Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stosh Guest

The article stated that the planting will cost $75,000. I mean like wow... someone saw them coming from a mile away.

Not to mention that any and all of the potential "donators" of the goods and services are notoriously absent in the news, anywhere other than Model D.

Also, curiously enough, how did they manage to get a 35,000 dollar grant from Daimler Financial, when, even when Daimler owned Chrysler, all their charitable giving was through the foundation.

The foundation's website, which is at http://www.thechryslerfoundation.com/ says:

During this transition and in recognition of the hardships facing so many of our neighbors during these challenging financial times, we are refocusing our resources to help nonprofits which provide shelter, aid and comfort to those who are most adversely impacted by this economic recession.

Smells fishy to me.
    Last edited by Stosh; June-10-09 at 03:56 PM.

Have you ever noticed that renderings of projects in Detroit, a city that is 80%+ black, are always filled with white people?

That's because these projects are dreamed up by white yuppies and hipsters oblivious to the 90 percent of the city that's black, who live in the neighborhoods and who don't give a shit about flowerbeds near the train station or silly architectural renderings for buildings in the downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Dang! Why don't you all just not drive past Roosevelt Park for awhile. It's not like you care about it anyway, so why worry about what other people are doing with their money. I'd say at least people are trying to improve something that looks like sh!t.
    I agree with wolverine here. This is the second year in a row that there has been a considerable amount of money donated and volunteers helping to make improvements to the park. No one was complaining about it last year. Why are you complaining about it now??

If you all are bitching this much about a couple flowers, I cannot wait to hear the moans once you find out what else they are going to do with the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Have you ever noticed that renderings of projects in Detroit, a city that is 80%+ black, are always filled with white people?
    That's because all of those images come from standard software packages that almost all architects use.

And none of them generate Black people?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    That's because these projects are dreamed up by white yuppies and hipsters oblivious to the 90 percent of the city that's black, who live in the neighborhoods and who don't give a shit about flowerbeds near the train station or silly architectural renderings for buildings in the downtown area.
    In a city that's 80% black why is there a perception that whites and yuppies are the ones most involved in urban renewal? Why does it always seem to be whites and suburbanites expending money and energy on these urban renewal projects and what are the consequences of this? Is it per se bad, potentially good, potentially bad or something else?

Because the city is infested with a longstanding culture of apathy that permeates everything here - the politics, the crumbing infrastructure, the insane illiteracy rate and the useless schools. A committed few try to fix things, then run into reality and quit or move out, as they have in wave after wave of renewal projects here.

What the Hell is wrong with mowing the lawn and planting flowers? Why even talk about an amphitheater when we had a good 3000 seater that is almost completely turned to dust only 3 blocks east?

Lorax Guest

As I was crucified in a previous thread for metioning this, I'll venture again to say turn on some kleig lights or giant spots, illuminating the station & tower at night, and hold outdoor operas as they do in Rome with the ruins of the Baths of Caracalla. Couldn't ask for a better backdrop for Aida!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    As I was crucified in a previous thread for metioning this, I'll venture again to say turn on some kleig lights or giant spots, illuminating the station & tower at night, and hold outdoor operas as they do in Rome with the ruins of the Baths of Caracalla. Couldn't ask for a better backdrop for Aida!
    Lorax, I supported your last idea... and I like your current one even better!!

Maybe we could have "Yanni at the American Acropolis" or "Andre Rieu at the Michigan Central"!!!

But all kidding aside... lit up at night it would make for a magnificent concert or operatic backdrop...

But are the folks of SE Michigan sophisticated enough for such an endeavor?

Sadly they're too jaded by the everyday ruins...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-10-09 at 10:31 PM.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Lorax, I supported your last idea... and I like your current one even better!!

Maybe we could have "Yanni at the American Acropolis" or "Andre Rieu at the Michigan Central"!!!

But all kidding aside... lit up at night it would make for a magnificent concert or operatic backdrop...

But are the folks of SE Michigan sophisticated enough for such an endeavor?

Sadly they're too jaded by the everyday ruins...
    Thanks for the vote of confidence- I think people could embrace the idea of honoring, and bringing attention to the plight of this mangificent building by doing such a thing.

Since it's been done before in other places, including in France at the ancient amphitheatres, why not here? It would be quite an event. And imagine the press it would create.

Time to call MOT and get this going.

Rendering also is missing that lovely razor wire chain-link fence. That'll really tie the garden together.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Rendering also is missing that lovely razor wire chain-link fence. That'll really tie the garden together.
    Some Common Ivy will take care of that.

i think the opera and kleig lights on the mcs would be the event of the season. i think thousands would come.

Lorax Guest

Does anyone have an "in" with the MOT?

Let's propose it, and see what happens. If the production values were out of budget for the MOT, then perhaps an outstate opera company could "guest" appear and pitch in for the staging.

Roosevelt park is city owned, so that part should be easy.

I can see Matted Moron screwing himself into the ground with the additional bad publicity!

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well I guess I put too much stock into the computer generated image... since you're "in the loop"... what is going to go there in the way of "plantings"...
    well, if you call driving by the place fairly often being "in the loop"....

there has been some work done over the weekend at the site. if you want to know more, i suggest you drive by and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PSewick View Post
    Ah, no one knocked on my neighbors' doors and asked if it was okay to build an *amphitheater* around the block from us. I really value peace and quiet, and I'll be really bummed if outdoor concerts ever start being held a block away.

[[Why not use the one on Belle Isle? I suspect it is not used to its full potential.)
    PSewick,
    I just wanted to let you know it was on last month residents council agenda where Phil presented this and there was an opportunity for questions... Secondly I talked with other residents council members and we agreed that this is an issue that deserves proper community input before things really take shape. I personally think redevelopment of Roosevelt Park could be a very positive thing for the neighborhood and think as long as the community is engaged and is part of the planning process. Although the first phase of the process is under way, the phase that may include the amphitheater won't even begin till next year so your voice will be heard... I will let you know when the date is officially set for a public meeting on this issue... I believe the tentative date is June 30th...

I'm sure that Roosevelt Park will look as good as it ever has and the Daimler volunteers will feel good about their community service. However, who will maintain the park after the party is over?

Click here and scroll through the shots for some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36438162@N08/3634936506/

Note: These are NOT my pictures, which is why I am providing a link and not posting the picture straight to the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine Laird View Post
    I'm sure that Roosevelt Park will look as good as it ever has and the Daimler volunteers will feel good about their community service. However, who will maintain the park after the party is over?
    The idea as I have heard it is to have roosevelt function as rosedale and clark park both do. Maintained by the community... I believe the community is given time for input and this will give them a sense of ownership over the project and thus a willingness to help maintain....

Michigan Senate Republicans believe Historic Central Depot can rise again.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/r...15&District=16

MIRepublic Guest

I'm really not quite sure why they are getting involved, but we'll take help wherever we can find it. I really do want to see it saved, but I hope they eventually rule out the law enforcement usages being proposed. To see this renovated only be transformed into some walled-off government compound that'd essentially be turned into some proverbial DofHS watchtower would be ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    I'm really not quite sure why they are getting involved, but we'll take help wherever we can find it. I really do want to see it saved, but I hope they eventually rule out the law enforcement usages being proposed. To see this renovated only be transformed into some walled-off government compound that'd essentially be turned into some proverbial DofHS watchtower would be ironic.
    I agree with you MIrepublic... but as a last resort... I'd rather see it as a restored "walled-off" building, rather than being razed.

Even if inaccessable [[as the Hurlbut Memorial Gate in front of Detroit Waterworks Park is.... can't climb the fancy stairs on the inner side)...

... it could be one of the worlds most impressive backdrops, to a Roosevelt Park Amphitheatre...if properly floodlit at night... in a style similar to the Penobscot Building lighting.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-24-09 at 02:20 AM.

I'm not sold on the amphitheatre idea because Detroit has too many of them in the first place.

The future of Roosevelt Park as a public space depends on the future of Michigan Central Station. As long as that hulk stands there like a tombstone over the city, Roosevelt Park will be a glum place.

I am a preservationist at heart, but I see great economic opportunity in MCS. High-speed passenger rail will emerge over the next 50 years as a mode of choice for many Americans. Railroad stations will re-emerge as economic engines for the communities in which they stand. If we preserve MCS, I believe it will once again serve as the gateway to our city and will drive economic development in Corktown. If we fail to preserve MCS, our kids will curse this generation of leaders for its near-sightedness and lack of imagination.

So, the work those Daimler volunteers do at Roosevelt Park is good and even more so if the residents of Corktown continue to maintain it. However, that park will never emerge as a sublime public gathering place until the train station comes back to life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast