Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Everybody said so what if Ilitch wants to spend 200 million on Fielder. It's his money. Problem is we now have over half the payroll tied up with 3 players. The money isn't unlimited and now we need to find another starter, a 2nd baseman, a closer, a shortstop soon and probably a right fielder. The upper two levels of the farm system are empty. Nice to have that power hitting 1st baseman though [[even if he can't field).

Sorry folks I'm just bitter because I have tickets for the series in Cincy this weekend. Oh well, it's only an 8 hour drive from Toronto and Joey Votto is pretty good.

I'd like to think that if I bitch enough here on Dyes, things will happen for our Tigers. So here's a short, brief and spirited rant...

Let's get to .500 for cry in' aloud!

Feeling optimistic about the Tigers - for next season. Hopefully by now Dumbrowski realizes you can't just sign players and build a roster by looking at their offensive stats. Everyone knows the Tigers need better defense and team speed. The good news is the Tigers should have a tremendous 1-5 lineup for next yr. with Jackson, Dirks, Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez. They need a second baseman, shortstop and corner outfielder. Fortunately Peralta and Rayburn's contracts are expiring along with Valverde's. This frees up about 15 million to fill those holes with strong up-the-middle defenders with above average range to make up for our corner infielders.
    They also need a veteran outfielder on a short contract because Castellanos will probably have to play the outfield in 2014. I worry about Avila's knees and this is why they really need to hang on to Brantley, their top catching prospect. This team may look like a mess right now but at least the core and the contracts make it a quick fix if done right.

Already looking forward to 2013!

Are Leyland and Raburn lovers?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Are Leyland and Raburn lovers?
    I think Raburn must have uncompromising nudie photos of Leyland in order to stick around here so much. Seriously playing Raburn screams so loudly of our lack of player development. You'd think there would be someone down in Toledo who could step up to the bigs and hit .175.

That sad fact falls solely on Dombrowski.

He also claims to draft all of these power arms and yet how come every off season we're out getting relievers in free agency. Where's the player development???

This is a far cry from Ilitch's other franchise [[the Red Wings) where they draft well and can actually groom them to step up into the majors. The Wings players coming up are nearly over ripe whereas the Tigers, the cupboards are butt bare.

And .500 tonight? About time.

And not meaning to be a Negative Nellie all the time about this team, props go out to Drew Smyly for pitching one heckuva Verlander-esque game yesterday. He had the strike zone sizzling and confounding the KC hitters. Personally I think the strike one was a little generous but who the hell am I watching on a TV set and one to argue Fox Sport Trax or whatever that graphic is.

Smyly was good, KC sucks. I thought the 1b for KC was so good, see he is only batting 235.
    Raburn got a hit!!!!
    Young nailed the HR, big hit for us.
    Peralta is really sucking, we need to get him going.
    Lets win the next two and go into the break with some MO.

Smyly was good, KC sucks. I thought the 1b for KC was so good, see he is only batting 235.
    Ya do know there's only 32 guys TOTAL in the majors who are hitting over .270.

Raburn got a hit!!!!
    Raburn isn't even close to hitting .270 anytime soon though.

Young nailed the HR, big hit for us.
    Three HRs in three days? Maybe Leyland's speech sparked a fire under his ass and/ or bat. Keep it going and we might not can him after all.

Peralta is really sucking, we need to get him going.
    Whatever Delmon heard from the Leyland speech needs to be replayed to Jhonny and soon.

Lets win the next two and go into the break with some MO.
    Let's also hope that the White Sox and Indians start faltering a little bit too. We need those guys to drop back into mediocrity but soon too.

As easy as it is to be playa hating on some of these Tigers, Delmon Young went yard again and Jhonny Peralta suddenly decided to get hot as well. It's nice to see the right side of the dish finally wake up. Jackson's on a 13 game hitting streak and for the Quintin Berry dream within a dream- he's still making it happen. Prince is finally starting to hit some multiple run homers which is nice as opposed to his one shot, relatively inconsequentially timed runs. Timeliness is good.

And the Sox and Indians flopped in the heat too.

Helluva way to go into the All Star Break.

Please Delmon, stay away from the bars on this break.

[QUOTE=Thruster315;329550]Ya do know there's only 32 guys TOTAL in the majors who are hitting over .270.

Where did you come up with that ridiculous number? Ya do know that would be one per team?

Since Thruster directed that at my comment about KC's first baseman and I didnt think it to be true I did some research.
    If you look at the American League and then look at everday players [[250 AB's and above) you will find about 32 players hitting over .270
    Its the same criteria for a batting champ, you need a minimum at bat to be over a certain point.
    so there....

Since Thruster directed that at my comment about KC's first baseman and I didnt think it to be true I did some research.
    If you look at the American League and then look at everday players [[250 AB's and above) you will find about 32 players hitting over .270
    Its the same criteria for a batting champ, you need a minimum at bat to be over a certain point.
    so there....
    Sorry but he said "TOTAL in the majors" and the current mlb total batting .270 or better with over 250 AB's is 75.

I hope Fielder saves some HR's for the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Sorry but he said "TOTAL in the majors" and the current mlb total batting .270 or better with over 250 AB's is 75.
    Okay, my bad. Only in the American League then. My point is still that hitting over all in both leagues is for sh!t right now. Even 75 total is a dismal number. Pitching has been dominant.

And can someone please extricate Chris Berman from calling anything in professional sports? Please?? His schtick is so freakin' tired already.

I can tell you exactly his lame routine for the Home Run Derby already:

"Back, back, back, back...."
    "He hit that one all the way to [insert nearby city's name here]"

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Okay, my bad. Only in the American League then. My point is still that hitting over all in both leagues is for sh!t right now. Even 75 total is a dismal number. Pitching has been dominant.
    And I don't see it getting any better. As long as you have starting pitching going 5/6 innings then a set-up guy then the closer its going to be hard to hit for average. They asked George Brett if there will be another 400 hitter and he said no for that very reason.

I hope Fielder saves some HR's for the 2nd half.
    As long as they throw it inside and low he'll be blasting dingers.

And can someone please extricate Chris Berman from calling anything in professional sports? Please?? His schtick is so freakin' tired already.

I can tell you exactly his lame routine for the Home Run Derby already:

"Back, back, back, back...."
    "He hit that one all the way to [insert nearby city's name here]"
    Foster and Wojo were talking about that on the Valente and Foster show and I couldn't help but laugh as Berman was going thru his lame schtick during the home run derby.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Foster and Wojo were talking about that on the Valente and Foster show and I couldn't help but laugh as Berman was going thru his lame schtick during the home run derby.
    I cringe knowing that ESPN is actually going to give Berman a shot to call the Sept. 10th football game between the Chargers & Raiders. it's a Monday Night game too.

Why can't ESPN figure out that his schtick is tired and played out now? But these are also the geniuses that think Matt Millen is still qualified to call football too.

With regards to baseball, all ESPN really seems to cover is Boston & New York. Uh, hello? There's the rest of the country with some pretty good ball being played too.

Regarding the HR derby telecast, thankfully I was in a bar and could barely hear Berman. What was really strange was when George Brett was on. He talked constantly, while Kruk ate ribs and the other guy just kept nodding. Then a ball player came over and started eating the ribs as well.

With regards to baseball, all ESPN really seems to cover is Boston & New York. Uh, hello? There's the rest of the country with some pretty good ball being played too.
    The East Coast bias drives me crazy as well.

Overheard in Section 132 at Comerica Park after the Tigers took the half game lead over the White Sox:

"Let's hang onto that first place spot like you would hang onto the hottest piece of ass at the prom"

Stay classy, Detroit.

Job well done by Porcello. He hung in there and I was really pulling for him to have a complete game. Grand time at the ball park.

1 1/2 game lead, 300 for Cabrera, and a first major league win for Turner. All in all, a pretty good day at the Copa.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...text|FRONTPAGE

After spending all the money on Fielder, we were clearly in win now mode. Still, it seems like a lot to pay for a decent starter who's contract expires and Omar Infante. I'm not that worried about losing Turner. He appeared overrated. A sinkerballer along the lines of Porcello. I don't understand how the organization was so high on the guy when he doesn't have that power arm they supposedly love. Catching prospects on the hand are in short supply in the majors and I think they should have gotten more for Brantly plus Turner. Hard to believe Infante is still only 30 yrs. old. Seems like yesterday he and Santiago were together as rookies giving Alan Trammel nightmares.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast