Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Washington Blvd. stores

So I've always characterized, by what I've gathered, that Washington Blvd. was the elegant street of Detroit. I know of the hotels, BC and Statler were the grand hotels but what about the retail. I know of Himelhoch's, Peck and Peck, and JM Citron but what other businesses lined Washington Blvd.? I heard that the Book Tower was full of airline companies, which would attract a more exclusive clientele.

If there has been a thread about this please post it, though I don't believe so.

Quickee Donuts became Nikki's Pizza, then became St. Al's community Center.

Federal Collateral had several locations.

Wasn't there a Garner White Furniture located on the East Side of the street?

For a very short time there was a sporting goods store on the main floor of the Garbriel Richard building.

Rio Boutique was located on a corner, was it Grand River? It later moved to Compuware.

A few pics of Washington Blvd. in this thread....
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ack-in-the-day

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So I've always characterized, by what I've gathered, that Washington Blvd. was the elegant street of Detroit. I know of the hotels, BC and Statler were the grand hotels but what about the retail. I know of Himelhoch's, Peck and Peck, and JM Citron but what other businesses lined Washington Blvd.? I heard that the Book Tower was full of airline companies, which would attract a more exclusive clientele.

If there has been a thread about this please post it, though I don't believe so.

Well, until December of 1957 the Greyhound bus terminal was at the corner of Washington Blvd.& Grand River [[occupied by the former Trolley Plaza Apartments) before moving to E. Congress.

Federal Collateral I believe was my Father's jewler, bought everything through them and supposedly got a pretty good deal. Bought my wife's wedding ring there.

Gardner White was in the Madison Building on Washington Blvd. There used to be a Greenfield's cafeteria also on the Boulevard, near the location of the old bus station.

Gale Research [[publisher) was a MAJOR tenant in the Book Tower, and then moved to the Penobscot. They finally moved to Farmington Hills after the company was sold by the founder, and they built a new HQ at Drake and 12 Mile.

There were ad agencies in the tower - I remember one run by a Bob Morellian [[sp?), and was Ross Roy there too?

Walker Cisler, former Detroit Ed chairman, had a private office in the building after his utility career. [[Google his name for MUCH info.)

Zef's Coney Island - now on Woodward - was one of the last tenants in the Book, along with Bookies, now in its own building on Cass, south of I-75/Fisher.