Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 20+ Hearses on Woodward and Warren Ave

I'm at the traffic light at Woodward on Warren Ave and ive been waiting a good ten minutes so far for a funeral procession which included over 20 hearses! Does anyone know what's going on?

I have no idea, but I did see a story on Huffington Post about about a protest against violence involving a bunch of.......hearses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ml?ref=detroit

Your local morticians are concerned about the number of young,violent deaths in the city, so they were driving around trying to keep it real for the young punks out there.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/H...k/-/index.html

I ran a post about it last week....

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...e-with-hearses

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Your local morticians are concerned about the number of young,violent deaths in the city, so they were driving around trying to keep it real for the young punks out there.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/H...k/-/index.html

Maybe they were out drumming up business?
    "Look no waiting while you shoot"

When BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS in the ghettoes of Detroit. All the funeral businesses will have to step in the do the dead parade. Look at all the hearses driving down Woodward Ave. This would send a message to anyone who still doing the devil's work. Don't let "it" win Jesus Christ will one day save us.

All kidding aside this was a pretty visible attempt by someone to bring attention to a problem. So kudos, kinda.

[[preemptive sarcasm warning)- I mean, it really took me by surprise when I discovered there is a crime problem in the city. Thankfully these 20 hearses alerted me to the problem. I'm going to start going to church and pray extra hard. That's going to make the difference. Snitch on my neighbor? No I'll just pray that he does the right thing. Turn in my little nephew? No. I'll just pray and maybe drag him with me to church so if he does get caught I can pose in front of the cameras so I can tell everyone he was a good boy that went to church.

20 hearses rolling down the road with signs stating the obvious sends a weak message that is only effective enough to inspire old women to nod their sunday hats in agreement.

Now, if each hearse had 4 people riding with shotguns and signs reading "we're watching you" or "always room for one more" it would be a more relavant message to whom they are trying to speak-scumbags.

So overall, noticeable?-sure. Effective? It has us discussing crime in the city-a discussion that has been taking place for 60+ years.

I guess my biggest question is, where's the solution in this effort?

Frankly it seems odd to protest one of your most stable and predictable revenue sources.
    Last edited by bailey; January-23-12 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Now, if each hearse had 4 people riding with shotguns and signs reading "we're watching you" or "always room for one more" it would be a more relavant message to whom they are trying to speak-scumbags.
    Because gangsters are obviously afraid of dying? That sounds about as logical as threatening would be suicide bombers with the death penalty.

Bailey,
    Most young people's family in the 'hood don't have that type of "revenue" to keep one funeral home in business let alone the countless others that operates in the City of Detroit. Also, these business people [[funeral homes, directors) are probably seeing the mourners who come into their establishments after one of the young people are killed. I been to a funeral where a young person dies and the respect level of the living is akin to the dead. It's awful!

At least its a start. I still can't believe Detroiters dont have a mass rally to stop the unwanted killings and crime that is throughout the entire city.

It is because it isn't keeping it real or because a person may be labeled a snitch?

I find it very odd that a city that has been in the top 3 for serious crimes for decades still hasn't had a huge demonstration to show they won't be victims any longer.

Though shall not kill. I was apart of that motercade just because I thought it was extremely sad that funeral directors were fed up w/ all the unwanted business they have been receiving. It was pretty cool. however Rally's and Marches are old school. My generation doesnt give a hoot about marches and rally's cause they have proved themselves inaffective. It was a good gesture but It CHANGED NOTHING. We must come up w/ a new approach. I talk to alot of youth throughout the day. When I stop places i.e. gas stations, liquor stores etc. where a bunch of young guys are hanging out, selling drugs, skipping school, smoking weed. I spend a few minutes talking about real life situations and what they need to be doing instead of smoking and drinking their lives away. Never had a problem and always greeted w/ respect. All these punks need is someone to tell/show them something different. give them a different point of view that they never thought of b4. I'm not saying I changed their lives that second or that you will. But at least plant the seed and hope it gets enough light and water.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    I talk to alot of youth throughout the day. When I stop places i.e. gas stations, liquor stores etc. where a bunch of young guys are hanging out, selling drugs, skipping school, smoking weed. I spend a few minutes talking about real life situations and what they need to be doing instead of smoking and drinking their lives away. Never had a problem and always greeted w/ respect. All these punks need is someone to tell/show them something different. give them a different point of view that they never thought of b4. I'm not saying I changed their lives that second or that you will. But at least plant the seed and hope it gets enough light and water.

Your approach is noble and one can only hope that your words can turn someone around.
    However we would need hundreds more like you to reach out in this way.
    You're correct that a display of hearses will have little if any impact at all. I'm honestly surprised they weren't shot up.

The problem is the culture as a whole. Thug life is easy, looked at it from their point of view. Why get a real job if you can carry an unlicensed gun and shoot up whatever and whoever you want and take what you need? Why be burdened down with things like taxes and maintaining a nice house when you can just hang around on the corner with your pants down to your knees, hiding inside a hoodie making cash selling crack?

And if you get caught? So what? You probably know most of the guys you'll meet in prison anyway so it's handslaps and bro-hugs all around. Not to mention free meals and most likely better living conditions than what you have on the street.

Now, no one is going to like this, but personally I'm all for much, much more strict punishment for engaging in this type of life and damn what anyone says about it. The city has all this open land? Time to start killing two birds with one stone and use it by creating labor camps.

Fence off some large areas, put up some shelters and make these people start working by tending the fields growing food to be sold down at Eastern Market or wherever. Just so long as it goes to those who need it most.

And by working, I mean working. None of this yard time playing basketball or lifting weights. No TV, no nothing. No access to anything even remotely entertaining because you're not here to have a good time. You work, you eat, you sleep and that's all.

Work six days a week [[we'd have to figure out something to do during the winter months) and one day off for church services and counseling.

Rob a liquor store? One year in camp,
    Selling drugs? Two years.
    Kill someone? This one would be a bit extreme but sorry, if you look around, I think it's iron fist time. If you kill, you hang. Publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Frankly it seems odd to protest one of your most stable and predictable revenue sources.
    The morticians addressed that idea directly in the article. They'd rather not have the business. They want people when it's their time.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Because gangsters are obviously afraid of dying? That sounds about as logical as threatening would be suicide bombers with the death penalty.

Some cool rides, tho' ... check out the one on the
    left ... dat diggah got style !!

Add this to the Woodward dream cruise and you have a REASON to gather tourists!

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post

Some cool rides, tho' ... check out the one on the
    left ... dat diggah got style !!
    That's the hearse Rosa Parks was in...it's owned by Swanson Funeral Homes.