Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What sucks is I actually stayed up till 1:00am to watch it.
    Im not doing that tonight, good luck and we will see what Friday AM brings.

i don't think the Tigers are a World Series type of team so the A's may as well put them out of there misery tonight. This team is more flawed than I thought at the beginning of the year

It all went downhill rather quickly last night. I stepped away from the game and when I came back it was wham-bam thank you ma'am.

And it's almost not surprising. Valverde has kept his fans on the fence all year, only to confirm what we all suspected in the most important instance yet to date: A series clinching game.

f#&*.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm still seething. The Tigers had this game in the bag and then fat ass Valverde comes in and hands the game to the Athletics.

VALVERDE BLOWS!
    I simaltaneously knew exactly what was about to happen and was in absolute disbeleif.

I hope this guy is never allowed to throw a baseball in an MLB uniform for as long as he lives.

How bout them Tigers! Every time we think they have found a new way to blow it they somehow pull it off. It never hurts to have an ace up your sleeve either.

Yes, but its going to be a rocky ride no matter who they play NY or B-more. Good thing is it will be a 7 game series, I hate 5-game series. I think in those formats a lot of the time the best team doesn't always win. In a 7-game set I feel like either we were the better team or we didn't deserve to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    How bout them Tigers! Every time we think they have found a new way to blow it they somehow pull it off. It never hurts to have an ace up your sleeve either.
    While it's great that Verlander pitched us marvelously into the next round, we probably won't have him starting for us immediately in the next round.

But what blows me away is that none of the other teams will have their number one aces starting either. I'm still agog that all of these series have gone the full five game max to determine a winner. One couldn't set it up any better or raise the tension any higher.

Regardless if we face Baltimore or NY Yankees, I still think we have the best stud pitching that seems so freakin' evident in ALL of these games so far. We can match anyone still left in the game. We just got to get our anemic offense going and if that somehow catches fire- dare I say we'll be lining up for a parade down Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I simaltaneously knew exactly what was about to happen and was in absolute disbeleif.

I hope this guy is never allowed to throw a baseball in an MLB uniform for as long as he lives.
    I've calmed my silly ass down now. In the heat of the moment [[and 3-1 lead), Jose Vlaverde stunk the joint up. No doubt. But given what he did last year and the majority of this year, can anyone fault Leyland for putting him in there? I can't. And closers can and will get bit. Last year's perfect save record for Valverde was in-freakin' sane. How long were we going to hold him to that standard of never being able to flop.

Granted he chose what I consider one of the shittiest times to do so, but he's human. The question that's going to be on people's minds soon enough is do we bring him back? Who's our new closer if he isn't?

And before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I can almost guarantee that we'll see him pitch before long. Leyland still has to have confidence in the Big Potato. The only thing I would want Leyland to do is have a shorter leash. Who gives a flying fudsicle if he's deemed "The Closer"> if he starts faltering now in the playoffs, yank his fat ass and get Porcello, Smyley or anyone else to relieve him. He's just another arm on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

Default Valverde

I've calmed my silly ass down now. In the heat of the moment [[and 3-1 lead), Jose Vlaverde stunk the joint up. No doubt. But given what he did last year and the majority of this year, can anyone fault Leyland for putting him in there? I can't. And closers can and will get bit. Last year's perfect save record for Valverde was in-freakin' sane. How long were we going to hold him to that standard of never being able to flop.

Granted he chose what I consider one of the shittiest times to do so, but he's human. The question that's going to be on people's minds soon enough is do we bring him back? Who's our new closer if he isn't?

And before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I can almost guarantee that we'll see him pitch before long. Leyland still has to have confidence in the Big Potato. The only thing I would want Leyland to do is have a shorter leash. Who gives a flying fudsicle if he's deemed "The Closer"> if he starts faltering now in the playoffs, yank his fat ass and get Porcello, Smyley or anyone else to relieve him. He's just another arm on the bench as far as I'm concerned.
    If Leyland decides to bring in Valverde during this next series at home, I wonder if he will be booed mercilessly? I do not think any Tiger fan will forget how he single-handedly turned a win into a crushing defeat. It would be a bold move by Leyland that I hope he stays away from. But I would not put it past JL.
    On another note, I wish Leyland would put Dirks in the no. 5 spot. Young has been horrible there and he needs to send him some kind of message that the 5th spot is extremely important for this lineup and if he cannot produce then let's find someone who can. We also need AJax to start getting on more than he has. Cabrera doesn't look like he's having much fun. I'm hoping for an offensive explosion from him and Prince this next series. Should be fun. Gotta love October baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    If Leyland decides to bring in Valverde during this next series at home, I wonder if he will be booed mercilessly? !
    NO
    Good news is the west coast trips are done, no more late games.
    Well I guess untill the WS

