Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Reform Welfare and Save Historic Buildings -- Grayling Elementary

Wean people off system that is ineffective and corrupt.

Any entity of means [[money), a person, a company [[corp), a government can help those in need.

Program is voluntary. That means the recipient "chooses" to accept the offer of help. That also means the provider is entitled to require certain conditions. "If I do this for you, you do this for me." And this is what I require of you:

Two-Year Voluntary Program

Your welfare check is assigned to me. With it, I will provide housing, food, clothing, exercise facility, train you in computer skills or other vocations. At the end of two years, help you get a job.

Grayling Elementary School in Detroit can be the pilot test program.
    Grayling has a gymnasium [[exercise program).
    Grayling has a kitchen/lunch room [[food preparation/service).
    Grayling has classrooms [[computer and/or other training).
    Grayling has classrooms [[living space for single moms/dad and their children).
    Grayling has many bathrooms -- install showers/bathtubs.

Ta-Da!

Not rocket science. Common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hopps View Post
    Not rocket science. Common sense
    Sounds more like slavery!

"Sounds more like slavery!"

Yes, it does. Does she give a plan for what she will be doing with the interest they would make off of their money?

Actually, this sounds very similar to the "Projects" model that we have recently gotten away from.

Grayling is beyond destroyed. Good luck getting the permits for this, when the scrappers have already been in there stealing the pipes & disturbing all of the asbestos.

Isn't Grayling the school that used to be near the Fairgrounds?

Yes, Grayling IS the school across from the Fairgrounds.

Slavery? Slavery does not involve Choice. Choice is what you make when you sign up for a voluntary program. In this case, a very workable, responsible option to help those in need get back on their feet.

Slavery is a generation of babies born into a welfare system that is broken and encourages them to remain enslaved along with the next generation of babies and on . . .and on . . ..

Why does this remind me of one of my absolute favorite of all time DetroitYes threads?

Slavery? Slavery does not involve Choice. Choice is what you make when you sign up for a voluntary program. In this case, a very workable, responsible option to help those in need get back on their feet. While saving a beautiful old historic building.

Slavery is generations of babies born into a welfare system that is broken and encourages them to remain enslaved along with the next generation of babies and on . . .and on . . ..

As for the money -- it goes to pay the utilites bill, the grocery bill, the teaching staff salary, the equipment [[computers, gym equipment), etc. in the Grayling facility.

My street, Fernhill, and many more in this community, is filled with empty lots. A cooperative for raising fruits and vegetables could be started on these vacant lots. The people in the neighborhood and those housed in the Grayling facility could plant and harvest the food.

How many people would sign up for such a program?

"You're dreaming, mom," say my conservative adult children. "There won't be any takers."

Maybe, maybe not. I think you could find a few folks down on their luck who would love such an opportunity. My suggestion is, afterall, that this be a test -- a pilot program. I believe It could work. I believe It WOULD work. And set a fine example of how to solve some serious societal problems in communities across the country.

Velvet Jones, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hopps View Post
    Slavery? Slavery does not involve Choice. Choice is what you make when you sign up for a voluntary program. In this case, a very workable, responsible option to help those in need get back on their feet. While saving a beautiful old historic building.

Slavery is generations of babies born into a welfare system that is broken and encourages them to remain enslaved along with the next generation of babies and on . . .and on . . ..

As for the money -- it goes to pay the utilites bill, the grocery bill, the teaching staff salary, the equipment [[computers, gym equipment), etc. in the Grayling facility.

My street, Fernhill, and many more in this community, is filled with empty lots. A cooperative for raising fruits and vegetables could be started on these vacant lots. The people in the neighborhood and those housed in the Grayling facility could plant and harvest the food.

How many people would sign up for such a program?

"You're dreaming, mom," say my conservative adult children. "There won't be any takers."

Maybe, maybe not. I think you could find a few folks down on their luck who would love such an opportunity. My suggestion is, afterall, that this be a test -- a pilot program. I believe It could work. I believe It WOULD work. And set a fine example of how to solve some serious societal problems in communities across the country.
    Maybe you should look into the Georgia Street Community Garden.

I am interested to learn what you are referring to and will look it up; however, it is the job of Detroit school officials and city officials to take the ball and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Sounds more like slavery!
    I don't think so. I don't know if it's the best idea, but it's better than mooching for your entire life. Might be a good option for those that actually want to get off the system.

Instead of just giving people money [[for them to convert into whatever they want) we instead give them shelter, food, and education. Those are the things they actually need. This prevents folks from wasting their money both intentionally and unintentionally through bad financing and high interest, short-term loans.

No, I am a former Detroiter. Went to Grayling from 1943-1949 -- wonderful school, wonderful neighborhood. Lived at 456 Fernhill. Dad lived at 492 in 1918 when school was new. Only item on my bucket list is to walk through his house -- one time -- I never knew he lived there as a child until I started writing a book about his life.

So, please, don't anyone tell me the house is gone. It was there a few months ago.

God Bless Michigan, and Detroit, and my little community from State Fair to 7 Mile and Woodward to John R!