Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

We upgraded our current lineup and got another decent starter, which is great.
    Probably gave up to much but you never know. Hoepfully 4 years from now we dont look at 2 all stars for Miami.
    Now lets get a healthy Martinez back and then get cooking.

I am 401Don, Lord of the Idiots. After watching for over 4 hours, I turned off the tv in the bottom of the 10th today. Could of been worse though - Tigers could have lost or I could have been one of the thousands listening after just leaving the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I am 401Don, Lord of the Idiots. After watching for over 4 hours, I turned off the tv in the bottom of the 10th today. Could of been worse though - Tigers could have lost or I could have been one of the thousands listening after just leaving the game.
    I was one of the bad fans that was down there watching the game and left after the 9th. The wife and I were dying from sitting in the sun for so long and I was thinking "I'll be pissed if after all this, we loose the game".

We got the bright idea to have a quick meal at Traffic Jam & Snug and one of the staff told me Cleveland was up 8 to 5 in the 10th, but that she believed we would pull it out.

Just as we got into the car, I turned on the radio to hear Dan Dickerson screaming "the Tigers have just one in the most unbelievable fashion!". Needless to say, I kicked myself all the way home...
    Last edited by Detroitej72; August-05-12 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Needless to say, I kicked myself all the way home...
    Even for most of us who were home I wouldn't say I'd kick both ass cheeks for missing a part of it but it was close.

I was beat ass tired today. I was thrilled to see that the Tigers had tied it but was left sorely disappointed in the bottom of the 9th when we had the bases juiced, they had walked Miggy & Fielder, and gotten Berry to get themselves out of the inning. I stuck around and actually watched a bit more until Benoit started serving up long balls. That was prime time for me to go take a nap.

Fortunately I could still hear Mario & Rod make the call from the other room. I couldn't make out exact words but one could tell from the pitch and the excitement in their voices something was up. I haul ass out just in time to see Miggy punch one out and see Comerica Park go nuts. So I see the decisive blow but I missed the Austin Jackson & Omar Infante pokes that led up to the big swat.

Damn exciting. And as a fan of this team it was also gratifying to see Miggy drag Jackson out to the camera to take his props. He's the big stick but still gave it all up for Jackson who is having a helluva year. Nice touch.

Finally at the right place at the right time. Got free tickets by first base and brought the kids for kids day. Face painting, free rides and running the bases after the game.
    Lucky for me the kids ran the bases which forced me to stay. The ending was surreal, the stands were basically empty when the bottom of the 10th started. Dont think I will ever see an ending like that again, wow.
    I keep thinking there are people who were at game who still probably dont know we won.

Dare I say Cabrera for MVP this year? He's sure as hell making a good case for it this time around.

The Tigers are now teaching Nick Castellanos how to play right field and have sent Al Kaline to Erie to help. I hope it works outs, next year with Martinez back the only spot for Caberra is 3rd. Nick has got to find a spot and it aint 3rd for ahwile. Im not a big fan of Boesch and thats one spot that could use an upgrade.

It continues to be frustrating watching this team's inability to manufacture any runs. Even when Jackson leads off with a double they don't move him over and he's not attempting any stolen bases. The result is a less talented team like KC gets their guy on third and he scores on a broken bat over the pitcher's mound. The Tigers meanwhile sit back and wait for 3 straight hits.

and the futility continues. I don't care if the Tigers win another game this season. I would just like to see one guy move a runner over when down by one run [[as they have been their last 7 straight losses).

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    and the futility continues. I don't care if the Tigers win another game this season. I would just like to see one guy move a runner over when down by one run [[as they have been their last 7 straight losses).
    I hear what your saying, its so frustrating.
    Once in awhile they do attempt a steal, which usually doesnt work.
    Leyand likes the Earl Weaver approach, 3 run homers.
    If Billy Martin was calling the shots we would be up by 5 games easy.
    the 6-9 hitters on our team havent hit all year, stir things up, manufacturer some runs, ANYTHING..........

Lynn Henning, we love ya, baby but quit making excuses for this guy:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

I'm sure Ryan Raburn is a fine human being but in this tough brutal reality of playing professional sports, it's all about productivity. Understand we're about a blue collar as it gets here and we appreciate the guy's effort but he's slid so far down the productivity scale, he's barely Mud hens material now- and that's no insult to that level of baseball either.

Let him finish his career in Toledo because I just don't see his value to this team any more. "Saved hits" my ass.

We're in a pennant chase and for Leyland to play one of his wacked out hunches by parading this guy out is insulting to the fans. I'm tired of seeing him play his favorites. Play his personal mortal enemy for all I care- we just need results. I get it with the hunches and intuition but dammit man- there have got to be better hunches than Ryan "can't-hit-my-weight" Raburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    We're in a pennant chase and for Leyland to play one of his wacked out hunches by parading this guy out is insulting to the fans.
    Agree, let him be on the bench, pinch run or late D but thats it. Starting him was a joke.
    Right now every at bat is important

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Agree, let him be on the bench, pinch run or late D but thats it. Starting him was a joke.
    Right now every at bat is important
    Starting Raburn to every other viable bat has got to be an insult. Can you imagine if you had better speed, a better batting average, or a better glove and Raburn goes in before you get the call? And to start?

