Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rose Terrace

Default Rose Terrace

Hi my name is bill and i live in DETROIT and i can still get a fresh Cannoli
    at the corner.store.

I have stone from Rose Terrace and made a fireplace in my green house out of it.
    Also have a 14 foot column and capital. It is the stone from France seen
    in this video. I worked for a old guy who lived at one island court
    right next door. He told story's about party's before the war at the big table.
    He gave me the stone years ago.

What was the name of the John Dodge house across Lakeshore Dr that was never finished? Can't remember or find anything!

Great videos - thanks TONS for posting.

OneShot, I don't think John Dodge's Grosse Pointe mansion had a name.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    What was the name of the John Dodge house across Lakeshore Dr that was never finished? Can't remember or find anything!
    I don't think it was "named". Harbor Hill is the development that occupies the area now.

The Anna Thompson Dodge estate was magnificent. Back then Detroit had people who you could legitimately classify as "characters". Certainly the Dodge Family provided the local gossip rags with lots of fodder. Anna T. was staid and her son Horace was a very wealthy playboy who married a few wild women causing interesting copy. Then there was Hank the duece, Bobby Lane, to name a few. We are left with drug pushers, killers, etc. Detroit was the place back then

Where's the corner store where you can get fresh cannolis? I have a craving for one right now.

Vince's Bakery & Party Store

• [[313) 839-9374

12800 E 8 Mile Rd, Detroit, MI 48205

15 fireplaces!

I love the bar, the main gate, and the service gate.

It was great to see the videos, but partially painful to put up with the pompous purple prose...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I don't think it was "named". Harbor Hill is the development that occupies the area now.
    Is this on the corner of Fisher Rd & Lakeshore? I recall pics of the place but can't find them. Supposedly parts of it were used in Meadowbrook's construction.

Is this on the corner of Fisher Rd & Lakeshore? I recall pics of the place but can't find them. Supposedly parts of it were used in Meadowbrook's construction.
    Thats where Rose Terrace was.

Harbor Hill is further north/east between Lakeshore & GP Blvd. Major explosion there when I worked for MichCon. Remnants of old Dodge tunnel filled with gas from a leaking line, took some houses with it.

Farther north, north of St Paul.

http://wikimapia.org/14101376/Man-Ma...-s-Harbor-Hill

It was demolished in 1941 and the land developed in 1949.

Harbor Hill. John F. Dodge House. Unfinished at his death in 1920. With brother, Horace E., Land on lake side had space for boathouse.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Harbor Hill. John F. Dodge House. Unfinished at his death in 1920. With brother, Horace E., Land on lake side had space for boathouse.
    Thank you! Thats the house I'm referring to! Was there any other pics or floor plans?

Search Google image click to web site.

I've often wondered about that little penninsula. Thanks, bg man. I wonder who owns it now.

It's owned by the subdivision.

Black Gold Man is looking for drywall or plaster work in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It's owned by the subdivision.
    Actually the city of Grosse Pointe Farms owns it and Harbor Hill Maintains it. The association lost it to back taxes if I remember correctly years ago.

You find the best sources on this forum.

Had no idea the interior of Rose Terrace was that impressive. From the looks of it, Rose Terrace had to have been America's finest Classic French Revival ever. There are scores of historical mansions on the East Coast [[ie. Newport, RI) but none of them that I can think of come close to duplicating the French originals like Rose Terrace did. Wish I could have seen the building while it was intact. To have a building modeled on the Petit Trianon and filled with paintings, sculptures, and furniture of the French & Russian aristocracy located in 20th-century Detroit is just really out there. The Edsel & Eleanor Ford estate is large but it does not have imaginative grandeur Rose Terrace once had.

Well, at least someone had the foresight to make that short film.

Rose Terrace was Horace Trumbaur's last major American palace. In American Splendor, The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbaur Michael Kathrens devotes 13 pages to text, pictures, and floor plans of Rose Terrace. The book is currently out of print but a second edition should be out soon. If this type of book appeals to you, it's well worth the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Splen...7774184&sr=1-1

Here are the plans for Roes Terrace: Name:  Rose Terrace plans.jpg
Views: 12462
Size:  30.0 KB

The 1920 Detroit society wedding of Delphine Dodge and James H.R. Cromwell, with original newsreel footage

SS DELPHINE is available for charter in West Mediterranean

The story began in April 1921 at River Rouge [[near Detroit), Michigan, USA, where the Great Lakes Engineering Works had the honour of launching DELPHINE belonging to the Dodge family. At that time, the Dodge Brothers’ Company was one of the largest American automobile-manufacturers.
    read more here http://www.ssdelphine.com/

For sale http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1921.../Tunis/Tunisia

You can experience the era of the golden age in new york at OHEKA CASTLE. Perhaps read the great gatsby first.

GUSHI Guest

Oheka castle is beautiful I went to a wedding there a few years back 2 or 3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast