Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Buy American Guest

Default Gm beats volkswagen, toyota to become worlds top automaker

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46058685...ws-detroit_mi/

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
    [[And especially Detroit)

Yes, cool. I hear the line up now is GM, Volkswagon, Toyota. I am not sure how Volkswagon is number 2? I've never owned a European car... I know some swear by Volks but IMO most European cars are too expensive to maintain, especially if used and that's my budget now - used. I have owned a few 'used' Toyota's [[don't hate me - smile).

Where's Ford in the hierarchy? I'd purchase a Ford before I did a Volks. They seem to be doing so well even with their subcompacts [[Fiesta) and the Fusion and Focus are great sellers from what I see on the road and the Ford showing overall at the NAIAS was good.

Should there really be a lot of crowing about this? But for a nuclear meltdown, a massive earthquake and a devastating tsunami would this be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, cool. I hear the line up now is GM, Volkswagon, Toyota. I am not sure how Volkswagon is number 2? I've never owned a European car..
    Volkswagen is the second most popular auto maker in China, and first or second in nearly every country in South America, Mexico, and a good chunk of Europe.

They are very good at making tiny, cheap cars, which there is huge demand for in a lot of the world. They have only recently started doing well in the US because they've started building larger cars for our market - tiny cars don't do well here.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Should there really be a lot of crowing about this? But for a nuclear meltdown, a massive earthquake and a devastating tsunami would this be the case?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Maybe this will put it into better perspective...

"Automotive News
    has reported that Japanese port closures effected worldwide auto industry production...
    even Ford, GM, and Chrysler-Fiat
    ."

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Maybe this will put it into better perspective...

"Automotive News
    has reported that Japanese port closures effected worldwide auto industry production...
    even Ford, GM, and Chrysler-Fiat
    ."
    c'mon.... Ford and GM had supply hiccups...Toyota couldn't build entire lines.

Look, I'm not down on the Domestic Two doing a little victory dance [[well GM at least...where was Ford?). GM's been to the brink and back. I'm just saying lets not get too crazy about it when the other guy is fighting with one arm tied behind his back. Time and time again we see this industry rest on its laurels instead of continually trying to set new benchmarks. Hopefully that is all behind us now that they've allegedly purged the dead weight and general laziness of the past. But, I think next years numbers will really tell the tale

I have had good luck with Fords and I like the company and the founder so that is all I will ever buy for my personal use. GM builds some decent automobiles they also sell some real junk, Volkswagen is the same way, some decent automobiles but also some real junk.

IMO Toyota, Honda and Ford build GOOD & CHEAP & FUEL EFFICIENT automobiles, they just dont sell them in North America. VW is too much $$$ to repair. Honda, Yota and Ford mini motors go forever. GM, Kia, Daewoo and Hyundai too.

I take part of that back too because there are many good, small, fuel efficient small cars sold in North America, many more out there in gas is $8 a gallon countries. Ford has had 70 MPG diesel Fiestas everywhere buy here for years.

muskie1 Guest

I heard today that VW did indeed beat GM. GM counted sales from a company, I think it was Chinese, that they have a minority share in to boost their totals.

Yes, the Asian, South American etc. factor explains VW cause I would not drive one. Though I have experienced the speed and power of that four cylinder dynamo engine of even a an old Rabbit! FAST! But not a car for one on a budget here. Parts too expensive, to finicky to work on. No tiny cars are not fav for American market though the Toyota Corolla has been a mainstay in the Japanese market for years, yet they've increased it size over the years?

I love what Ford has done with the Ford Focus! Refinement deluxe and not as tiny as the Feista for those who just can't do really small cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Volkswagen is the second most popular auto maker in China, and first or second in nearly every country in South America, Mexico, and a good chunk of Europe.

They are very good at making tiny, cheap cars, which there is huge demand for in a lot of the world. They have only recently started doing well in the US because they've started building larger cars for our market - tiny cars don't do well here.

YAY GM! They're number one. We can thank the bailout and the earthquake in Japan for making General Motors were it suppose to be the World's greatest Automotive Company.

I waited 30 years for this moment. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Buy American Guest

The naysayers are at it again.

Why can't some on this thread just bask in the glow of the economy making a turnaround in Michigan and Detroit....isn't that a shot in the arm for those out of work or looking for work?

When do I get my profit sharing check? After all my tax dollars kept them afloat. The assholes that ran the co down hill walked away with golden parachutes. Unfortunately letting GM go to the bottom would've taken a lot of innocent passengers along that had nothing to do with steering the ship. The Government knew that. Should've went after all the top people and made them raid their stash to keep GM afloat. Now they put out some rosy numbers to try and make it look like saving them was well worth it.

SteveJ Guest

The only problem I have is that GM is giving out these massive profit sharing checks instead of paying back more of the loan. Its like we are right where we were before the bailout. I got friends that got $10k checks. I mean its all good but its like losing your job and buying a new car the next day.

Big deal! GM is making money and the Poletown plant is working overtime, but what are the chances that a recent high school graduate from Detroit will ever get a job with GM? Read The Party's Over by Richard Heinberg if you want to know the truth,