Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am going to enjoy this Forum. I was born and raised in Detroit's East Side. My parent's home was on the corner of Rochelle and MacCrary. They chose that house over one on 15 and Harper, because it had a fenced yard, and an attached commercial building.

I was told that the commercial building was a Laundry Mat in the 40's, a Party Store in the early 50's. [[ I remember the coolers for the Milk etc, as a child), then my Parent's made it into a drop off station for their Dry Cleaners. The main plant was on Mack and St Jean.

I have so many good memories of growing up there. The yard, although, not big, had cherry trees, apple tree, peach tree, the house was covered in Concord Grape Vines. My dad had a garden with corn it it. We did a lot of Canning and freezing.

Troester park is where I spent most of my time. I learned to swim at Helimen's. I attended Robinson, Columbus, and Denby.

Anyone remember the pony in the yard of the old farm house, next to the Tastee Freeze on 7 Mile and Brock? I can't seem to find any one who remembers it.

Well I'll chime in more later. I'm going to have to start readying myself for Church this morning.

Kind Regards, Phyllis from Rochelle

Good morning and welcome Ntrlred!

Buy American Guest

Welcome to the forum Phyllis.

A big DYes welcome to you, Phyllis!! Lots of East Siders here...

Welcome, Phyllis....from another Phyllis!!

Buy American Guest

Before we had children, in 1967, we bought a little bungalow on a block not far from the Frozen Custard store on 7 Mile and Brock. When you speak of the pony are you talking about the old house that sat in the back between the store and Hayes? I don't remember the pony but know the area well. The Custard place was owned by a fireman. We used to shop at Hayes/Troester Market on Seymour and Hayes all the time.