Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Detropia

Haven't seen it yet but if Nolan Finley is the tour guide for the filmmaker, I'm not holding my breath that there will be anything positive.

"30 years ago everything was fine."
    -Heidi Ewing on Detroit

That would put us in 1982. I don't want to dismiss this documentary based on her opening comment in the interview, but is she speaking of Farmington Hills? Because everything was not fine in Detroit in 1982.
    I'm lead to believe this is opportunistic vomit by these two filmmakers.
    Finley's seal of approval just confirms my apprehension.
    Good luck, though. Hope you make a nice bundle off this.

If you want to watch a great, intelligent documentary about the roots of detroit's problems, check out Deforce. I can't recommend it highly enough

There are only 14 hours and counting before Detropia's Kickstarter deadline. See this interview of Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing:

Papantonio: The Decline of the American City

they're the jesus camp ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    "30 years ago everything was fine."
    -Heidi Ewing on Detroit

That would put us in 1982. I don't want to dismiss this documentary based on her opening comment in the interview, but is she speaking of Farmington Hills? Because everything was not fine in Detroit in 1982.
    It was "better" than today for Detroit's neighborhoods.

Anyone watch this film lately? I am watching it on Netflix... I am liking it ok... some interesting views and very short interviews. Some coverage of the blight I have seen before....... Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-17-13 at 06:19 PM.

I got it, I'm going to watch it tonight.

I watched it in theatre here in Vancouver a few months ago. It had its high points but overall it came across as a wasted opportunity. It focused on globalization and the departure of industry as the main cause of Detroit's situation today. But it's so much more complicated than that, and the film failed to address any of those other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Anyone watch this film lately? I am watching it on Netflix... I am liking it ok... some interesting views and very short interviews. Some coverage of the blight I have seen before....... Thoughts?
    I watched it a month ago. Seemed to be more focused on how the decline of the auto industry affected Detroit rather than a wholistic review of why Detroit has declined.