Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prince Fielder signing - Ilitch wants a WS victory

I was watching the teleconference with Fielder and Ilitch today, and having not seen Mr. Ilitch for a while, I thought he did not look well.

It made the signing of Fielder very clear, he is about 83, and wants to win a WS more than anything before he passes. I wish him well, but with some people questioning the move in the press, to me it seems very clear he wants a WS win badly and is not concerned about years 7, 8 and 9 of Fielder's contract, when he will be nearly 90.

I hope Mr. Ilitch is healthy, no doubt he is getting the best care available. It would be a crowning achievement for him to get a WS ring, all those years after his baseball career ended.

He is selfish. If he dies in a couple of years his children might have to get by on less than 2 billion.

This reminded me of when Shaq signed with the Lakers. I hope the results are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    I was watching the teleconference with Fielder and Ilitch today, and having not seen Mr. Ilitch for a while, I thought he did not look well.

It made the signing of Fielder very clear, he is about 83, and wants to win a WS more than anything before he passes. I wish him well, but with some people questioning the move in the press, to me it seems very clear he wants a WS win badly and is not concerned about years 7, 8 and 9 of Fielder's contract, when he will be nearly 90.

I hope Mr. Ilitch is healthy, no doubt he is getting the best care available. It would be a crowning achievement for him to get a WS ring, all those years after his baseball career ended.
    I thought I heard on 97.1 the Ticket that he was 85, nevertheless he's going for it all it appears. That's a lot of cheddar he's paying though. He better sell a lot of "Hot and Readys" now. It will cost $12.00 for a cup of beer instead of $8.00 at Comerica.

Off message; but I can't help noting that Michigan State owes the City $286M which if paid might negate the need for a city of 700,000 citizens going into EM/bankruptsy [[and of course it won't be paid). At the same time Tigers can throw away $214M over 9 years on one player for a boring game that is really no benefit to anybody but the players and service providers. During the 9 years the city will continue to go down the tubes but the RBI's will continue unphased. Life is out of kilter.

401don. Are you bitter you are not smart enough to leave your kids 2 billion :P

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    but with some people questioning the move in the press, to me it seems very clear he wants a WS win badly and is not concerned about years 7, 8 and 9 of Fielder's contract, when he will be nearly 90.
    The only clowns questioning the move are certain slappies on 97.1 The Ticket who like to stoke the fire by taking unpopular stances.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Off message; but I can't help noting that Michigan State owes the City $286M which if paid might negate the need for a city of 700,000 citizens going into EM/bankruptsy [[and of course it won't be paid). .
    What does the SoM owing money to the CoD have to do with Mike Illitch spending his own money on signing Fielder? That's right. Nothing.

r for a boring game that is really no benefit to anybody ...
    Says you. I'm thrilled beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The only clowns questioning the move are certain slappies on 97.1 The Ticket who like to stoke the fire by taking unpopular stances.
    Actually if you go over to the sports thread you'll find I questioned the move. So do most outlets including FoxSports, Espn and several general managers.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Actually if you go over to the sports thread you'll find I questioned the move. So do most outlets including FoxSports, Espn and several general managers.
    You know, it might not be a smart move financially, but the owner knows his own personal window is closing and he's going for the gusto and either he or his heirs will worry about the later years when they come. Besides Prince's contract is front loaded and the basic damage will have been done when years 7,8 and 9 hit. Its his money and I can't hate on him for what he is doing.

My problem is not with Ilitch spending the money. Does anybody think that if he told Dombrowski, "Here's another 25 million a year for the next several years. Now win me a World Series in 2-3 years." that Dombrowski would go get another 1st baseman? No. He would get a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman, a left fielder and another pitcher. Ilitch waits all winter and then panics when spring training nears. He has always left the hockey decisions to management but for some reason he doesn't do the same with the Tigers.

the question I have is... how many games I can attend this year GO TIGERS !!

He is selfish. If he dies in a couple of years his children might have to get by on less than 2 billion.
    He can be selfish...it's HIS team.

