Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dan Gilbert for Mayor 2013

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...g-booster/932/

He really has his head on straight, others need to follow. I love this guy, my brother from another mother. HE UNDERSTANDS..

Yes he does. I've had the pleasure to meet him twice and he seems like the real deal. He's smart and somehow he is able to get things done. I'd bet that he can have more impact as a government outsider, but hell, if he wants to give it a shot, I'm all for it. Cleveland wants him too.

Though I strongly disagree with the "street car" idea, I'd vote for him. We need a good cheerleader in Detroit that can entice others to invest. The current clowns are more concerned with their own egos, finding ways to raid the coffers and getting face-time to actually do anything constructive. The only other "potential" candidate I would consider is Gary Brown...however, there is just something I haven't put my finger on that I don't trust with him.

Right now, I don't see any current city/state official, nor politician running for Mayor and have the same dedication and willingness as Gilbert's. It will probably be myself who'll run..just saying. I want to get rid of these foolish public officials and others, whom held us back and currently doing such. Mike " Sea of vacant parking lots" Illitch needs to chat with Gilbert. Dan understands what is needed to keep and retain the creative folks to Live, Work, and Play downtown. The reasons for his move downtown was to get rid of those yards of asphalt [[parking lots), he wants connectivity. Read his interview..

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Though I strongly disagree with the "street car" idea, I'd vote for him. We need a good cheerleader in Detroit that can entice others to invest. The current clowns are more concerned with their own egos, finding ways to raid the coffers and getting face-time to actually do anything constructive. The only other "potential" candidate I would consider is Gary Brown...however, there is just something I haven't put my finger on that I don't trust with him.

What on earth are Gilbert's qualifications to run a city? Just 'cause you like the guy doesn't mean he'd do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What on earth are Gilbert's qualifications to run a city? Just 'cause you like the guy doesn't mean he'd do a good job.

What does it take to impress you?

But frankly, he may do more good for the city by providing leadership in investment and installing some of the features that downtown users sorely miss. If he can sow the seeds of small businesses in the cbd, in his own properties, that will give a better chance at renewal than getting bogged down in center stage politics. Mind you, Detroit needs talented and visionary leaders who can get things going and not drop the ball. If he is willing to go to city hall, I will vote for him, umm, in my own proxy canucky kind of way.

Well said! He's a LEADER..which in turn, run a city. I'm sure there's more to it, but he understands the obstacles and is trying to tackle it now, well in Downtown proper. He knows where to invest and how to run it..in my eyes, thats all you need. Name someone who's in better position to run that's sooo ambitious and eagar for the importance of a strong urban-core? I'm waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

But frankly, he may do more good for the city by providing leadership in investment and installing some of the features that downtown users sorely miss. If he can sow the seeds of small businesses in the cbd, in his own properties, that will give a better chance at renewal than getting bogged down in center stage politics. Mind you, Detroit needs talented and visionary leaders who can get things going and not drop the ball. If he is willing to go to city hall, I will vote for him, umm, in my own proxy canucky kind of way.
    Last edited by gthomas; January-17-12 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Oh, I don't know, maybe some kind of clear commitment to the welfare of the city and all its people. Sound, specific policy ideas for following through with that commitment based on a clear, informed analysis of Detroit's strengths and weaknesses and the needs of its people. A vision for the future [[of the whole city, not just a few blocks of Woodward), and the ability to build a constituency behind it. Some kind of wonkish policy experience, and a commitment to critical, fact-based analysis of policy proposals as part of the decision-making process. I could go on all night, but you get the idea.

Gilbert talks a good game, and I'd love for his downtown-revitalization efforts to succeed, but basically his only proven area of expertise is selling shitty subprime mortgages. The Bing administration should have taught us everything we need to know about electing businessmen with no political or policy experience, but apparently DetroitYes in its infinite wisdom wants nothing more than to double down on that mistake.

I can go on and on also about how great Gilbert can and will do as a Mayor of Detroit. You can not compare Gilbert's business aspects to Mayor Dave Bing's..clearly two different guys. I dont need to explain, if you know about Bing Group and his "NON" accomplishment/ Developments and Dan Gilbert's accomplishment/ Development...enough said..RIGHT? If given the opportunity to run for office I'm sure he will be prepared and do his studies. It's not that hard..He is a leader outside of a business man, Mayor Bing lacks that.

Oh, I don't know, maybe some kind of clear commitment to the welfare of the city and all its people. Sound, specific policy ideas for following through with that commitment based on a clear, informed analysis of Detroit's strengths and weaknesses and the needs of its people. A vision for the future [[of the whole city, not just a few blocks of Woodward), and the ability to build a constituency behind it. Some kind of wonkish policy experience, and a commitment to critical, fact-based analysis of policy proposals as part of the decision-making process. I could go on all night, but you get the idea.

Gilbert talks a good game, and I'd love for his downtown-revitalization efforts to succeed, but basically his only proven area of expertise is selling shitty subprime mortgages. The Bing administration should have taught us everything we need to know about electing businessmen with no political or policy experience, but apparently DetroitYes in its infinite wisdom wants nothing more than to double down on that mistake.

DC48080 Guest

Onr thing you are conveniently forgetting is that there is very little, if any, chance that Gilbert would want to run for Mayor.

Why in the world would he want to step away from his very lucrative businesses to run the hell hole that is Detroit? Why would he want to take the pay cut? Why would he or anyone else for that matter want to put himself through the agony that is Detroit politics?

I'm sure Mr. Gilbert is quite happy with his life and his career path just the way it is right now.

A leader, LEADS. Why not take that proper step to correct it from the top. Become known for getting Detroit out of a "Hell Hole". "Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality," Those are the roles to play when you make such decision[[s). You can't speak for him and really doesn't know what his goals are, he is a risk-taker. Life is a risk, if you sitting back worrying about it you will be left behind. That's what drives a leader, how do I know? I'm a "LEADER"...

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Onr thing you are conveniently forgetting is that there is very little, if any, chance that Gilbert would want to run for Mayor.

Why in the world would he want to step away from his very lucrative businesses to run the hell hole that is Detroit? Why would he want to take the pay cut? Why would he or anyone else for that matter want to put himself through the agony that is Detroit politics?

I'm sure Mr. Gilbert is quite happy with his life and his career path just the way it is right now.
    Last edited by gthomas; January-17-12 at 05:31 PM.

Whether or not Gilbert is a "LEADER", you seem to have no clue as to the depths of the problems in Detroit and the limited ability that any mayor, even someone as motivated as Gilbert, has to fix those problems. You can no more "fix" Detroit as the Mayor than Snyder can "fix" Michigan as Governor or Obama can "fix" the US as President.

My only reluctance about Dan Gilbert being the mayor stems from the fact that he'd have to step aside as an active private developer. His company buys and sells a lot of property, some with the city. He will also have lots of zoning/infrastructure/tax issues with new developments. There would be real conflicts of interest to continue with them while being mayor.

As mayor, I think he has vision, leadership, and of course he has an A+ in the cheerleading department. What he'd also need- and I suspect he has- is the ability to not care if he's hated. A good mayor of Detroit right now will have to cut services and lay people off. Necessary to be sure, but will render any mayor unpopular. The next great mayor of Detroit [[Hazen Pingree, where are you?) will need to be willing to take a lot of bullets [[hopefully not literally).

I would like Gilbert to at least suggest someone who would make a great mayor, assuming he stays with his business full time.

I'm just gonna come out and say it: Will Detroit elect a white mayor? An "Outsider"? Do you really think he has a shot at being mayor, if he even wanted that job?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm just gonna come out and say it: Will Detroit elect a white mayor? An "Outsider"? Do you really think he has a shot at being mayor, if he even wanted that job?
    Awhile ago, polls showed Geoffrey Feiger would have had a shot [[ah, what a bridgebuilder he would have been!). I think most citizens in Detroit would vote for anyone of great stature they thought could help. Some people, both black and white are bigots, but most people would be willing to vote for an outstanding candidate. Hey they voted for a decades-long suburbanite [[Bing). I'm much whiter and much younger than Bing, and have lived more years in Detroit than he has.

I think Shelia Cockrel could have a decent chance of being elected if she chose to run. She regularly was one of the top vote-getters in her City Council races. I also think she'd have a good chance of beating John Conyers in the congressional race.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Detroit will elect a white mayor when a white candidate who show's an interest in the needs of the current residents, runs for office. Although many people are nostalgic about Detroit prior to Coleman Young, you must realize Black people did not share that same level of prosperity. Blacks were systematically TERRORIZED [[i.e. Dr. Ossian Sweet), by the white residents and leaders of Detroit, which caused 3 riots in 1863, 1943, and 1967. This was the reason that Blacks voted for a Black person in the first place! Contrary to popular belief, Coleman Young never told whites to leave Detroit, but he did tell criminals to hit 8mile. But as I digress, Black people want to see the city prosper just as much if not more than Whites, and before Dan Gilbert [[or any other candidate, white or black) consider an office they must first connect with the people who are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    Detroit will elect a white mayor when a white candidate who show's an interest in the needs of the current residents, runs for office. Although many people are nostalgic about Detroit prior to Coleman Young, you must realize Black people did not share that same level of prosperity. Blacks were systematically TERRORIZED [[i.e. Dr. Ossian Sweet), by the white residents and leaders of Detroit, which caused 3 riots in 1863, 1943, and 1967. This was the reason that Blacks voted for a Black person in the first place! Contrary to popular belief, Coleman Young never told whites to leave Detroit, but he did tell criminals to hit 8mile. But as I digress, Black people want to see the city prosper just as much if not more than Whites, and before Dan Gilbert [[or any other candidate, white or black) consider an office they must first connect with the people who are already there.
    Spot on post.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    Very well said De'troiter.

It's really sad that you even had to explain yourself. Just goes to show how much sheep people are. I don't have much an opinion about Gilbert's potential as a politician one way or the other, which is why I'm kind of taken aback how anyone could put him up for job as a politician without knowing any of his political views. Honestly, I'm astounded by this. He might very well make a good politician, but what in the hell do we know about his political views? Hell, we don't even know some politician's views before he or she is elected to a higher office, and people are just going to cheerlead a guy we know absolutely nothing about in a political context?! Honestly? Are people this vapid?

Sounds to me that if anything, we've seen this show before, and that perhaps people should be more willing to kick the ties, and less willing to just assume things about people they don't really know.

BTW, the race thing is overplayed. If there are not viable white candidates for mayor it's not because they are white, but because like in most older, established cities, they don't have recent history and/or a powerbase/network in the city that you need to turn out the vote. Bing didn't live in the city, but he had a chance, because he had a long-time business headquartered in the city, co-opted existing electoral and political infrastructure [[mostly Kwame's believe it or not), and then built his electoral and political infrastructure atop that. Oh, and a sh%tload of money relative to his opponents, and knowledge of the city's political gatekeepers.

Detroit's not going to elect anyone mayor that swoops in from outside without any idea of the political powerbrokers in the city and its social networks, black or white or otherwise, and this is true of most any older city. They also aren't going to elect anyone whose entire experience in the city exists downtown. Even the great Coleman Young began to catch hell later in his reign because of his singular downtown focus. As in any city, a candidate is going to have to be as familiar with Evergreen in 7 Mile as he or she is with Woodward and Michigan. He or she is going to have to hit the community center circuit, be familiar with the faith communities, etc...
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-18-12 at 06:57 AM.

Detroit does need a white mayor and his name is Dan Gilbert.

Welcome to Quicken City!

Detroit has an 83% black population...

Detroit will NEVER have a white mayor in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Detroit has an 83% black population...

Detroit will NEVER have a white mayor in my lifetime.

Flint, MI and Gary, Ind. had a white mayor and both were fine for the moment. Detroit can have a white mayor in the black community, too.

Of course not! Don't you know all of us Detroiters only vote off of race?! The outcome could only possibly be this- 83% of the votes goes to the Black person and the rest to the non-Black person.

Thank you BasementBeat,

In a perfect world, race would be a non-factor but in the real world...it is what it is.

Sorry Danny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast