Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Lorax Guest

Ok, now I'm going to weigh in on this.

I was never advocating for an amphitheatre to be built- at least not in the near future.

I do think that a well advertised, [[perhaps PBS could broadcast it) nighttime operatic production, using the MCD as a backdrop, lit in a golden light, finished off with fireworks from a barge on the river, with thousands of attendees seated on folding chairs, and using the peripheral lawns, and you have a recipe for possibly an annual, or perhaps seasonal event, weather permitting.

If it proved popular enough, then perhaps an amphitheatre could be built. But I think for the short term, doing it this way will bring maximum exposure, a superb visual, and publicity at the least cost.

Stosh Guest

I do think that a well advertised, [[perhaps PBS could broadcast it) nighttime operatic production, using the MCD as a backdrop, lit in a golden light, finished off with fireworks from a barge on the river, with thousands of attendees seated on folding chairs, and using the peripheral lawns, and you have a recipe for possibly an annual, or perhaps seasonal event, weather permitting.
    Only if said fireworks destroy the MCS. I'd pay to see that. Gives a new meaning to "It's not over till the fat lady sings" doesn't it. You'd have better luck promoting a Martha Reeves concert down there, with a few police car spotlights highlighting the the hipster graffitti.

And the tie in to PBS is funny. Maybe they can hold a telethon for Detroit while they are at it? They seem to be good at fundraising. God only knows the city needs it.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Only if said fireworks destroy the MCS. I'd pay to see that. Gives a new meaning to "It's not over till the fat lady sings" doesn't it. You'd have better luck promoting a Martha Reeves concert down there, with a few police car spotlights highlighting the the hipster graffitti.

And the tie in to PBS is funny. Maybe they can hold a telethon for Detroit while they are at it? They seem to be good at fundraising. God only knows the city needs it.
    Funny, I think I just heard the first note.

Come Volunteer Please!

WHO:
    Anyone that would like to contribute to the redevelopment of Roosevelt Park
    WHAT:
    Help to dig, plant, move earth etc.
    WHEN:
    June 27
    10 am
    WHERE:
    Directly in front of Michigan Central Station
    WHY:
    Because this is an exciting thing for Corktown and Detroit and an opportunity to take ownership in the park's redevelopment.
    Because your help is needed.
    Because it will give you an opportunity to see the awesome work already completed.

I think this is a good idea. Even if nobody occupies the building, the owner can at least make an effort to make it look nice. Look at what the Italians do with their eyesores...

http://www.fabulouswallpaper.com/wal...ackgrounds.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3