My problem is not with Ilitch spending the money. Does anybody think that if he told Dombrowski, "Here's another 25 million a year for the next several years. Now win me a World Series in 2-3 years." that Dombrowski would go get another 1st baseman? No. He would get a 2nd baseman, a 3rd baseman, a left fielder and another pitcher. Ilitch waits all winter and then panics when spring training nears. He has always left the hockey decisions to management but for some reason he doesn't do the same with the Tigers.
    He didn't panic. The Tigs lost there 2nd best hitter when his knee blew out just before the start of Spring Training. Ya think Inge, Kelly, Jackson, etc can protect Cabrera???

Good point. But why a 9 year contract? Why not 2 or 3?

Occurrence Guest

I can't get myself to root for a guy who makes $214 million to hit a ball with a stick. I hope this deal blows back in their face down the road. At least now they have a legit reason why beers cost $8.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    It's the Detroit Sports Tax. Except for the Wings and maybe the Lions because of the hard cap, our teams have to pay athletes more because they generally don't want to come here. We overpaid for Pudge, Mags, offered way too much to Juan Gonzalez [[we're so lucky he didn't take it!), Charlie V [[ugh) and Ben Gordon for the Pistons...

I'm glad Illitch is so passionate that's he putting together this team at great personal cost [[Tigers will likely lose money this year unless they go all the way) but I do question the personnel. Mags, V Mart and Fielder are all slow and defensive liabilities. Peralta at short is solid but slow. We're strong at catcher and okay at 2nd. Our outfield consists of Austin Jackson and a revolving door of average fielders [[Bosch is okay). This team is made for the old Tiger Stadium, not for the big spacious Comerica. I wonder if they're pulling all the fences in with their mysterious construction project because otherwise, this team could be better on the road than home.

And I'll be glued to the set for nearly everyone. Can't wait for spring even with my doubts.

I seriously doubt that Prince's money will do to Detroit what A-Rod's contract did to Texas, but Larry Stone in the Seattle Times made a good point when he questioned how long a 275 lb. slugger will last before he begins to break down.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Because hammering out a contract with a premier free agent involves quite a bit more than merely satisfying the desires of one side.
    The Tigers wanted some serious fire-power now. Fielder wanted some long-term security now.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    It's the Detroit Sports Tax. Except for the Wings and maybe the Lions because of the hard cap, our teams have to pay athletes more because they generally don't want to come here. We overpaid for Pudge, Mags, offered way too much to Juan Gonzalez [[we're so lucky he didn't take it!), Charlie V [[ugh) and Ben Gordon for the Pistons...

I'm glad Illitch is so passionate that's he putting together this team at great personal cost [[Tigers will likely lose money this year unless they go all the way) but I do question the personnel. Mags, V Mart and Fielder are all slow and defensive liabilities. Peralta at short is solid but slow. We're strong at catcher and okay at 2nd. Our outfield consists of Austin Jackson and a revolving door of average fielders [[Bosch is okay). This team is made for the old Tiger Stadium, not for the big spacious Comerica. I wonder if they're pulling all the fences in with their mysterious construction project because otherwise, this team could be better on the road than home.

And I'll be glued to the set for nearly everyone. Can't wait for spring even with my doubts.
    Good plan. Maybe after watching a few games, you will know how to spell the names of the owner and the Right Fielder, that Magglio Ordonez is not a Tiger, that Fielder is actually a pretty good 1Bman, that Martinez is not a defensive liability by virtue of the fact that he doesn't play any position on defense, and that your "okay at 2nd" is going to be a platoon of Santiago & Raburn at that key defensive position.

There's no question this is the biggest free agent signing in Detroit sports history, but I just don't see how this deal makes any sense. Maybe because Illitch is older he doesn't really care about the long-term future of the franchise moreso than the next year or two?

Detroit isn't a team like the Yankees. They can go out and do a massive, long-term signing, but that signing will drastically curtail their financial flexibility over the long term.

So this signing means that the Tigers have basically no financial wiggle room for many years, even if attendance and revenues are spectacular. And they spent their money on someone who is destined to become a DH hitter. Is a DH hitter, even a spectacular one, ever worth 9 years and 24 million a year?

That type of money is only "worth it" for a pitcher like Verlander. Maybe a perennial MVP hitter/Gold Glove fielder would be worth it [[like a Pujols or younger ARod). A DH would never, ever, be worth it, because they're just not contributing at the same level, even if they were to be the best slugger in baseball.

If there isn't a WS in the near term, this may be one of the worst signings in professional sports history, not because of the signing itself, but on the long-term financial health of the Tigers.

So, for example, when Verlander's contract ends, assuming he'll continue his dominance, there's no possibly way the Tigers can sign him. Or, if a major player goes down this season [[which pretty much always happens), there will be no option for a major midseason trade.

In the very short term, though, this should be a great thing for the organization. They now have huge buzz and massive expectations. They could break records for Comerica attendance.

Off message; but I can't help noting that Michigan State owes the City $286M which if paid might negate the need for a city of 700,000 citizens going into EM/bankruptsy [[and of course it won't be paid). At the same time Tigers can throw away $214M over 9 years on one player for a boring game that is really no benefit to anybody but the players and service providers. During the 9 years the city will continue to go down the tubes but the RBI's will continue unphased. Life is out of kilter.
    Beg to differ. There are a lot of people going down for games. Spending money at the
    bar and restaurants downtown. paying for parking. There are 81 homegames that draw 20-30K people into the city.

This deal makes a ton of sense.

We've got a 1st baseman for the long haul who is just entering his prime. For this year, Miguel and Prince will share DH/1st base. Miguel will probably play a little 3rd as well. Inge is a goner and with good riddance; his mouth, bat, selfish 'tude and knack for making a route play "over the top for posterity" [[not to mention how many times Miguel bailed his ass out by digging poorly thrown balls to 1st out of the dirt) have worn on many folks, and he has become nothing short of a pissy ballplayer. A negative in this deal is that Inge has no/very little trade value [[and perhaps that is one reason why he acts the way he does -- to make sure he stays here because no one else will want that fucking cancer in there clubhouse).

When V Mart comes back, Young will be gone. I don't see V Mart playing Left, but you worry about that kind of stuff next year. As we've seen this year; you never know what can happen. Perhaps if V Mart comes back 100% we trade him; but I would hate to lose that great switch hitting bat and I don't really see this happening. This gives Miguel one year to get his legs in the hot corner if we need him to play there most of the time. Miguel is also on the down side of his contract [[I believe) and this move some-what insures that we have a power hitter for the long term if Miguel should ever leave for someplace else [[which I hope never, ever, happens).

If you take a look at the teams we played last year on our run, Texas and New York [[and us as well to a point) all have stadiums that have very reachable right fields; and with Bosch out, we were getting killed with home runs to right. We will most likely play those teams again on this years run.

We're hurting @ 2nd. I like Ramon a lot and I think if he was given the chance I think he could turn out to be an everyday player. Again, another switch-hitter and he seems to be coming up with the knack to be clutch at times. Rayburn; like the kid a lot but his glove --- omg.

You see, with this deal we've got options. We even have some pretty good players coming up from Toledo as well. This move could free up some of those players [[minus Turner) to get another arm in the rotation.

Also, now everyone is talking about us. Of course other GMs are going to poo poo this; Dave and Mike just pulled one of the ballziest moves in a long time and if it works out and we dominate; they all look like timid punks. Also, it means that we just made them have to pay more money for players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    This deal makes a ton of sense.
    If it makes so much sense, then why did no other team in baseball offer more than 6 years, and why was the second highest offer $60 million less?

Bulky power hitters usually don't last too long [[see Mo Vaughn/Cecil Fielder/Jason Giambi, etc.). Has there been any fat DH-style slugger in recent MLB history who had more than a decade of production?

I mean, you may be correct, and maybe this is the key piece to a WS, but every other baseball team thought otherwise.

I think Dombrowski would only consider such sums for Verlander or a pitcher of his calliber. No doubt this was 100% Illitch.
    Last edited by Bham1982; January-27-12 at 11:32 AM.

I think a part of this is that other teams didn't want to pony up the cash because it will set market price now and in the future. Tiger merchandise could be flying off the shelves around the country. Besides the money; just how cool would that be for us who live here? I mean, some of the only Tiger props we've gotten is from the old Magnum P.I. days.

lol.

I think it will be a fun time in the ole Mo' Town this year. I'm pumped; and I know many other who are as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast