Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where Was This Taken? [[1940s)

I'm trying to get some information from my 86 year-old mom on various photos and this one has us both stumped. Can you guys help? My mom worked at the tobacco company in the 1940s and would spend her lunch hour at the record store next door. The tobacco store was owned by a nice Lebanese family named Thomas, who we are still friendly with, but the kids can't remember where it was, either. Ma thinks it was somewhere on Mack but we're not 100% sure of the address or cross streets. Can you pinpoint the location? Thanks. You guys are the best!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The address is 7912 Mack Ave Name:  jaycee music.JPG
Views: 1812
Size:  21.4 KB

Well, apparently the music store has gained some notoriety, and I know the tobacco store ran afoul of the ATF when they forgot to pay federal taxes.....

Thank you,
    jcole
    you've answered some questions for me in the past and I appreciate your awesome research skills.

FYI: Both buildings are gone now, but 7900 Mack [[a charming corner building, now for sale) still stands. RIP my ma's old 'hood!
    Last edited by kathy2trips; January-16-12 at 03:18 PM. Reason: new info

Just west of Van Dyke, I'd say. Street view shows nothing original left on the north side of the street.

You're very welcome Kathy. I enjoy doing it

Wow...those were the days... "Candy, cigars, cigarettes, papers, school supplies" Now adays we don't even like Ronald peddling cheeseburgers to the kids!

You bet! "The Greatest Generation" grew up to become great, despite the non-PC environment. Sure makes you think..........

Great find. That's why I love this forum.
    WOW look at those prices for being the 40's?
    Stereo wasn't even invented yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Wow...those were the days... "Candy, cigars, cigarettes, papers, school supplies" Now adays we don't even like Ronald peddling cheeseburgers to the kids!

I agree ,also nowadays people go to evil Wal Mart to get their sundries which is probably why those stores went by the wayside.

I'm going to the hospital now to see Ma, so I'll bring the laptop to show her this thread [[and ask if I can post more pix from the old neighborhood). She'll really get a kick out of this! LOL
    Last edited by kathy2trips; January-16-12 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EZZ View Post

Is that how far back that listing is from, Jcole?! I'd love to put those prices into a dollar inflation calculator to see what they'd be worth today.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Is that how far back that listing is from, Jcole?! I'd love to put those prices into a dollar inflation calculator to see what they'd be worth today.

Cheers!
    It was in the Oct. 5, 1946 edition of "The Billboard"

Stereo? No, no ma'am...the camera shop is across the street...what we're talking about here is the finest in electrically produced sound! But, fear not - there's a Radiola for every purse!

These superhetrodynes require no external antennae and NO BATTERIES!

And I assure you, with these fine cabinets - in your choice of wood - your investment will outlast even the two of us!

Please...with your permission, let the machine do the talking...relax...and listen to crisp, clear sound...as if the announcer were standing right here!

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I am also amazed at how expensive a phonograph was. Jeez.

So this would roughly be the same vantage point.

The brickwork on the left seems to be the same as in that vintage photo. So that semi storage lot would be the place where these stores used to be.

Default Denzier Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

The brickwork on the left seems to be the same as in that vintage photo. So that semi storage lot would be the place where these stores used to be.
    I think you may be onto something there! The brick does look patched in key places. They have taken the care to match the brick as close as possible, possibly using reclaimed brick. I guess only a Sanborn [[insurance) Map would tell us for sure.

RE: 7900 Mack [[on the corner of Beals).....The tiled entry [[don't you love those?) at the front door spells out "Denzier Bros." Any clues to what business that was?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Great pics, thanks for sharing. I am also amazed at how expensive a phonograph was. Jeez.
    Look at the brand names...I think these are jukeboxes, not record players.

Looks like they sold home furnishings.
    From the 1928 Polk's

Name:  deinzerbros.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  13.3 KB
    Last edited by jcole; January-16-12 at 10:42 PM.

Here's a label from a dining room set they sold. I found it on an antique site.

Name:  deinzer2.JPG
Views: 1554
Size:  29.2 KB

I don't know if the 2900 Mack is a mistake or if they moved from 7900 to 2900

I'd be some money that you pegged it right. If you look at the sidewalk it seems to line up and if you pan to the left a bit in the google image you can see that where the utility pole is in the old image is a newer piece of concrete in the sidewalk...

Those were jukeboxes, not your table-top Victrola.

"Wow...those were the days... "Candy, cigars, cigarettes, papers, school supplies""

Yeah, today we just call those places "CVS".

You can get booze and drugs there, too. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here's a label from a dining room set they sold. I found it on an antique site.
    Wow...so great you found that! I don't know what you do for a living, but you sound like a born researcher.

Seems like there were A LOT of furniture stores in Detroit. Most of the inventory made in the USA, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast