Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Cadieux Stage

Default Cadieux Stage

Name:  Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 5.55.52 PM.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  31.1 KB

Is anyone familiar with this soundstage over on Cadieux?

Apparently it was/is used by the motion capture folks at Critical Moves: http://www.metromodemedia.com/compan...Moves0020.aspx

According to the above article, the stage itself has a "storied" past. Any former PCS or FilmCraft folks listening?

I was dropping a buddy off at the Cadieux farmhouse across the street about a year ago. Jerry called him and told him to stop by. We walked in, and there being photographed was a one-time custom made early 30's Duesenberg, black, and completely decked out in stainless steel. Easily, a car Jay Leno would give both of his thumbs for.

The owner was shipping the car from the east coast to LA to be auctioned. The photographer insisted he would only shoot the several-million-dollar-car at the Cadieux stage. Arrangements were made, the car detoured to Detroit, the photographer flew in, pictures were taken.

Before Farber, the place was owned by Gil Hill and a couple of other shysters. Their idea was to play off Gil's Hollywood star and make movies there. Their concept included the idea that ladies would love to watch movies being made while having their hair done, so they tried to build a beauty shop upstairs.

In the process of building the beauty salon, Gil and pals decided the place needed some updating as that Art Moderne look is sooo old; they then set to redecorating in a style of Early Whorehouse. Red flocked wallpaper, disco lighting from radio shack, Auto Show carpet...

While waiting for the movie makers to show up, and before the ssalon was finished, they thought they should run a limo serivice out of the place. Soon the drivers were also running coke and hookers out of the place, then it took a turn for the worse.

Farber has done wonderful things to make that place what it is today, he deserves massive credit for sticking with his dream and in restoring a fantastic building.

I know the building and always thought it was cool looking. Never would guess that it is used for that and has all that crap inside!

Awesome stories.

I'm disappointed that I've never been at this stage. I've been in corporate/industrial video my entire [[short) career and have shot on a handful of studios around town, but never here.

Anyone know if they space is still being used occasionally? The building is listed for sale:

http://www.showcase.com/property/492...Michigan/55329

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I was dropping a buddy off at the Cadieux farmhouse across the street about a year ago.
    I noticed that same house across the street. What's it's story? Certainly sticks out in the neighborhood.

Grew up about a block away from this building...we knew it had something to do with movies, but everything was really hush-hush around the place, you couldn't really see the bulk of the parking lot from the street. Used to have a lot more foliage around it.

I grew up a couple blocks over from the Cadieux Stage. Back in the 70's they would be doing photo shoots . I would see in the building from the alley. They were taking pictures of old classic cars.