Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

View Poll Results: Which U of M Basketball Team was better?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1989 NCAA Champions

3 60.00%
  • The Fab Five

2 40.00%

Default U of M Basketball Poll: Which is the Better Team? Fab Five or the 1989 NCAA Champs

Which is the better Basketball Team?

The Fab Five with Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson

Name:  Fab5.jpg
Views: 7766
Size:  51.2 KB

Or the
    1989 Wolverine Basketball Team and NCAA Champions with Glen Rice, Terry Mills, Loy Vaught, Rumeal Robinson, and Mike Griffin.

Name:  glenn_rice.jpg
Views: 5213
Size:  59.9 KB

What is your opinion? Who is the Better Team?

Both teams were deep with talent.
    Neither team won a Big Ten crown.
    89 team didnt come together as a team until the tournament
    89 team was in one final 4
    F5 team was in 2
    F5 team was much younger then the 89 team
    I would pick the Fab5 just because the nucleous was freshmen and 2nd year guys while the 89 team was mainly juniors and seniors
    I think the 75 team was my favorite with Campy's team a close 2nd

I'll go with the 89 team. G Rice averaged just over 30 pts in the tournament that year. I remember him bombing away from just about everywhere on the court. Robinson, Vaught, Hughes, Mills, that was a very talent and tough team.

The fab five has the honor of setting the UM program back for over a decade.

Speaking of the 75 team, I was recently talking to someone about Phil Hubbard.
    Pre knee injury he was a more talented version of Greg Kelser. He went from an above the rim player to a below the rim player and still had a pretty good NBA career. Minus that knee injury he would have been a huge star in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Speaking of the 75 team, I was recently talking to someone about Phil Hubbard.
    Phil Hubbard was very good and much better then Kelser. In his Freshman year he led UM to the NCAA championship game and was All-American. In the off season he was a member of the Olympic team that won the gold metal. In his Sophmore year we began the year ranked #1 and ended the regular season #1 but lost in the tournament. In the off season he played in the World games and going up for a rebound while another player was coming down and landed on his back. It was a very bad knee injury that took a year and a half away from his career.
    He played center and was only 6'7. His strength was his extreme quickness. The injury really took that quickness from his game. He did have a nice pro career, at least 10 years but was never the same player.

For the sake of argument, I'll say the Fab 5. Since my arguments are weak, I'll conveniently omit a few details.

The Fab5 were "funner", had a great nickname, and had a charismatic showtime appeal. Webber and Rose had good careers in the NBA, and Howard is still in it.

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    For the sake of argument, I'll say the Fab 5. Since my arguments are weak, I'll conveniently omit a few details.

The Fab5 were "funner", had a great nickname, and had a charismatic showtime appeal. Webber and Rose had good careers in the NBA, and Howard is still in it.

That's all I got.

Being a fun team does not make them the better team.

We are talking the language of Basketball. Since you wanna talk pro careers, look at this data.

The 1989 Michigan Wolverines had 5 players to go on into the NBA.

Glen Rice - 14 years in NBA, NBA Championship, NCAA Championship, 3x All Star, All Star MVP,

Terry Mills - 10 years in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Loy Vaught - 10 years in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Eric Riley - 10 year in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Rumeal Robinson - 4 year NBA Career, NCAA Championship
    Sean Higgins - 3 year NBA Career, European Leagues, NCAA Championship
    Demetrius Calip - 1 year NBA

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    Being a fun team does not make them the better team.

We are talking the language of Basketball. Since you wanna talk pro careers, look at this data.

The 1989 Michigan Wolverines had 5 players to go on into the NBA.

Glen Rice - 14 years in NBA, NBA Championship, NCAA Championship, 3x All Star, All Star MVP,

Terry Mills - 10 years in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Loy Vaught - 10 years in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Eric Riley - 10 year in NBA, NCAA Championship
    Rumeal Robinson - 4 year NBA Career, NCAA Championship
    Sean Higgins - 3 year NBA Career, European Leagues, NCAA Championship
    Demetrius Calip - 1 year NBA
    Well those are indeed compelling stats, and if accurate, probably settle the case for most people.

The question was, "which was the better TEAM"
    You cant take account what the individuals pro career entailed.

If it wasnt for BO the 89 team would have lost in the 1st round.
    Thats why they call it the team!

Admittedly my arguments for the Fab5 were weak. It was an attempt to "tell the other side of the story".

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Admittedly my arguments for the Fab5 were weak. It was an attempt to "tell the other side of the story".
    Also vetal the fab five doesn't exist. Go into the arena and look for the banners LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Also vetal the fab five doesn't exist. Go into the arena and look for the banners LOL !!
    This fact hurts.

On a positive note, there is the new Jalen Rose Leadership Academy southeast of 8 Mile Road and Greenfield Road.

It would be interesting if the fellas from either team remained close all these years later.

Fab Five...they competed at a higher level, 2 years in a row, at a younger age...89 team had better coahing and a deeper bench...