Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dan Gilbert - This is just cool!

Very creative thinking from his marketing team.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ts-into-stores

Not really.

If I were unscrupulous, I know where I'd loiter if I wanted to collect SmartPhones.

A virtual shooting gallery, line 'em up!

Okay...as usual we can only find a negative.

Not usual for me, but this one is a gimme. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Not really.
    Agreed, but at least he's trying.

BTW, didn't the city of Detroit do this very same thing when the All-Star Game and Superbowl was coming here?

Let me know when some middle-of-the-line store [[not a liquor store or a store only Oprah Winfrey can afford), or REAL retail opens on Woodward.

This is an incredibly inventive way to active ground floor retail spaces while the building is undergoing renovations. Good work yet again Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed, but at least he's trying.

BTW, didn't the city of Detroit do this very same thing when the All-Star Game and Superbowl was coming here?

Let me know when some middle-of-the-line store [[not a liquor store or a store only Oprah Winfrey can afford), or REAL retail opens on Woodward.
    What would you consider to be a middle-of-the-line store? Something like Wal-Mart or Target?

Does "You Walk Bail Bonds" count?

JKJK

I'm sure some real retail is on the way. In the interim, this is still a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    What would you consider to be a middle-of-the-line store? Something like Wal-Mart or Target?
    Yes.

Some place people with middle class incomes can afford, and also places that people will travel for and will enjoy shopping at.

Okay so you are using storefronts to shop over the internet??? Where are the products made? Where are the shipping jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    This is an incredibly inventive way to active ground floor retail spaces while the building is undergoing renovations. Good work yet again Dan!
    It sure is a lot better than vacant windows. Smart.

This is undoubtely way better than empty windows, but let's be clear; this is neither new, nor is this something Gilbert came up with. He gets credit for bringing the concept to Detroit, but it's not something he invented. Series of small steps can certainly lead to bigger gains, but this Gilbert cheerleading can get to be a bit much at times. It'd be nice if it were proportionate to what he's actually doing [[which is a whole helluva lot), as opposed to this kind of reflexive and overdramatic cheerleading.

Obviously this isn't new, but I think that its a good short-term move. What is there to lose? Personally, I cheer Gilbert because he is actually doing something down there. When others start contributing in the same manner, I'm sure they'll get the same treatment from the DetroitYes gang. People are cheerleaders for him because they love the D and are excited to see something to enhance the place they love. I say cheer on.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Personally, I cheer Gilbert because he is actually doing something down there. When others start contributing in the same manner, I'm sure they'll get the same treatment from the DetroitYes gang.
    I'm excited about the train station! Matty's almost done with it, right?

Ha. Well, THAT guy is a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I'm excited about the train station! Matty's almost done with it, right?
    One floor at a time... a much larger endeavor than a few signs in empty storefronts that already have windows...

an article in the Free Press says that Gilbert is looking for "500 interns" to bring in for the summer at his companies.. I wonder where you apply.. http://www.freep.com/article/2012012...sey=nav%7Chead

Good stuff! Get those kids down here.

Tonight on the way home I saw a blue-hair from B-ham and a lawyer in leather chaps on a Harley from RO stop and scan those QR codes on Woodward. I swear.
    Who will volunteer to go over in the morning and try to buy something from the virtual walk-about shop? Ready. Aim. Click. KaChing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    One floor at a time... a much larger endeavor than a few signs in empty storefronts that already have windows...
    Please. He's "fixing" that station like he's "fixed" his Gateway Project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Please. He's "fixing" that station like he's "fixed" his Gateway Project.
    Don't let your dislike for him cloud your judgement....

You have seen the photos that mcsdetroitfriend posted, haven't you? No one said this was a restoral... just a mothballing...

I don't trust anything that Maroun says. The first time I read that story about restoring the train station I laughed outloud. Does anyone really think that it was anything more than a ploy to win support from the people over the NITC? So far, Gilbert has been the opposite. He seems to care[[while making a healthy profit of course).

Yes.

Some place people with middle class incomes can afford, and also places that people will travel for and will enjoy shopping at.
    Which, essentially, excludes Wal-Mart or Target. Don't know anyone who would come downtown for something they can go to down the street. Downtown needs unique retail, not cookie-cutter big-box crap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast