Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Occurrence Guest

Maybe that's his punishment from God for not doing more to keep keep children from being molested.

I shed not only single solitary tear since HIS earthly problems are over. Now these young men who his inaction allowed to be moleted over the last almost 20 years? Yeah...the TRUE depth of their problems have not even BEGUN to manifest yet....

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Maybe that's his punishment from God for not doing more to keep keep children from being molested.
    So then, why do the rest of us all wind up getting the same "punishment?"

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    So then, why do the rest of us all wind up getting the same "punishment?"
    I'm not sure. The religious nuts probably have an answer for that because they know everything.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I'm not sure. The religious nuts probably have an answer for that because they know everything.
    I see. I thought maybe you were representing them.
    Never mind.

RIP Joe....

IMO the good things that Paterno did in his 50 years at Penn State far outweigh his lapse in judgement when he was a 75 year old man. It's easy to say that he should have done more, but it's important to remember that we're looking at it 10 years later with all the evidence is out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    RIP Joe....

IMO the good things that Paterno did in his 50 years at Penn State far outweigh his lapse in judgement when he was a 75 year old man. It's easy to say that he should have done more, but it's important to remember that we're looking at it 10 years later with all the evidence is out in the open.
    I hope you don't have kids.

Occurrence Guest

I doubt the victims would agree with this statement. What do you think?

Ravine Guest

I've already expressed my view of the entire Penn State tragedy, but as for the post you're asking about, I think it's a steaming mound of utterly contemptible horseshit, and I assume that the victims would be outraged and disgusted by it.

Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Ravine; January-23-12 at 04:01 AM.

IMO the good things that Paterno did in his 50 years at Penn State far outweigh his lapse in judgement when he was a 75 year old man.
    No, no it doesn't.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    My thought exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    And what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

The acts that Sandusky is accused of committing are vile, disgusting and I would gladly string the scumbag up from my backyard tree if I ever caught him touching children. That being said, Paterno had children of his own, was not a child molester, never witnessed any abuse and was only told about the one suspected instance of abuse by a grad student who himself said he was unsure of what he saw/heard [[According to multiple sources I have read the then grad student told Paterno few of the graphic details that he told the police a decade later). Paterno reported what he had been told to the athletic director and the Vice President of the University who was in charge of the campus police.

And of course everyone here thinks being in the same situation we would have done more, gone to the police right away, stopped all the assaults, caught Sandusky years before and prevented all of this from ever happening. It would been obvious to us what was happening because we are better human beings and care about children more than Joe Paterno,the 100's of parents who trusted Sandusky with their children or anyone else at Penn State.

In hindsight it's obvious that Paterno made a tragic mistake, and I'm sure he regretted not doing more until the day that he died. That still does not negate the lifetime he devoted to Penn State and his players. He was a good man, but no one is perfect. RIP Joe...
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-23-12 at 10:05 AM.

RIP Joe....

What did he do that any good high school coach or teacher doesn't do?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    What did he do that any good high school coach or teacher doesn't do?

Joe Paterno was at Penn State for 61 years and during that time his team won multiple national championships. How about naming other coaches or teachers at any level that devoted that amount of their life to one school? My guess is that it's an incredibly short list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-24-12 at 01:35 PM.

Joe Paterno was at Penn State for 61 years and during that time his team won multiple national championships. How about naming other coaches or teachers at any level that devoted that amount of their life to one school? My guess is that it's an incredibly short list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno

Yes. And his failure to protect innocent children wipes that all off the map.

When an adult hears that a child is in danger, there is only one acceptable response; it has two parts.

First, you do anything and everything humanly possible to immediately remove that child from danger. Forget protocol, forget regulations, forget the law, forget everything except the safety of the child. Nothing else matters.

Next, and immediately afterward, you do everything humanly possible to make sure the danger is eliminated. You don't sleep on it for a day or two, you don't tell your boss that something might be wrong. You call the cops, you call the National Guard, you do whatever you damned well have to do to make sure it never happens again.

I don't give a good goddamn how many games he won or how much money he donated to PSU. I don't care how many ex-players tell me what a positive role model he was for them. I don't care how many jock-sniffing slappies post about looking at his whole life before judging him.

I have looked. And I have decided that since his non-action allowed a serial pedophile another decade or so of freedom to molest little boys, he was a worthless piece of shit that is every bit as culpable as Jerry Sandusky is for ruining so many innocent lives.

If there's a hell, I hope he burns for all eternity.

Ravine Guest

But Vic!! Multiple national championships!!

For what it's worth, I bow to your eloquence and I emphatically, 100% agree with every word you wrote.
    A great post; thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post

If there's a hell, I hope he burns for all eternity.

Rest in peace Joe.

I'm done with this thread...........................

Ravine Guest

Rest in peace Joe.

I'm done with this thread...........................
    Well, good, then.

You expressed your feelings. A lot of folks feel quite differently, from you, about this matter. You're citing his contributions to a college football program; we're talking about his failure to act forcefully when doing so could have prevented children from being raped, otherwise abused, and exploited.

There was only one Joe Paterno. We cannot pretend that one Paterno was a legendary football coach and another Paterno was a disgraceful moral failure. It's the same guy, whether we-- or you, personally-- like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post

I don't give a good goddamn how many games he won or how much money he donated to PSU. I don't care how many ex-players tell me what a positive role model he was for them. I don't care how many jock-sniffing slappies post about looking at his whole life before judging him.

I have looked. And I have decided that since his non-action allowed a serial pedophile another decade or so of freedom to molest little boys, he was a worthless piece of shit that is every bit as culpable as Jerry Sandusky is for ruining so many innocent lives.
    For once I think the NCAA got it right. While PSU did not get the death penalty it came real close.

Joe Pa ain't so legendary any more since PSU vacated so many wins it put Eddie Robinson of Grambling back on top as the winningest coach in history.

The 20 scholarships they lose over the next 4 years means U of M and MSU won't have much to worry about

This doesn't include the 60 mil the school has to shell out.

They will let players transfer anywhere without any penalty immediately

While the NCAA didn't shut the program down, they made it so that PSU will be uncompetitive for years, thereby accomplishing the same goal.

Its always the cover-up

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rition-penalty

The people who are going to be effected by this are the ones who aren't guilty of anything. The coaches and administration people are gone. keep the fine, make it a two-year ban on postseason football, vacate the wins [[which is kind of like Romney's "retroactive" retirement), make it a two year scholarship penalty, remove the "free to leave" part

GUSHI Guest

I agree w u on all just not the vacate the wins part
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The people who are going to be effected by this are the ones who aren't guilty of anything. The coaches and administration people are gone. keep the fine, make it a two-year ban on postseason football, vacate the wins [[which is kind of like Romney's "retroactive" retirement), make it a two year scholarship penalty, remove the "free to leave" part

Joe Paterno's legacy is gone. His face wiped out from every statue and mural in Penn State all those years as head coach for nothing! Penn State will never be the same Let the Jerry Sandusky Curse cover all of Penn State from its English to Athletic Dept. It's Reputation will be covered in fire and brimestone for all eternity.