Quintin Berry is much faster by far. The bat boy has a better batting average from BOTH sides of the plate. And defensively there has to be better options than Raburn. Youth wise there has to be better from Toledo.

I understand coaches have to go with hunches all the time but Leyland's been known to kiss guys like Raburn's ass far too much. Look at how much he played Inge until he got shipped out of town.

Quite simply Raburn is NOT a major league ball player at this stage of his career. Maybe he was at one point but not any more. He just doesn't belong up here in the bigs.

That's 8 of last 10 losses by 1 run thanks in part to Infante's 8th error, same number as he made in almost twice as many games with the Marlins.

If the Tigers don't make the playoffs I hope they tell Leyland thanks for a job well done but we are moving in a different direction. I've had it with his changing lineups every game. I believe this is part of the reason that the Tigers have been able to substain a winning steak other than one or two this season.

Say what you will about this team. They're underachievers. They're over paid. They're not serious enough. They're this, that and the other thing.

But I'll never get tired of seeing this Tigers team celebrate. And while they still have a few more games to play- i think they're still going to scare some folks in the post season. With some formidable pitching, a few stud hitters in the line-up, and fewer options for Leyland to mess with [[he'd better not start tinkering again)- I think this team might do well.

Congrats for now. It's not done yet and I'm sure Mike Ilitch can still afford some more champagne if we go further.

Also did anyone notice that the Tigers were celebrating with Fre- an alcohol free booze earlier?

Had a lot of guys who had bad years. Peralta was awful, now I know why Cleveland gave up on him. Last year shows what he can do, but he just doesnt seem to make an effort.
    Avila must have had a blessed year last year, he was average at best.
    Raburn, enough said.
    Infante plays just as I remember him, barely adequate.
    Boesch is not a major league guy. Looks like Garcia is our new right fielder.
    Delmon's stats look ok, but he could be so much better. How many times has he struck out on 3 pitches and always chasing the outside curve.
    Still in the playoffs and who knows what will happen, maybe a few under acheivers can get going.

Cabrera, Triple Crown Winner.

Awesome!

Can I call it a crock of sh!t that we can't watch our Tigers on TV for Game #2 unless we have the MLB Network??

Possibly two of the most enjoyable roller coaster sort of games I've ever seen. Both have been nail biters and just a thrill to see. Cheer for either side but one could see the teams being manipulated like armies trying to gain the advantage over the other. DAMN, it's good to see the Tigers fight, claw and scrap to win again. And while Leyland still might come up with some semi-questionable moves- they're much less apparent now and not so much on a flying fancy or a whim any more.

The only player that still scares me in losing a game for us has been Benoit. He still serves up some juicy ones and has almost cost us both games. I'd say use our kissing pitcher, the Amazing Al before we have to lean on Benoit. Even as daffy as Valverde is, he's getting the job done now.

So let's kick Oakland's ass ASAP and come on back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    So let's kick Oakland's ass ASAP and come on back home.
    Agree, we are not a good road team. Would like to save JV for the next round.

Didnt understand pinch running Kelly when Berry was available, though it sure did work out in the end.
    Benoit is really dicey right now, but thats Leyand, he will stick to him.
    I wonder who's decision it was regarding Boesch, Leyland or mgmt.
    Thank you Coco for your botched play!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Agree, we are not a good road team. Would like to save JV for the next round.

Didnt understand pinch running Kelly when Berry was available, though it sure did work out in the end.
    Benoit is really dicey right now, but thats Leyand, he will stick to him.
    I wonder who's decision it was regarding Boesch, Leyland or mgmt.
    Thank you Coco for your botched play!!!
    Now I'd like to think that since this is the playoffs and we're a somewhat seasoned team, that those things would negate any home field advantage that Oakland might have. Again- a lot of mights here but in a short series with the veteran arms that we have and Oakland's propensity to strike out a lot, dare I say I'm still confident we can pull it out sooner rather than later?

The Boesch benching I thought was a relatively easy move. He wasn't hitting that well and he's never been more than just a slightly above average fielder. Now if he was still on fire at the plate towards the last few months of the season I would say he would've made it difficult for the brass- but simply put, it play dictated where he was going to be with this team in the playoffs.

Now depending on who we play next round, he very well might be counted to be added onto the roster. If we go up against a right handed pitching dominant team- Boesch very well could be counted on as a big bat from the left side and a Worth or a Kelly could ride the pine. But I'd rather not get too far ahead until we broom these pesky A's out of the ballpark.

I'm still seething. The Tigers had this game in the bag and then fat ass Valverde comes in and hands the game to the Athletics.

VALVERDE BLOWS!

It's tough to get too disappointed when this team loses. As I've said since before the season started, it's just really flawed. Signing a veteran closer and expecting to get 3 full seasons of production out of him is a huge gamble. Same with Benoit, so I hope the Tigers don't expect him to close next year.

The Tigers have a strong nucleus so we just need to find a couple of relievers, a shortstop and a veteran outfielder with power/speed and get Martinez healthy and we'll be heavy favorites next year. That said, I've never seen a season with so many mediocre playoff teams. The Tigers could still win it all this year and be the lousiest World Series Champs since the 2006 Cards.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast