Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Guardian Angels – Detroit Chapter

Last night while aimlessly surfing the web, I stumbled upon the national website for the Guardian Angels. As I scrolled through their website I noticed that the Detroit chapter had been “re-established” as of April of 2009.

I've never seen a Guardian Angel[[s) walking the streets of Detroit. Has anyone ever had any interaction with the Detroit chapter, or seen them walking around? Just curious.

do these guys still wear the ostentatious black jackets and red berets?

I remember seeing them back in the 80s walking around downtown.

I've seen them on the People Mover.

Back around 2004 or 05 there were a few of them trying to re-establish a presence around Alter and Kerchaval. I got to know one of them pretty well, we both hung out at a popular coffee house in the area that has since closed. He told me about a grand vision the GA's had for eventually patrolling the entire east side and how he came to Detroit to spearhead the effort.

The project didn't last very long and he became the tech guru at the coffee house for awhile,[[long story why a coffee house needed a tech guy) them we kind of lost touch and I'm not sure what ever happened to the GA's "vision" for the area.

The founder Curtis Sliwa is still around you can hear him on your favorite right wing radio talk show

They have been out several times in the last year walking around Midtown and the perimeter of Wayne State.

They still wear their red berets.

This sounds pretty interesting, I've never heard of them before.

What is their religous affiliation?

Re-religious affiliation...I believe they prey to the alter of "Peace through Superior firepower"...although the firepower comes in a less benign form, meaning they meet intimidation with intimidation.