Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

LodgeDodger Guest

Default What happened to the website earlier today?

Did the "man behind the curtain" take a nap?

I noticed that too. It seemed to be down for awhile.

Server overload. Had to reboot.

stupid servers.....

Please be advised that the board may be offline for a short period between 1-5 AM tonight. One of the RAID array drives is faulty and will be replaced by the server hosting company some time during that time slot.

detmich Guest

Sherry pulled the plug?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Server overload.
    That's what happens when there are 10 Tiger Stadium thread debates going on at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Please be advised that the board may be offline for a short period between 1-5 AM tonight. One of the RAID array drives is faulty and will be replaced by the server hosting company some time during that time slot.
    I thought RAID drives were hot swappable?

"hosting company?" is this site hosted by a stack of old computers in some ones basement? Ive used companies like bluehost, hostmonster and doteasy. I've never had downtime and have always had unlimited storage and bandwidth with php and mysql support for about 100 bucks a year. This host sounds dubious.

Does this site have its own server?

Am I the only one who loves when these guys go all geekspeak techy / jargony on us?

Go on now, someone . . . ask 'em about DTV signal strength or mobile authenticator applications or open-source video streaming.

. . . Feed us non-engineers m-o-r-e of your sweet, secret sauce laced with Linux.
    Last edited by Reality_Check; June-10-09 at 04:17 PM.

I just love how every tech person thinks he\she is smarter than the next. Every time there's an issue, you see 30 suggestions from people who have no idea what the underlying situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    I just love how every tech person thinks he\she is smarter than the next. Every time there's an issue, you see 30 suggestions from people who have no idea what the underlying situation is.
    It is true that techies are often an arrogant bunch like Nick Burns. Excuse the quality - better quality at the NBC site http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...ck-burns/2786/.

Move!

After a few years in IT you learn not to spout off too much. Else, you become the Shell answer man for every technical question or problem imaginable - free of charge no less! You learn to pick your battles, so to speak.

The simple fact is that today almost anyone curious and somewhat independent minded can spend a little time online learning a lot about most technologies. Granted, initially the knowledge attained will likely amount to no more than a wiki or cliff-notes level of knowledge. The information is out there though, if one is curious enough and has the time.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; June-11-09 at 09:12 AM.

I blame zombies.

>>>I blame zombies. <<<

Always zombies, except maybe sometimes in an election year.