Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Black Woman, Detroiter And Cass Tech Grad Named CEO of Sam's Club

That much has pretty much persuaded me to sign up for a Sam's Club membership.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1219076.html

Good for her! Hopefully she remembers where she came from...

What a fantastic role model for young Detroiters, especially those graduating from Cass Tech. It would be great if stories like this ran on the front page every day!

Her accomplishments aside, I would choose Costco over Sam's Club any day of the week. They pay their employees on average 40% more than Sam's and 85% of their employees have company sponsored health insurance [[Compare that to less than 50% for Walmart/Sam's Club workers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Her accomplishments aside, I would choose Costco over Sam's Club any day of the week. They pay their employees on average 40% more than Sam's and 85% of their employees have company sponsored health insurance [[Compare that to less than 50% for Walmart/Sam's Club workers.)
    Do you have a cite for that?

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Do you have a cite for that?
    My apologies for not posting a link earlier, but here's an article describing Costco's average wages and the percentage of employees covered by their health insurance.

http://www.moneyandbusiness.com/care...alaries-costco

I'm looking for the article I found that mentioned the numbers for Sam's Club and Walmart and will post it shortly.

Occurrence Guest

Shopping at Sam's Club is just as evil as shopping at Walmart. Have some class and at the very least support Costco instead.

I worked for Walmart and with one exception, I was treated very well. I was also paid very well too.

However, I am a white male, which allegedly is what you would want to be if you work there.

I don't shop at Walmart anymore because Meijer is closer to my house than the 14/Van Dyke Walmart. Walmart has terrible returns service. Walmart also abuses its suppliers.

Occurrence Guest

Always remember, if you have cancer and use marijuana legally to combat nausea brought upon by chemo radiation, Walmart will fire you.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Shopping at Sam's Club is just as evil as shopping at Walmart. Have some class and at the very least support Costco instead.
    For the record, I already have a Costco membership.

so what's a sam's club card cost.. and what's a costco card cost? And do you have to renew it every year?

relatively speaking, what's the main attraction to shopping at these places? I don't need a 1/2 dozen jars of peanut butter at a whop..

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what's a sam's club card cost.. and what's a costco card cost? And do you have to renew it every year?

relatively speaking, what's the main attraction to shopping at these places? I don't need a 1/2 dozen jars of peanut butter at a whop..

The experience and knee-jerk confusion that comes from buying gum, paper towels, juice, a big-ass jar of pretzels, toothpaste, and a few snacks and spending like $125.00.

Why should I care whether this woman is black, white or Chinese?

A black woman was named CEO of Sam's Club....so what? What's her zodiac sign?

Aren't we past all this line-drawing? It's not exactly like it's a milestone any more when a black person does something of note. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the US has a black president.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    Why should I care whether this woman is black, white or Chinese?

A black woman was named CEO of Sam's Club....so what? What's her zodiac sign?

Aren't we past all this line-drawing? It's not exactly like it's a milestone any more when a black person does something of note. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the US has a black president.
    She is the first African-American female CEO of a chain owned by a company often in the news fighting allegations of sexism/racism in its hiring and promotion practices. She is from Detroit and DPS which are often in the news for failure to produce educated/qualified workers.

It’s news. Kudos to her. Kudos to Sam’s Club/Walmart temporarily if this is a sign of changing philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    She is the first African-American female CEO of a chain owned by a company often in the news fighting allegations of sexism/racism in its hiring and promotion practices. She is from Detroit and DPS which are often in the news for failure to produce educated/qualified workers.

It’s news. Kudos to her. Kudos to Sam’s Club/Walmart temporarily if this is a sign of changing philosophies.

Hopefully their philosophies have been the same for years; Hire the most qualified person.

That has hardly been the case with most of the people I've seen hired at most of the places I've worked.

With executive positions being much more political, I'm sure it's worse.

Congrats to the new CEO. Achieving that status, is laudatory. I will keep my opinion of Sam's Club and other big box stores out of this. It is just good to hear that a Detroiter has made it to the top position in a major corporation. The fact that it is a female...or that she is black is just icing on the cake. Best of luck to her.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post

It just shows you what a person can do if they 1) Attend school every day 2) pay attention to teachers 3) have parental participation 4) study hard 5) graduate from school. Any one of us who attended DPS at one time or another in the last 50 years knows that they got a good education if they followed those rules. If you don't attend school, think of it as a joke or waste of time, if your parents don't participate, there is no future for you anywhere. The next step is the streets and crime.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Hopefully their philosophies have been the same for years; Hire the most qualified person.
    Your eyes are closed.

Qualifying who is the most qualified is itself qualified by who is making the qualification[[s).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    What a fantastic role model for young Detroiters, especially those graduating from Cass Tech. It would be great if stories like this ran on the front page every day!

What a fantastic role model period!

This shouldn't be a surprise. CT is known for producing high achievers in just about any field you can imagine.
    Last edited by firstandten; January-24-12 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    This shouldn't be a surprise. CT is known for producing high achievers in just about any field you can imagine.

Yeah, like our former mayor. He was a high achiever.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Your eyes are closed.

Qualifying who is the most qualified is itself qualified by who is making the qualification[[s).
    Sigh, my eyes are wide open. My comment simply meant that I hope that they hired the new CEO using the same set of criteria they have been using for years.