Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

While the no show EMS makes me mad, I wonder why, in 20 minutes, no one could find SOMEONE with a car to throw him in and drive him to the ER. If it were my father, I would have flagged down someone driving by...anyone. I know that isn't the answer to the problem of the slow/no EMS but I wouldn't have let my father stay on the ground for longer than a few minutes without getting fed up and finding a way to get him there myself.

I understand per one of the recent commenter's [[who says he is the grandson) to the story that the family drove him to Providence hospital, but I agree they waiting too late, perhaps thinking they could save him while waiting? But he did not survive, the neighbors did tried to help. His wife died yesterday also per the commenter to the story. This is very tragic...

Buy American Guest

I'm sure they will find out why the EMS was a no show. With the amount of rigs that the City has running each and every day, it's any wonder that more people don't die. This isn't the fault of the EMS technicians or dispatch [[if everything went according to protocol), but the administration needs to get their priorities straight and fund the repairs of the rigs and get more police and fire personnel on the streets. No one should have to lay in a street and die...that is unacceptable and I feel so bad for this family. God bless them and they are in my prayers.

I'm so tired of hearing these stories! Why is it so hard for the city to hire more mechanics for EMS. There are only TWO mechanics for the whole fleet of trucks that are breaking down constantly!!! Lay off some of these workers that are not as important and hire some mechanics!!! PLEASE!

When dad was on the DFD, he would constantly complain that people were calling EMS for silly things, needing to be transported to the ER [[think tummy ache). This also needs to stop. One lady, who had SCHEDULED a C-Section, called for a ride to the hospital!! I mean, really? Folks have to stop calling EMS for non-life threatening situations, too. I don't fault the EMS, they can only work with what they have. I agree with getmore, there really need to be more rigs on the road and less in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    While the no show EMS makes me mad, I wonder why, in 20 minutes, no one could find SOMEONE with a car to throw him in and drive him to the ER. If it were my father, I would have flagged down someone driving by...anyone. I know that isn't the answer to the problem of the slow/no EMS but I wouldn't have let my father stay on the ground for longer than a few minutes without getting fed up and finding a way to get him there myself.
    It's sad when a family has to make a decision whether to call an ambulance or drive the person to the hospital. It shouldn't be that way...very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's sad when a family has to make a decision whether to call an ambulance or drive the person to the hospital. It shouldn't be that way...very sad.
    Agreed.

It's very unfortunate what happened to this man. Bottom line, it shouldn't have ended this way.