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    NO
    Good news is the west coast trips are done, no more late games.
    Well I guess untill the WS
    All I know is if I am there and he comes out, I am booing as loud and hard as I can.
    While Jose was great last year, this year, especially late in the season, he has looked like someone who is washed up. Below average fastball and he cannot throw strikes when he needs to. His antics are getting old and he's lost his swagger. I would not be disappointed if I never see him pitch in a Tigers uniform again. We have other options so I see no reason to use him.

So we are in the playoffs and if he comes in it will probably a huge situation and you are going to BOO. That should really help.
    The guy lost his sinker. He isnt the one putting himself in the game.

So we are in the playoffs and if he comes in it will probably a huge situation and you are going to BOO. That should really help.
    The guy lost his sinker. He isnt the one putting himself in the game.
    I guarantee you, I won't be the only one.

I just got offered tickets for the next round at $145, right behind the dugout. I Guess if your gonna pay that kind of $$$ you can go ahead and boo your a.. off

I just got offered tickets for the next round at $145, right behind the dugout. I Guess if your gonna pay that kind of $$$ you can go ahead and boo your a.. off
    I've noticed how little difference there is between the best and worst seats during the playoffs. They obviously feel people will pay 100 bucks to sit anywhere but there's a threshold around 150 that's the max no matter how good the seats are. 145 behind the dugout is a steal compared to 110 in the windy upper deck.

Well, it's nice to see some of the regular posters here begin to cackle a bit about them beloved Tiger's.

My nerves are completely shot. All I can say is that, if the pitching can hold up, and especially our short relief, and even MORE particular, the ability to get outs in the 8th and 9th innings, this team should be OK.

You don't have to be the best to win. All you need to do is win.

I hope the Yankees completely implode. They are the Red Wings of MLB. [[oops, did I just say that?)

Go Tigers!

I don't care if Valverde PAYS US $9 million a year, he's done for in this town. He's lost the confidence of his team mates and he's surely soured the milk for us fans. The Potato is baked in this town.

I don't care if Valverde PAYS US $9 million a year, he's done for in this town. He's lost the confidence of his team mates and he's surely soured the milk for us fans. The Potato is baked in this town.
    This and the fucking State game... aren't sports supposed to be fun?

Valverde and Dan Roushar can both be stuffed into a trash compactor for all I care.

Leyland's [[and Dantonio) job is winning games, not showing undying loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Leyland's [[and Dantonio) job is winning games, not showing undying loyalty.
    Those guys would have OUR loyalty if they won games.

I understand that Leyland is shepherding grown professional men who are paid millions of dollars to win and might have to massage egos, but seriously what sort of damage is he doing to the rest of the team by playing that chump? Loyal to Valverde and sacrifice the entire team? Not smart.

Thankfully we won the game. It takes the stench of the Valverde 9th.

Totally unsubstantiated rumor I heard on the radio late night but supposedly Valverde has got a bum wrist and just hasn't had the same zip as he ordinarily has. If he's injured he needs to be up front and honest with Leyland- even if it's a minor thing. I get it that he's still trying to polish his turd because he's a free agent after this season, but after the last two performances- is there any team willing to take him on? I can guarantee you that these last few performances has cost him MILLIONS already.

So don't be surprised if all of a sudden from behind closed doors, Leyland and Dombrowski come out and put him on the shelf. It might save Valverde any additional grief and shame. Not that we fans are willing to forgive him for damn near ruining some great starting pitching performances- but it'd spare him barbed stares from his team mates.

Phil Coke redeeming himself in the 8th? And fanning Ibanez in the 9th?

So far so good. He's a helluva lot better than Valverde right now.

And fanning Russell Martin as well? Damn. Coke's got that bulldogged attitude that one needs to be a closer. Something we never saw in Valverde the last few times.

And now Alex Rodriguez? He finally gets a hit. Damn. I was hoping Coke would dust him and the rain of boos would come down on ARod.

Coke versus Granderson? Anyone remember the playbook on him when he was here??

Swinging and a missin'! Way to take the first two from the hated Yankees. Sanchez was masterful to say the least. And the bullpen looked good today. Kudos to Phil Coke for steadying the ship.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast