Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Maple Art Theatre to close by month's end

http://www.freep.com/article/2012011...text|FRONTPAGE

As foreign film goers, my friends and I are devastated by this news. Sure Main Art in Royal Oak will be here, but it was nice to have two theatres that showed foreign/indie movies so we could have more options and more films could be shown. This is going to be a great loss for the area.

...and I just saw The Artist there on Monday...

One of the respondents noted:

"While it is true that Landmark did lose its lease, THE MAPLE THEATER IS NOT CLOSING!!!! It is simply changing ownership to a local operator. A complete renovation of the theater is planned for late spring/early summer. We are a local company and are excited to invest in this community gem!"

I hope that is true. Main/Maple have been a mainstay for Detroit alternative movies.

Not sure what "lost our lease" even means. Did not renew? Landlord decided not to renew for random reasons? Its really a meaningless term.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012011...text|FRONTPAGE

As foreign film goers, my friends and I are devastated by this news. Sure Main Art in Royal Oak will be here, but it was nice to have two theatres that showed foreign/indie movies so we could have more options and more films could be shown. This is going to be a great loss for the area.

...and I just saw The Artist there on Monday...

... only problem is that the 11/Main developers have control of the Main Art building and property, and have designs for a twin-ish apartment or condo tower on that corner when the market picks up. The development as approved had a third tower on the footprint of the E-magine theater/bowling complex that they ditched also due to market factors. There were to be three buildings... lofts, condos, and apartments. :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    ... only problem is that the 11/Main developers have control of the Main Art building and property, and have designs for a twin-ish apartment or condo tower on that corner when the market picks up. [[
    Considering the massive and ever-increasing glut of downtown RO condos, I doubt we'll see new condo towers soon, if ever.

That whole RO condo boom didn't make sense when it happened. I don't think developers will even think about new construction for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    One of the respondents noted:

"While it is true that Landmark did lose its lease, THE MAPLE THEATER IS NOT CLOSING!!!! It is simply changing ownership to a local operator. A complete renovation of the theater is planned for late spring/early summer. We are a local company and are excited to invest in this community gem!"

I hope that is true. Main/Maple have been a mainstay for Detroit alternative movies.

Not sure what "lost our lease" even means. Did not renew? Landlord decided not to renew for random reasons? Its really a meaningless term.
    If it's changing hands let's hope it doesn't change it's choice of movies and degenerate to showing only the crap put out by Hollywood. As an occasional movie goer I've enjoyed going to Maple to see movies that depend on the quality of their content rather than the names of over compensated Hollywood "stars" and their knuckle head story lines
    Last edited by coracle; January-19-12 at 09:51 AM.

This theater is quite a hike from my house on the east side but I've long been a fan of it nonetheless. They show some of the films you just cant see anywhere else.

I do have to complain about my last experience there, however. I went to see Midnight in Paris last year, shortly after it came out, and many of the older members of the audience talked through the whole film.

"I think that's Salvadore Dali," they would whisper loudly to one another. "Well, then, who is that guy?" their spouse would respond.

I wish there was a Landmark downtown.

Can highly recommend you get there soon to catch "The Artist". The film has carried home a basketful of awards lately, so there is hope it might get picked up by your local megaplex, but I have doubts.

"The Artist" is a silent film, it does have a musical/sfx soundtrack but no dialogue. No need for me to give you a review here, as there are better reviews on-line; but if you like nice storytelling, a pretty girl, handsome man and a fantastic dog - you need to get up to the Maple this weekend.

On the subject of the building itself, it has all the charm of a handball court.

I'm with 1953. I have very often made the long haul from the eastside out to Maple to see good movies unavailable elsewhere. I truly hope that they keep their indie/foreign/art film policy under the new management. The last thing this area needs is yet another multiplex showing the same ol' Hollywood crap.

I have long hoped that as Downtown and Midtown change there would be a market for a commercial theater of this sort in the central city area, as in other cities in the country. Of course, we are lucky around here to benefit from the the fine work done by the DFT at the DIA.

did they have good popcorn?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    And indeed that woman is right...I just saw a report from Channel 4 and they are getting new, local owners. They will take over in February and close in May & June for renovations. But it will be just called "Maple Theatre". The new owner said they will still show the arty movies, but may add other films, presumably mainstream movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    did they have good popcorn?
    The new owner was on 97.1 this morning and assured everybody that all they are going to do is remodel the place. He did mention that they will be keeping the current popcorn machine because it's old fashioned and people love the taste. They will also began selling kettle corn and some other kinds because that's what the public has been clamoring for.

Landmark lost their lease because I was willing to step up and commit to an investment to renovate the theater. While their company is owned by a billionaire, they seemed to not feel The Maple [[or the neighborhood) was worthy of investment. I was tired of seeing films there in uncomfortable seats and walls that were seeping water. The owner of the property and Grand Sakwa management were also tired of the condition of the theater which is why they made a change.
    We are going to continue to play Art movies, but will be playing any film I believe is a "great story". Landmark has declined to share movies on an ongoing basis, so we will not be playing films that are at The Main. However, We will play everything and anything that we believe is a quality and enjoyable film for our customers.

Direct statement from Jon Goldstein, who purchased the theater.

http://bloomfield-mi.patch.com/artic...at-month-s-end
    Last edited by SaintMe; January-20-12 at 02:08 PM.