, I hadn't thought of it much, but you're right, the new color scheme fits the name.

And as far as it being Victorian, does that mean it's a punk bar for steampunks?

LOL, steampunks love the Victorian era.

But I guess they should really go to San Francisco because that city contains one of the most amazing collections of Victorian architecture in the U.S. New Orleans is a close second. Both have lots of punks... and probably steam punks.