Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Do you want to see on the Riverfront this summer???

Me personally would love to have a Wet Willies lol. But what types of vendors or events would you like to see happen this summer???

I don't really want to see any vendors on the riverfront, necessarily. Isn't our precious little waterfront already overburdened with festivals and theaters and attractions and such?

I want to see a cruise ship docked at our new port, during DEMF, with people dancing on the boat's deck.

People......and a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    Me personally would love to have a Wet Willies lol. But what types of vendors or events would you like to see happen this summer???

LB Patterson, Charles Pugh, Matty Maroun, Dan Stamper, Kwame Kilpatrick [[and pretty much his whole family, Robert Ficano and Janice Daniels all jumping from the riverwalk into the river never to be heard from again.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    People......and a lot of them.
    This says it all

Girls, girls and more girls in summer dresses that enjoy being looked at. Everybody will forget about crime and EMs for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    LB Patterson, Charles Pugh, Matty Maroun, Dan Stamper, Kwame Kilpatrick [[and pretty much his whole family, Robert Ficano and Janice Daniels all jumping from the riverwalk into the river never to be heard from again.
    Please include Monica Conyers and Marta Reeves.

Bike lanes...

How about taking those parking lots east of the ren cen and turn them into recreational fields like soccer, baseball, basketball courts, ect. Anything but parking lots!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't really want to see any vendors on the riverfront, necessarily. Isn't our precious little waterfront already overburdened with festivals and theaters and attractions and such?
    Huh? Wait, are you saying there is TOO MUCH activity on the waterfront??

I remember back in the 1980s when there were festivals every weekend down on the waterfront... the German, Polish, Italian, Yugoslavian, and many other ethnic festivals downtown that drew huge numbers of people, and made Hart Plaza and the riverfront area a big draw... add to that the Grand Prix and Hoedown, and the riverfront was a thriving place to be.

I'm curious to know what has replaced all among this list that has been lost?

I want to see retail open in the former Asian village building. A sporting gear shop could open there that sell running/walking shoes.skateboards, rollerblades, exercise attire and more.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    I want to see a cruise ship docked at our new port, during DEMF, with people dancing on the boat's deck.

Great News! I heard a major cruise is set to stop in Detroit's port this summer. It's called the Costa Concor......Oh wait. Well, maybe a dingy will float by.

Too soon....too soon!!

Stromberg2

I'd like to see some tall ships on Detroit's waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Huh? Wait, are you saying there is TOO MUCH activity on the waterfront??
    Well, I'm saying I'd like to see people, the river, go for a nice walk, see some wildlife, that sort of stuff. I think sometimes we're just so event-oriented or attraction-oriented that it junks up the low-key fun of a riverside stroll on a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Great News! I heard a major cruise is set to stop in Detroit's port this summer. It's called the Costa Concor......Oh wait. Well, maybe a dingy will float by.
    How about a new ferry service to Windsor and Points North and South?

Or maybe a $31 million expansion of the riverwalk/greenway?
    http://www.semcog.org/Data/Apps/tran...password=guest

What is a Wet Willie's?

A Wet Willie's is a beach/waterfront day bar. It serves a plethora of mixed frozen drinks. I spent many a day at the South Beach location when I lived down there. The drinks are great and the scenery even better. Right on Ocean Drive down the street from the famous Scarface hotel scene.

I agree with maxx. I'd love to see tall ships! A few years ago we attended a tall ships festival/celebration in Bay City. It was great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    A Wet Willie's is a beach/waterfront day bar. It serves a plethora of mixed frozen drinks. I spent many a day at the South Beach location when I lived down there. The drinks are great and the scenery even better. Right on Ocean Drive down the street from the famous Scarface hotel scene.
    It's too bad there's no patio type place where you can grab a drink on the riverfront. Most other cities - Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore - take advantage of their riverfront locations. Instead, Hart Plaza was designed with an underground restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's too bad there's no patio type place where you can grab a drink on the riverfront. Most other cities - Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore - take advantage of their riverfront locations. Instead, Hart Plaza was designed with an underground restaurant!
    But there is: the restaurant in the Omni Hotel [[or whatever it's now called) has a lovely outdoor terrace. Sometimes there's live low-key music. It's a lovely setting on the eastern end of the Riverwalk.

Pie in the sky dreaming here but I'd love to see both Bob-Lo boats down there again. While there isn't an amusement park to take passengers to anymore, just the cruise the river in one of those boats again would be great.

Can we get the Concert of Colors back on the riverfront, and out of the concrete and asphalt jungle that is the Orchestra Hall area? Don't get me wrong, I like orchestra hall, but I'd rather see a decent concert or ten with the river as a backdrop in the middle of summertime.

A Hooters "Riverfront" edition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast