Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Peak Detroit sound?

I get a huge kick watching these guys..
    Top of their game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXavZ...e_gdata_player

"
    How is this for an interesting tidbit; the song was co-written by one Tommy Chong. Yes, that Tommy Chong. I love doing the research for this column because it always seems like I’m always learning something new.
    This group has an interesting story. Bobby Taylor was born in North Carolina but it was in San Francisco that he ran into a group called Little Daddy & the Bachelors, which featured the Canadian-born Chong on guitar. In Calgary, the group called themselves the Calgary Shades. The name referenced the multi-racial composition of the group which was a melting pot of various races and ethnic backgrounds.
    The history of popular music includes a lot of stories about being in the right place at the right time. In 1965, Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson of the Supremes happened to catch the group, by then known as the Vancouvers, performing in Vancouver. They tipped off Motown label boss Berry Gordy, Jr., and the rest is soul music history. The group was signed to Motown imprint Gordy Records and they released “Does Your Mama Know About Me” as their debut single in 1968. The record peaked at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100. They never had a bigger hit, though they released several other singles.
    Bobby Taylor has an even bigger claim to fame than his work with the Vancouvers however. When his group was performing at Chicago’s Regal Theater in July, 1968, their opening act was a young group from Gary, IN called the Jackson 5. Taylor personally brought the group to the Motown offices in Detroit where they auditioned for executive Suzanne de Pass and Gordy. Within a year, Gordy signed them to his label. More soul music history.
    Oh, and Tommy Chong went on to have a pretty good career of his own."

http://popdose.com/soul-serenade-bob...know-about-me/

Look at the car in the window at 2.48 into this video

Last edited by black gold man; January-26-12 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I get a huge kick watching these guys..
    Top of their game.
    What guys? What are you talking about?

Why post a link with no background information?

No one in their right mind would ever click on a blind link.

Look at the car in the window at 2.48 into this video
    Holy Datsun addiction, Batman!

[
    Last edited by black gold man; January-27-12 at 03:44 PM.

"Holy Datsun addiction, Batman!"

Even Young Dave could tell that there was something special about the art. I had a few other DC comics and a Gold Key or two on that trip, but with the exception of a Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes issue, the art sucked compared to ‘TEC.

Marshall Rogers was in a class all his own. His clean, smooth pencils were really enhanced by top inkers like Austin and, in this issue, Dick Giordano. Trained as an architect, Rogers had a particular knack for drawing buildings, cars, bridges, technology - you name it. His perspective drawings were impeccable. Plus, Rogers drew his own sound effects, integrating them into the art -- none of those stock drag-and-drop computer-generated sound effects that kids use these days. The background effects and zipatone shading are like icing on top of a delicious sequential art cake. Nearly nobody in '78 was producing comics that looked this good.

Be careful driving in your Z CALYFACE will melt your face off.

To be honest, ‘TEC 479 isn’t quite the same caliber as the Englehart/Rogers issues that preceded it, mostly due to Len Wein’s overwrought script. In a nutshell, Batman tries to stop Clayface, who is on a maniacal quest to resurrect his beloved dead wife. His strange condition is very painful and more than a little ugly, so on occasion Clayface has to melt some poor schmuck’s face in order to feel better. I think we’ve all been there.

Here’s Clayface meeting his next victim, a drunk ******* in a Datsun. You can tell he’s drunk becaushe 1) he's waving a party horn, 2) he’s wearing a party hat, and 3) he announces that he’s drunk. Subtle, no?

Comic book physics are in play here: despite the fact that the Datsun is speeding towards Clayface, the driver still has time to utter two entire sentences, which Clayface can clearly hear. Only in comics, folks.
    As in all good horror stories, vice and weakness are punished. Clayface totally melts the drunk guy's face while his trophy girlfriend looks on in horror.
    Batman arrives, but too late for drunk guy. Ah, no big loss. Batman comforts the hysterical woman, who reminds him of his lost love Silver St. Cloud. Then, in an uncharacteristically emo moment, Batman loses his ****:

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
    Last edited by black gold man; January-27-12 at 04:28 PM.

"Holy Datsun addiction, Batman!"

Batman has his eye on that Z car!

Last edited by black gold man; January-27-12 at 05:21 PM.

About 10 years ago i worked with the ROMEO brothers building a sound studio..

ADRENALIN
    Rock N Roll Screamer, Detroit 1977 video and music from Detroit rock band Adrenalin. David Larson on vocals, Mike "FLASH" Haggerty on guitar, Michael Romeo on guitars, Glen Young on bass, Brian Pastoria on drums.

Mike and JIM went on to DC DRIVE
    <font size="4">
    Dc Drive is: Joey Bowen, Mark Pastoria, Brian Pastoria, Doug Kahan, Michael Romeo, Jimmy Romeo. Video made 1991 United Artists Theatre, Detroit MI featuring Cholly "Pops" Atkins. Song Produced by Vini Poncia

Alice worked with Colonel Sanders taking care of the chickens