Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default East Catholic High School being demolished

I just drove by East Catholic High. Adamo is there and asbestos are currently being removed.

That's too bad. I remember going to a few of their homecoming dances and attending some games there when I was in High School.

Interesting pictorial of East Catholic

http://detroiturbex.com/content/schools/eastcath/index.html

Another gem bites the dust!

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Interesting.

Who is responsible for leaving all those books, beakers, computer screens and other items that could have been salvaged? I'm sure another school could have used those items.

Who is responsible for deciding to tear down a beautiful building in decent shape?? So many other junk properties in that area...

Even though it hasn't existed since 1969........So long St.Anthony High School [[Teutons)

What a waste. Such a nice looking building that appears to be in pretty good shape.

Who owns the building?

In the words of brother Rasputin...tear dat schitt down. No, just kidding..that sucks indeed.

The way the archdiocese lets these properties rot is sickening.

GUSHI Guest

I remember playing basketball there is 92 we got our ass kicked on the court by their team. We were freshman at Florian, there freshman team shortest guy was taller than our tallest guy.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    The way the archdiocese lets these properties rot is sickening.
    Agreed, but they're not unique. And they didn't break in and smash up the place. Let's keep the blame on the uncivilized who did the illegal damage.

They were dominate in basketball lead by coach David Soules.
    Here's their tournament record.
    http://michigan-football.com/bb/destcath.htm

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Another gem bites the dust!
    It was for sale for 295k for the longest time, you should of purchased it,

I wonder what the property will be used for, if anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wonder what the property will be used for, if anything..
    More green space.

The way the archdiocese lets these properties rot is sickening

Are there others? I know that the AoD had the St. Rita's site on the market for a year and had 24 hour security for the entire year and still the buildings got ripped apart and the site was finally sold for pennies. The Aod had been trying to keep values up in the neighborhood and city by selling for a reasonable amount, but the Visigoths ruined the property.

I see properties like Assumption Grotto, Nativity and even the long-empty St. Martin's and they are pristine. Which others?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The way the archdiocese lets these properties rot is sickening

Are there others? I know that the AoD had the St. Rita's site on the market for a year and had 24 hour security for the entire year and still the buildings got ripped apart and the site was finally sold for pennies. The Aod had been trying to keep values up in the neighborhood and city by selling for a reasonable amount, but the Visigoths ruined the property.

I see properties like Assumption Grotto, Nativity and even the long-empty St. Martin's and they are pristine. Which others?
    Notre Dame High was a mess for several years until Chandler Park bought it. The buildings on the back of Bishop Gallagher are looking pretty shabby too with partially boarded up windows.

But what's most disturbing about the East Catholic pictures is what they left behind inside -- books, beakers in the science lab, a piano, other equipment. This stuff couldn't be boxed up and moved and given to some organization that could have used it?

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    But what's most disturbing about the East Catholic pictures is what they left behind inside -- books, beakers in the science lab, a piano, other equipment. This stuff couldn't be boxed up and moved and given to some organization that could have used it?
    Textbooks and computers become obsolete pretty quickly, and as the Archdiocese does not close schools without figuring, pretty far in advance, that they are likely to do so, it is improbable that the books and computers were of recent vintage.

A piano, unless new or in awesome shape, is not worth what it costs to move it.

As far as science equipment, someone at the school, on the verge of losing his or her job, would have had to go to the trouble of locating someone who could use such items, and figure out who would be willing to pay for the cost of sending them.

I'm not apologizing for the Archdiocese; I'm just saying that what you suggest is neither simple nor trivial.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think East Catholic was the last user of that building. As to Notre Dame, I think the first buyer is responsible for what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Interesting.

Who is responsible for leaving all those books, beakers, computer screens and other items that could have been salvaged? I'm sure another school could have used those items.
    It always amazes me when I see abandoned schools and most of the supplies are left in the school building. With the lack of funds that schools have and the rate that these schools are vandalized, I don't understand why you wouldn't empty the school of anything of value right after it closed. It seems like a waste to leave all those supplies there. Maybe nobody cares.

That picture of the frozen mop was interesting. It's like everybody just upped and vanished, with nobody coming back to collect anything.

You also often see students' records left behind. I don't think that's very secure.

Does anyone know what color bricks the school is/was?

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    It always amazes me when I see abandoned schools and most of the supplies are left in the school building. With the lack of funds that schools have and the rate that these schools are vandalized, I don't understand why you wouldn't empty the school of anything of value right after it closed. It seems like a waste to leave all those supplies there. Maybe nobody cares.

That picture of the frozen mop was interesting. It's like everybody just upped and vanished, with nobody coming back to collect anything.

You also often see students' records left behind. I don't think that's very secure.
    Well in defense of the abandoned supplies, much of the material is outdated.

That said, I'm pretty sure the school had another copy of the students' school records, probably with the Archdioses of Detroit and the State of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well in defense of the abandoned supplies, much of the material is outdated.

That said, I'm pretty sure the school had another copy of the students' school records, probably with the Archdioses of Detroit and the State of Michigan.
    My concern is more over whether the records would have information like Social Security numbers on them. If so, with scrappers going in and out of the building, that would seem to not be very safe/

Even if the material was outdated, it just seems like a waste to leave it all behind. They also left behind all the school's trophies and stuff. It just seems wasteful to let all that stuff rot along with the building.

Nice looking building, rjlj, but location, location, location.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast